Total left reverse shoulder replacement - please help!!

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi there, I'm very new to this so please bare with me. My name is laura, I have just turned 32 yearsOld and just had operation number 17 on my left shoulder, the latest in the long line was a total reverse replacement on 25/05/13, I know some of you will be thinking its too soon to tell if it has worked or not but here are my concerns - ever since the surgery I have been in an awful lot of pain, to the point that walking is painful as my operated shoulder feels very loose and that its moving about, also my shoulder looks like it has dropped more every day, I am wearing the sling as I have been advised but its still feels very painful and loose. I have been put on very strong pain killers (dihydrocodine, oxynorm(immediate release), OxyContin(Slow release), paracetamol and ibuprofen, and after taking them I'm still in pain, and its obviously stopping me from sleeping,

My surgeon has told me that there is only about 5 people of my age that he knows of that has this op as they don't like doing it on "young people".

Has anyone had this operation, and is how and what I am feeling normal?

I look forward to any advice or comments,

Thank you in advance.

Laura

P.s I know this is going to sound a little strange, before leaving the hospital, I took a picture of the X-ray of my shoulder post op so I could show my son. I have been told (as previously said) that I had a Total reverse replacement, after looking for forums about shoulders I come across photos, and my replacement does not look like the photos I have seen online. If anyone knows anything about this and would be willing to take a look that would be amazing - just want to check I'm not going mad

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had my right shoulder reverse total replacement November 15, 2016.  I realize it is still early days.  I have been back at work on light duty and doing physical therapy 3x/week since the first week of January.  I am having pain issues that just are not completely resolving.  Until this week I was still taking a 7.5 mg hydrocodone 1x/day in the evening and was able to get some relief from that (along with a heating pad applied most of the evening).  Today my doctor said no more pain medication because I am "too far out" from surgery and could only suggest using ibiprophen or tylenol for pain relief.  I am really frightened about destroying my stomach lining.  I am looking for any reasonable suggestions for what I can do to help myself.  I felt like a drug addict when my doctor's assistant told me what he said.  Thanks in advance!  Barbara

• Posted

I just wanted to know how you are doing now. I had the same reverse shoulder surgery and my shoulder is falling down and looking deformed.. I had my surgery January 23 2017. I have been in pain too and wondering if it gets better in months ahead. Please text me back
    • Posted

Hi Mary, I'm sorry to heat that your not having a good time with your replacement. Unfortunately I'm still having major issues with mine, I have actually had the TRSR revised since posting this and it's come loose again. If you are having these problems have you spoken to your surgeon about it? Do you mind me asking where you are in the world? Laura cx

• Posted

I go to the Dr. On March 14, so I will be asking a lot of questions. I am from Fargo, N.D. And had my surgery here. That surgery was the worst one I ever had. I have had 2hip replacements , 2 back surgeries and put riods and pins in my back and 2 shoulder surgeries now.How did the last surgery go? What did he say about your falling shoulder? I don't know but I was wondering if you heard about the lawsuit about the reverse shoulder surgery? It was up to December 16 2016.They said that things were not right and had to remove them..A lot had sued that company. You should look up and check on the lawsuits. The reverse total replacement lawsuit going on or did. It was a certain time when they had done them. Keep in touch. Mary

• Posted

2468Mary... I'm originally from Bismarck (and lived in Fargo).  You should contact Dr. John Itamura at Kerlan Jobe (Los Angeles)...he's the best in USA.  Mine was a miracle...but he sees other crazy complicated ones.

• Posted

im 37 have had 11 shoulder surgerys just had a total reverse shoulder replacment, im still in pain 8 mths after. just wondering how you are doing now and did your shoulder get better . long shoot that you will see this but im so upset thank you
    • Posted

thank you so much for the reply and the suggestions, my chiropractor has used the biofreeze and i belive my doctor tried something similar to the diclofenac with no luck. i feel my shoulder works better but i still have to much pain. i have tried everything and the only thing that helps was the oxycondone which i dont really want to go back on. my incision is still open as well it just wont close. which is painful too. 
  • Posted

I had two failed shoulder replacements (done in 1992 and 1994) I could move my shoulder up only passively (not active) and still I would shrug very badly.  My humeral head ended up being above my clavical.  I was 18 and 20 when I had these surgeries...I had the total reverse shoulder replacement done in July 2016 in Los Angeles, CA.

