Total left reverse shoulder replacement - please help!!

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi there, I'm very new to this so please bare with me. My name is laura, I have just turned 32 yearsOld and just had operation number 17 on my left shoulder, the latest in the long line was a total reverse replacement on 25/05/13, I know some of you will be thinking its too soon to tell if it has worked or not but here are my concerns - ever since the surgery I have been in an awful lot of pain, to the point that walking is painful as my operated shoulder feels very loose and that its moving about, also my shoulder looks like it has dropped more every day, I am wearing the sling as I have been advised but its still feels very painful and loose. I have been put on very strong pain killers (dihydrocodine, oxynorm(immediate release), OxyContin(Slow release), paracetamol and ibuprofen, and after taking them I'm still in pain, and its obviously stopping me from sleeping,

My surgeon has told me that there is only about 5 people of my age that he knows of that has this op as they don't like doing it on "young people".

Has anyone had this operation, and is how and what I am feeling normal?

I look forward to any advice or comments,

Thank you in advance.

Laura

P.s I know this is going to sound a little strange, before leaving the hospital, I took a picture of the X-ray of my shoulder post op so I could show my son. I have been told (as previously said) that I had a Total reverse replacement, after looking for forums about shoulders I come across photos, and my replacement does not look like the photos I have seen online. If anyone knows anything about this and would be willing to take a look that would be amazing - just want to check I'm not going mad

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 32 years old. I just had my 13th surgery. The last one being a total reverse replacement about two weeks ago. The pain is very bad still, just curious when did you guys start feeling better. Where you can sleep through the night. The pain pills aren't really much relief.

• Posted

After 13 surgeries, pain relief may be elusive even with a reverse. You are very young to have had this done. It is a salvage procedure and outcomes for younger people are different.  I had a reverse after 6 suregeries and ended up with a intrathecal pain pump. So, finally the pain is under control, but more surgeries are on the horizon.  I sincerely hope it settles down for you - give it time.
    • Posted

Thank you, I know he said I was the youngest he had ever done this to. He said my only other option was to fuse it. Just scared the pain won't get much better, it really bad right now. I start physical therapy Thursday. I am glad to hear your pain is under control. Thank you for commenting back to me.

• Posted

I had the same discussion - fusion was an option.  Really there are no good options with us.  The next step- it is unthinkable as the complications are a huge problem.  But, what is done is done.  I don't know where you live, but the pain pump gave me my life back.  The shoulder is still a fragile mess, and I was assured of more surgery in the near future.  But thank God I had a wonderful pain management doctor who offered the pump.  It has made a world of difference.  Anyway, give it more time and hopefully the pain will lessen.  I am not sure how long it takes as I never got there, but it is different depending on the issues, how damaged the shoulder was, number of surgeries before the reverse, etc.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your advice. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I will give it time and do my therapy before I try anything else, but I will keep in mind asking my pain management doctor about the pain pump.
    • Posted

Hi Michael. I'm sorry to hear your in so much pain. I had my first replacement at 30 and I am now on number 3. I have had a total of 21 operations on my left shoulder since 2008 and to be honest I wish I had never had the first one because the pain is worse than it has ever been and I have virtually no movement in that shoulder anymore :-(. And sleep is still virtually non existent. I really hope that it settles down soon for you! Do you mind me asking where in the world you are? X

• Posted

Cincinnati Ohio is where I live. That is crazy I thought having 13 was bad. I truly feel for you that's terrible. I wish I never had my first one either. I played college football and semi pro football and kept having surgerys to go back and they left me a mess. I have had several since I stopped playing and each time the pain gets worse. Reading on here about the replacement has not been encouraging.

• Posted

I am in the U.K. Still struggling to find anyone near my age that has had a TRSR in the U.K. Most of what I have read about them isn't very positive, although there are a rare few. If you are on facebook there is a group that is for people that have had, or considering shoulder replacements and some very knowledgable people in the group, it's a great support to know there are other people out there that know what your going through and from all over the world. There are some success stories in there too :-) x

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Where in the UK are you? There are some surgeons now trialling something called a superior capsule reconstruction which is favoured over a reverse replacement in younger patients. It depends on the condition of your GH joint i.e. how much arthritis you have but I'd look into it if I were you.

• Posted

Sorry, I notice you have 3 replacements already. The superior capsule reconstruction is a treatment for a defective supraspinatus - i.e. a massive tear of that part of the rotator cuff.
    • Posted

I am in Cleveland. I had to go to Boston for the last 2 surgeries. Flying there today for a follow up.
  • Posted

Hi Im Crystal 42 from The US my Dr. is from Kiaser he says my left shoulder is bone on bone with arthis and my rotator cuff is torn. But he says he doesn't know what they can do for my I need a shoulder replacement but Im too young. any advice ?

• Posted

Hello I am only 32 I had a complete reverse replacement done a month ago. I had complete tear of my front rotator cuff and the humeral head was shot as well. I had 13 surgerys all together. It's a last resort kind of choice but you definitely are young but they do them is rare cases on younger people.

• Posted

People can have A reverse and be satisfied in the short term.  Surgeons are very aware that there are still many issues that need to be worked out.  They are not suited for heavy work or long term.  I was 57, and was guaranteed more surgery in the future.  With each surgery, more bone is lost, and soft tissue damaged.  If that is what you are willing to accept, that is a choice.
    • Posted

Rehab will take 12 months...but it is WELL worth it (on month 9).
    • Posted

I was 43 when I had mine done....Attached is my before and after.

REHAB IS SLOW and will take 12 months, but keep at it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.