How are you getting on?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi I thought it would be interesting to see how each of us are getting on and what stage they are at...Me I'm just past the three week mark, pain in big toe, also numb and white painful if I try to bed it. I get a lot of pain across the top of my feet, which I would be interested if anyone else has because I had this befor the operation and want to know if I have made it worse. 

My foot is still VERY swollen.. Scar is healing nicely but scab not come off yet...

What about the rest of you how are you getting on ? X

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi. 9.5 weeks. Less swelling now aNd base of my big toe is not so thick which helps it to bend a little more.  Painful to try and raise onto toes with weight on though so I just do a few of these a day.  I went back to work this week and was tired at the end of the day and foot was more swollen..not hot though so uses the alternative hit and cold water for five minutes and that seemed to help.

still only in larger sized trainer, ugg style or croc and don't see that changing for a while due to the lack of bend in toe and nervous around forcing my foot into anything else while I learn to walk again. My ankle is sore that maybe due to bruising remaining form op and lack of much exercise.

top of the foot has a small dimple scar on it that stays depressed when the foot swells ask looks very odd.  Think it was cut when the plaster came off.

scar looks good. Massaging with bio oil and final scab bit came off last week.  Still feels odd so some lack of feeling but not completely numb.

the new position of my toes has provided relief on the Middle toe which was suffering a deformed nail so hopeful that may eventually grow plan again.

this forum is helping me to feel less isolated but also makes me nervous of pushing myself when I hear other stories of pain so unsure whether I should be further on by now! I think it is useful for checking your progress with others week by week which you just don't get anywhere else!

Back at hospital for check on 1/4.

good luck everyone

• Posted

Hi. 9.5 weeks. Less swelling now aNd base of my big toe is not so thick which helps it to bend a little more.  Painful to try and raise onto toes with weight on though so I just do a few of these a day.  I went back to work this week and was tired at the end of the day and foot was more swollen..not hot though so uses the alternative hit and cold water for five minutes and that seemed to help.

still only in larger sized trainer, ugg style or croc and don't see that changing for a while due to the lack of bend in toe and nervous around forcing my foot into anything else while I learn to walk again. My ankle is sore that maybe due to bruising remaining form op and lack of much exercise.

top of the foot has a small dimple scar on it that stays depressed when the foot swells ask looks very odd.  Think it was cut when the plaster came off.

scar looks good. Massaging with bio oil and final scab bit came off last week.  Still feels odd so some lack of feeling but not completely numb.

the new position of my toes has provided relief on the Middle toe which was suffering a deformed nail so hopeful that may eventually grow plan again.

this forum is helping me to feel less isolated but also makes me nervous of pushing myself when I hear other stories of pain so unsure whether I should be further on by now! I think it is useful for checking your progress with others week by week which you just don't get anywhere else!

Back at hospital for check on 1/4.

good luck everyone

• Posted

Oops not sure why it is there twice!  Not user friendly enough to delete I don't think! 😜
  • Posted

Hi Sue, I'm five weeks post conventional surgery on 1 foot, I'm having the other done later this year,really can't wait! Wondering if progress is faster for those of you who have had minimal invasive surgery? Though I guess most of you would have had both feet done at once then,you brave people! I've been weight bearing for a couple of weeks, overall not really had too much pain in my foot but do get aches in my leg and hip from walking differently. I might be out of my lovely velcro shoe on Monday and into trainers which I'm feeling both excited and more than a little scared about!! 
    • Posted

HI Bee, yes that shoe really does throw our hips and back out. I have not got the best posture and back, and I find all this sitting around does me no good either..I like many others I'm sure, will be glad to wave goodbye to my lovely black shoe 😄
  • Posted

Great idea for discussion for discussion Sue. Wishing all of you a speedy recovery into lovely shoes before too long!
  • Posted

Hi,

I am just five weeks post bunion surgery.Also had 2 toes straightened and wires are coming out tomorrow. Foot is still swelling but seems to be slowing down

I can fully weight bear in my surgical shoe but have only pottered around house and still spend long periods of time with foot elevated.