They took the top of my humerus and cut it off, removed the long stem inside my bone by splitting the humerus (without breaking it). Then they inserted a new stem, added the ball to my scapula and finished.  The entire surgery was approximately 5 hours.  Attaching before and after pictures.

The first 6 weeks after I was in a sling.  I didn't even begin physical therapy until 9 weeks after the surgery and most was passive motion.  At about the 4-5 month mark I started doing some strength exercises...VERY SMALL...i.e. 1 pounds.  Months 7-8 I was able to do 90 degree lifts of up to 4-5 pounds and shoulder punches (laying on my back to 5 pounds).  It was an incredibly slow process.  Around Month 7 I started to develop Ulna nerve pain.  I tried various medications, none worked until I tried diclofenac sodium topical gel in the local spot and then used Biofreeze on my entire arm.  I got some relief over a few hours, but it took the diclofenac about two weeks to get rid of most of the pain on at least an 8-10 hour basis.  You HAVE to use BOTH diclofenac and biofreeze.  I am currently in Month 9 of recovery and have just started swimming.  After 8 times in the pool I can now do 5 laps (down and back)...and I can raise my arm up to about 130 degrees (forward and out to the side).  I have not been able to do this for nearly 25 years!

You may not get 100% of what a normal shoulder will give you, but in my case 90% is very realistic.  I am hoping I can throw a baseball in the next 2-3 months (even if just 20 feet).  But, be optimistic...and when they say it takes 12 months to recover...believe it!  It will go slow.  I have poor external rotation and poor internal rotation, but every week I can go just a little bit farther.

Ask Physical Therapists if they have rehabed this type of patient.  Although it is dreadfully slow I see light at the end of the tunnel.  I can swim, I can raise my hands in church, and I'm very slowly able to do things I haven't been able to do in a long time.

Just don't quit!  AND, be thankful everyday for what God has given you.  This is a tremendous surgery.

• Posted

i am 7 days out from complete reverse shoulder replacement i am doing great i had 3 failed rotator cuff repairs 1 with doner muscle sorry about the spelling i am left handed and using my right to type the thing i can tell anyone is do your home work i am 49 male and i can tell you when i woke up i could tell something was different it was a relief for me dose it hurt yes i am healing i go today to see how it is looking again do your home work i learned the hard way find a doctor you are conftable with it makes all the differance in the world i am glad i did this and know i will never be the same i had a joint replaced but my body is doing great the only thing that hurts me is the cold theripy i will ask the doctor today i am taking it 1 day at a time right now
  • Posted

I had a reverse 1.5 years ago and can lift my shoulder completely overhead play golf and reach items on the very top shelf. 

I had to really strengthen my deltoid muscle working my left shoulder 

• Posted

that is great and what i am shooting far i am starting to move it some pain but getting stronger as i go 
  • Posted

Hi Laura here it is in 2018 i had a total reverse replacement back in 2012. I am about to call my surgeon about mine it is making noise even my son can hear and it just font feel like it should. I am wondering how yours is doing i know I am responding to a old post i hope you receive it thank you
    • Posted

Hi Laura i had a L total shoulder replacement in Aug 2017 . I get no noises or anything from mine. Im fact its been really good. I can almost, at a stretch do my bra up behind my back. I would contact your consultants secretary & get an apt to see him. It doesnt sound right. Good luck.

• Posted

i had a total reverse shoulder replacement on my left shoulder and i'm left handed on nov 15th last year i am doing great some pain but not like it was i found a great doctor he makes the replacement parts i last saw him on june 15th and i am doing great in fact we have a bet going he says he wants it to go 15 years i say 20 years now with that said yes i still got some pain but i listen to it if i get to hurting to much i stop what i am doing i just made 50 and the right shoulder needs to be done to i will line that 1 up in nov my Dr is Feliex Savoie he works out of Tulane after 4 failed shoulder repairs it is great to finally get some relief

• Posted

I just dont know if i have something pinched but this came on all of a sudden BUT untill the last few days i have had great rom slight pain at times but what it is doing now is not right i went to Andrews sports clinic in Birmingham al and i will be calling today trust memy son says its sounds like a damp rusty hinge so i dont know in the prob is the Teflon liner or whatand ideas please any and all speak up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.