Painful Colonoscopy

Posted , 44 users are following.

I am trying to collate information on this. I had one done yesterday and I have never known pain like it. I even shouted for them to stop but all they kept giving me is gas and air and telling me to breath deeply with it. It did not help. I know this is not always the case but after reading lots of messages from people where this has happened to I am trying to get as much information together - trying to see if there is a pattern i.e same doctors, same hospitals. If anyone is willing to put there experience on here for me to be able to put together some kind of proof that this does happen I will be very grateful. I feel so traumatised by this that I want to take this further but I cannot do this without any back up info. So please, I know this is not always the norm to feel as much pain as I did but I am going to try my best to get this recognised and hopefully even if I manage to stop 1 other person going through this I will be happy.

13 likes, 200 replies

200 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Would just like to add, that following my awful experiences with both the sigmoidoscopy and the colonoscopy, earlier in the week I had a CT colonoscopy... Compared to my earlier procedures, this is a complete walk in the park. Yes, there is discomfort (anything that involves inserting an alien object in your backside isn't ever going to be comfy!!), but there is almost zero pain. There is still air insertion, which is the uncomfortable part, and that takes up probably half the procedure (about 5 mins), but once that is done you basically lie back and think of England while they do their x-raying (short spell on your belly, and another on your back).... Overall, I'd whole-heartedly recommend this procedure and I struggle to see why people are put through the almost barbaric colonoscopy procedure when this option is available. I can only think they are it is a time saving exercise, because they obviously can't remove anything during the scan procedure, unlike the more brutal alternative?
    • Posted

Having had two endoscopies, the first an emergency one due to filling lavatory pan with blood. I never recalled any pain then, the second was a little more uncomfortable when the scope reaches that right angled turn in the intestine. I think I remember the surgeon putting his hand on my abdomen while the turn was made. both times I didn't have sedation,obviously they used a bit of air.  I would have had real worries having either a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy having read this, but I've always relaxed during the procedure, friends in the U.S.A. Always have sedation.
    • Posted

I know, people coming on here must be worried after reading all the negative comments but obviously most who have a painless procedure probably wouldn't bother to post on here however better go in properly informed.
    • Posted

The posts here are written to inform other 'victims/patients who face these procedures. yes, readers with no experience may well be worried. If my  contributions have added to their apprehension, I apologise. 

However, if most people go into the appointment well-informed through these comments, and question the level of pain to be expected, maybe doctors will wake up to the fact there is a problem. Is it too much to hope they start to ask themselves whether there isn't a case to answer for General Anaesthetic in this situation?  

Placatory, patronising and smug publicity through NHS leaflets ensure is not the case.

Stories on this site remind one of the early days of surgical practice, with patients strapped to a bench and operated upon before an audience, while wide awake. Where's the difference?

• Posted

Babs,Most people go in because of T.V. doctors telling us this procedure is vital and maybe "a little uncomfortable"  so most comments we hear are positive and not "negative".

It's only when we get there and are put into shock by the extremely bad pain that we come on to this site and try to be truthful about how barbaric this procedure is and how we have the righ to try to treat it as seriously as any other surgical operation.

Being "properly informed"is indeed being told that it is going to be very painful like any operation would be without anaesthetic - and I do not mean mild sedation.

• Posted

Jackie, I totally agree with you and only wish I had been more prepared for what could happen then maybe I wouldn't have thought something was drastically wrong with me. I thought they had come across an obstruction because so many peopl I know had told me they had experienced minor discomfort. 
  • Posted

That is very reassuring.  Following my previous attempt at a colonscopy (see earlier post) I am due to have this proceedure in a couple of weeks time.  Has made me feel less apprehensive now, although I am aware we all experience things differently.
    • Posted

Annie, only thing I'd add is that I had Buscopan to relax the bowel and I see you are unable to have that? Not sure if they'll offer you an alternative but whatever happens, be assured it's much less painful a procedure than what you has before.
    • Posted

Annie, Please let yourself go and take all the help you can get.

The staff and doctors are wonderful and will help you all the way but do sail away on the sedation. Lots of love

• Posted

I followed a previous posting on this site showing several posts about this procedure being "not so bad"

As a result I chose to have my colonoscopy without sedation as I have nobody near to take care of me.

The doctor was very against this and tried everything in her power to make me have sedation.I thought I was brave and insisted on saying no.

I had already had a CT scan and the polyp was very low in the colon but you still need this procedure to remove it.

It was ******* agony !!

I agree with everything said here.This procedure is totally barbaric and should be regarded an operation needing general anaesthetic.

I also will never go through this again, what a shame when well meaning people are advising this test without knowing how extremely painful it is.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that yours was also very painful. This has to stop, the reply I got from the hospital after they looked into it made me feel that I was just making a fuss and just get on with it. This has really annoyed me as I still feel like I had no control over what someone was doing to my body!!
  • Posted

Hi Vonney63

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and I can honestly say it was by far the worst experience of my entire life. The pain was to put it simply, excruciating! I had to ask the Dr to stop the procedure half way in (no pun) thankfully; he did stop, although I was immediately put under pressure to have it done again another day – NO CHANCE of that EVER happening.

I am sorry to hear of your experience and offer my support in any way I can.

The Whole procedure from start to finish is both Dickensian and grossly inhuman. It is also very bad clinical practice to make anyone undergo such uncontrolled pain. I will be making a formal complaint… that is, as soon as I can actually GET through to the relevant Patient Experience Team. Like many others, I am physically and mentally traumatised.   

• Posted

sorry to say but Join the club. Insist on a CT scan if you need a follow up
    • Posted

I don't blame you for not having it done again. I myself will never have it done again unless I was put out completely. What they have done is turned a positive thing into a very negative thing for me. I understand that it needs to be done, I understand that it can save your life. I do not understand why when you have asked someone to stop several times that they feel they have the right to just carry on and there is nothing you can do about it. This should never happen!!!
    • Posted

I am due to have a colonoscopy and am frightened now that it is going to be painful surely they must stop if you tell them thats got to be reported for patient care
    • Posted

Don't be frightened, just make it clear to them before you have it done that if in anyway you find it to painful and you want them to stop then they must stop! They have denied that I shouted out several times for them to stop. I think that you should be allowed someone in there with you or it comes down to their word against yours. I know I shouted stop several times to them!!!!
    • Posted

Same here! If there EVER is a next time... I’ll definitely go for sedation. Which I firmly believe, should always be a clinical recommendation for this vital procedure.

Health Complications aside, sedation  it is by far, the most distress lessening option.

It is probably a NHS Cost reduction policy to offer a colonoscopy procedure without sedation?

Personally, do not recommend that anyone takes the chance on being just comfortable with just gas and air. It spaces you out to a point where you lose your control on what’s actually being done to you.  I found the whole process disturbing – even though I am quite used to severe pain, owing to 17 years of ongoing Chronic back pain.

I also represent PALS in another NHS field so I know full-well How to listen to patients concerns. That’s why a forum like this is SO important. Patients really need to feel empowered.

As a patient you ALWAYS have the right to say NO - and that right should always be respected.

This forum is Brilliant - just wish I’d come here before I made crucial decisions about a clinical procedure I knew little about.  In conclusion I’d add that on NO account be TOO afraid to ask searching question about what’s going to done to YOUR body. Again, that’s your intrinsic right. Good Luck – and never be Afraid to Ask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.