Total left reverse shoulder replacement - please help!!

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi there, I'm very new to this so please bare with me. My name is laura, I have just turned 32 yearsOld and just had operation number 17 on my left shoulder, the latest in the long line was a total reverse replacement on 25/05/13, I know some of you will be thinking its too soon to tell if it has worked or not but here are my concerns - ever since the surgery I have been in an awful lot of pain, to the point that walking is painful as my operated shoulder feels very loose and that its moving about, also my shoulder looks like it has dropped more every day, I am wearing the sling as I have been advised but its still feels very painful and loose. I have been put on very strong pain killers (dihydrocodine, oxynorm(immediate release), OxyContin(Slow release), paracetamol and ibuprofen, and after taking them I'm still in pain, and its obviously stopping me from sleeping,

My surgeon has told me that there is only about 5 people of my age that he knows of that has this op as they don't like doing it on "young people".

Has anyone had this operation, and is how and what I am feeling normal?

I look forward to any advice or comments,

Thank you in advance.

Laura

P.s I know this is going to sound a little strange, before leaving the hospital, I took a picture of the X-ray of my shoulder post op so I could show my son. I have been told (as previously said) that I had a Total reverse replacement, after looking for forums about shoulders I come across photos, and my replacement does not look like the photos I have seen online. If anyone knows anything about this and would be willing to take a look that would be amazing - just want to check I'm not going mad

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I see that you are in Alabama i know it would be a ride for you to NOLA  but at tulane sports med his name is Dr Feliex Savoie phone number is 504-988-8476 i would talk to your doctor first and if no help call Dr Savoie it is the best advice i can give you i know the problems i been through 4 failed repairs until i found him i suffered
  • Posted

I am 45 now, had it the week of my 43rd birthday.  Yes, shoulder is still sore (probably a 3-4 out of 10).  It feels like it has dropped a little bit, as well.  The biggest issue I have is elbow pain (either ulna or radial nerve pain).  Rehab was going good, but about 6 months after the surgery I started getting the nerve pain.  It always makes my arm "give out" when I go to shake hands with someone, I did a nerve study and it showed nothing.  I really want to try Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection Therapy with stem cells, but insurance doesn't cover it and it is about $10k.  - I'm in the lab business, so I know stem cells can be bought for $500-700 and the total cost is about $1k...I found a few places in the midwest that will do it for $2500-3000...so, I might try it.  At minimum I will try PRP.

If you can get by with Extra Strength Tylenol do it...get off the OXY.  I will also tell you try the BUDWIG DIET and FISH OIL.

Dr. Budwig was using organic flaxseed oil combined with organic low fat cottage cheese in preventing and curing Cancer and Chronic Diseases. ...Simply put...its a MIRACLE to use this.  Take 3 spoonfulls of flaxseed oil (get the good stuff (the actual liquid)...and mix 3 spoonfulls of lowfat cottage cheese ...use a magic bullet.  You can even throw in a little fruit to make it taste better.  Eat it 2-3 times per day and within 3-4 days the inflammation and pain will go down significantly.  Also, Fish Oil has been proven to lower inflammation (my regular doctor ...Dr. Morcos lead the study on it in the 1990s). ...Fish oil will definitely help, you will want to take about 2000 IU twice a day.  If you can also do some vitamin D.  - I will advise you stay away from pills...get these in liquid form if you can.

I really think PRP or PRP with Stem Cells will help you.  Definitely try the above, as well.

FYI...had a total shoulder replacement (chondrosarcoma) when I was 18...in 1992, then another one in 1994.  Lived with a dislocated shoulder and a great deal of pain until 2016 when I had the total reverse shoulder replacement.  I feel your pain, truly I do, and I am praying for you.

• Posted

mine was done nov 15th 2017 and i am healing good i last seen the doctor in June he said everything looks great come back in a year now dose it hurt yes sometimes depends on what i am doing i watch what i do and if i get to hurting i stop and i had a complete reverse shoulder replacement left shoulder and i am left handed
    • Posted

Well went to surgeon a week or so ago now for my problem on my left shoulder had xrays done and he said he couldent be more pleased with the looks of it but my main problem is that i littler have no muscle tone to help matters so he has me going to PT so they can get me started on building the right muscles to benifet
  • Posted

I know this is two  years old, but I want to reply.. 

I am 60.  About five years ago, I had a regular shoulder replacement on the left.  It was due to bone on bone issues relating to arthritis.  I had this done through the VA.  This doctor ended up doing two surgeries on that shoulder with issues.  It never quit hurting.

So I started researching docs and found Dr Todd Twiss in Joplin Mo.  He told me that my shoulder was a failed surgery and I took a month considering a reverse shoulder revision.  I had been having so many problems.

I decided to do it.  This is a small area but this is a GREAT doctor.  You should give him a call.  He did a fantastic procedure on me.  It feels sturdy.  I am still in PT, and it is getting stronger each time.  It still has some pain but it only been about eight weeks since surgery.  But my point is, I can tell it is getting better.  

If you are still having major issues, you should cal this doctor.  You won't be sorry.  Before coming to the Joplin office, he was some sort of prodigy in shoulders.  I'm not completely sure but I think he invented something while in medical school.    

Anyway I hope you are feeling better.

Jenn

• Posted

Update on reverse shoulder after 6 months. Super report. i have full range and got okay to do knee planks. hardest surgery i ever had. i recovered from both knee replacements and spinal fusion in half the time, but 4 months in pt 3 days a week worked. sorry some are having a hard time, but wanted to let those considering this surgery it worked for me and could work for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.