I haven't left the house in a month, what should I do?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 16 and suffer from agoraphobia which has started to take over my life..I wake up and feel awful, I get nausious, sometimes vomit and feel like I'm choking, as well as shaking. 

My first panic attack was in a shopping centre which has stopped me from wanting to leave my house, it's the only place I feel safe sad 

I want to try and go out again and a month ago I did, I managed to walk around the block and was very proud of myself but now I've got back to square one. 

It's not that I don't want to go outside, it's that I'm scared that I'll have an attack. 

I just wish this demon inside me would go!

Does anyone have any tips about how they manage to go outside? 

The only place I can manage is my garden!

-Hopexo 

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Hope,

Bonnie has some good tips. I have been seeing a therapist and been working on my phobias and panic attacks. You have to train your brain that there is nothing to fear when you go out. By doing that is to try at your pace to go outside to a point where you start to feel uncomfortable and try to stay there for as long as you can. If you escape to soon, you are telling your brain to still be afraid. It can be really hard but push through it, the anxiety symptoms wont harm you . I know how uncomfortable it is. If you try it let me know how it goes.

• Posted

Hi guys i recommend you all try flaxseed oil you can buy it from a health food store.

Take 7-10grams a day and apparently within 2-4months it may get rid of agriphobia.

i have a depression book and it says it was scientifically proven. you may see improvements within the first week.

i have agriphobia wouldn't leave house in months

there were even days i couldn't walk from one room to another in my own home but i seen improvements after 1week i started leaving the house locally at least for now as i have many other issues to accomplish.

Best of luck guys 😊

• Posted

Hi jenny

Yes i definitely think it was as im not on any meds.

• Posted

Hey I got bad dizzines and breathing problems do you think that oil would help me? Because I can not go out at all ...
    • Posted

You can only try and hopefully it does let me know how you go.

Best of luck x

• Posted

You need face your fear. Fear is the main factor that it is prolonging your iliness- Fear of your disturbing syntoms, fear that you wil never recover and there is not hope for you. Dont do nothing, allow yourself to feel like this, not worry about it, dont put more pressure in your nerves inside your brain. they need a brake. as an example, if you brake your arm, you know you broke your arm, and you will give it time to heal, you are not going to start questioning every single syntom associated with your arm pain. The same it is with your Brain... something it is going on in your brain right now, I mean you cant control your body. Your nerves and mind are tired of you running around trying to find answers. You are just keeping your self ill by adding fear and worry. going back on the arm, if you brake your arm what will you do? it goes in a pot , you rest and it let it rest. why on earth will you dont do that will your nerves?   I am not an expert a physician, but I am a survivor of anxiety, I foght for my life day by da and I will like to help people that it is going through the same thing.. and I can tell you something  Alot of the recovery is to do with losing your fear of a syntom. Dont run away of how you feel. you can do it. 
    • Posted

Do nothing *, allow yourself to feel like this
    • Posted

Thank you, I've started to get myself dressed and ready each day which is a major step and I even managed to go out yesterday for about 5 minutes smile 
    • Posted

Are you taking meds? how long have you been feeling this way?
    • Posted

I've been feeling this way for a few months but it's gradually got worse, the doctor won't put me on meds because of my age so I'm being reffered to counselling 
    • Posted

get out, walk who cares what anyone thinks.. you do this for you!
    • Posted

how many months have you been feeling this way? and how did it started? let me tell you something I dont know if some meds work for some people but I recovered without them. does your family know how you feel? 
    • Posted

A few months but it's got worse, I think it's down to traumatic family problems and pressure of exams. Yeah they know but we're all in a tough situation right now, they're trying their best to support. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.