Have ventured out and into a couple of shops but felt as if I had attempted a marathon

Sometimes still feel some soreness in the bunion area but most of the time it is not too bad

Seems like a very long journey and nice to hear about how others are progressing

• Posted

Thank you all for participating in these discussions. I feel a great support community here. Especially with all of the experiences shared. I'ved learned so much from all of you; mostly because docs don't share a lot of the little things that can help during recovery. I am 4 weeks 3 days post op. I had a complicated bunionectomy, 6 screws, tendon transfer, hammer toe straightened. I advanced to a new shorter boot this week, and am allowed to heel walk with crutches. I'm off the narcotics for pain, and am starting physical therapy next week. I have been getting these sharp pains in my big toe lately. They are zingers!! Don't last for long, but really hurt. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice how long they will last, or how to not have them? I also started on vitamin D and vitamin B- complex each day. I also am suppose to start these warm/ cold soaks to my foot which is suppose to open and close the capillaries and improve blood flow. Has anyone had to do these? The doctor said they might be painful, but to do them anyway.
    • Posted

Hi Molly I had bunion and hammer toe surgery on both feet 10 days ago. After 7 days I was out in the walking boots and as soon as I stood up and took my step I had this excruciating sharp pain in my big toe. I stopped walking and waited until the next day and tried again. I still get the sharp pain now and again. I think it's because I have been walking on my heels and my feet are not used to the  confines of the boot. As of yesterday the pain is better, so I am hoping it will stop as I get more used to walking in the boot. Hope yours will get better soon. I am using the ice packs but have not been told about heat pack. I am seeing my surgeon on Wednesday to have the stitches on the hammer toe taken out, I have dissolvable stiches on the inside of the foot where the bunion surgery was done. I will ask him about the heat packs as well.
    • Posted

HI Molly, if those zingers as you call them are deep in the bone, a bit like the old sharp quick pains I used to have before my operation but on to of my toe rather than at the side of the foot. Yes I am having them too, love the name by the way, zingers is an excellent name.. They last a few seconds and are very painful..hopefully they are just the bone healing but not sure, perhaps someone else gets them and has asked their doctor on here.. Sounds like your hospital is looking after you very well..might try those soaks when my scab comes off..what with them and the olive oil and epsom salts soaks my feet will look lovely by the time I have finished..
  • Posted

I wrote here a couple of weeks ago about my foot. It all went pear shaped (not literally), had my op in October but "it's all shifted" is what they said at hospital so they want me to go in again for it to be sorted, the is time they said they'll go in through the ankle and itll be a bigger operation.
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear about that Jane, wishing you luck, and a speedy recovery.. I really feel for you, Xx
    • Posted

I too would like to send my best wishes to you Jane.  I really hope all goes well this time. x

• Posted

Hi great to hear of everyone's recovery and to hear mostly good recovery for all with only odd hiccup. I'm coming up to week 3 post op and pleased with recovery so far not much pain now still swelling a bit although more in afternoon I am weight bearing fully in my post op shoe, I had osteotomy of toe and foot with pins in place I've been told these will stay in, bruising is now minimal scar healing ok still have very sore parts there and some numb bits too big toe is numb in parts and swollen and stiff but exercises seem to be helping, I've walked over a mile today and felt fine although a lots slower and foot sore tonight but swelling still not too bad, back to see consultant end of April and not back at work until occupational health apt on 9th so far so good but scared to try proper shoes as much as I dislike look of post op shoe it's become my best friend lately smile
    • Posted

wow you walked over a mile!! thats amazing i dont think i could do it, i havent got a numb toe but is very stiff, i also had extremly dry skin under my foot which was awful so iv been creaming around by scars and massaging to help get feeling back, it really helps! x
    • Posted

Ive got very dry skin too and find massaging cream into my foot is helping walking hasn't been too bad last two days but im careful to make sure it's flat even ground I had numbness in my toe prior to surgery so I expect it may stay that way bending the toe is difficult I have to help it along I'm hoping as the swelling subsides the movement will get easier, I believe listening to your body helps if it hurts too much then prob means too early or overdoing it if my foot starts aching or getting sore I take shoe off and elevate foot smile good luck with yr recovery it's all got to be worth it in end even tho at the time feels like never ending but what's a few weeks if it means pain free feet for the future x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.