What are the side effects of Laparoscopy??

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi ladies,

I finally have some news I received today!!

I hope everyone is getting better each day!!

I do indeed need a hysterectomy but I did go today for the Brock blood test to see if I carry the gene for ovarian cancer. Because breast cancer runs in my family, ovarian cancer is most likely to occur as well. If I do carry my ovaries will be taken, if I don't they will be left behind.

I am upset a bit over this. What I did not like to hear is everything is removed through the vagina. I personally do not like the pulling and what damage it could or would do. Will I be able to control my urine when I need to go? Will the muscles not allow me to hold it?

Does anyone have permanent side effects from this procedure?

How long will I be out of work recovering?

Thank you smile

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Debbie. 

I think if they can do the procedure vaginally your recovery will be much better as the operation is not as invasive as abdominal. 

My hysterectomy was done through cut in the abdomen which makes my recovery really slow   

I am 16 days post op and the pain in my wound is extreme today. I am back on my painkillers. This may be due to doing too much. 

So others can advise you better if they have had it done this way but I would have grabbed at the chance to have had it done vaginally. 

Good luck

lee x

• Posted

Thank You Lee, an,d I wish you a speedy recovery. No doubt you are in some major pain and I feel for you.

Rest and don't overdo things.

My gynecologist will always do it vaginally unless she absolutely needs to do it abdominally.

Feel better,

Debbie

• Posted

Thanks Debbie

i suffered from adenomyosis and my uterus was too big although when I had my son he was 9lbs 3 so you think she would have got my uterus out ha ha. 

Anyway let us know when your op is

take care

lee x

• Posted

Wow Lee he was a big boy smile

I will let everyone know but it won't be for at least 6-8 weeks yet.

You take care as well.

• Posted

Hi Debbie

If they are offering it you go for it. It's much better. Iam over 4 months post op and it's very slow. Ho poppy you should take it slow else it will set you back. I did nothing for 8 weeks just sat down stuffing my face lol. I had bad endometriosis so they could not do it that why. Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Sam. 

I suffered from adenomyosis and they said uterus was too big. 

I am in agony today but I'm useless sitting in the house. I keep doing things I shouldn't and I'm suffering for it. 

After today though that is it. 

Im bedded with painkillers as tummy so sore. 

Thanks

lee x

• Posted

Arr poppy I thought I 2 old go the same I love to be on the go but no one would let me and people I had spoken too said do not over do it else you will go back. So please just rest it's a big op if not you will be back in hospital. My mind for a long time was ok but my body was not. Still after 4 months I can not stand for too long. You have a long way to go so hang in there. 8 did put on a stone just sitting and eating but now I've lost over a stone and eating better. You take care xx
    • Posted

Hi Sam,

Thank you! It seems to be the best way to go. I am glad I found this group. Everyone is so helpful and caring to one another.

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Your very welcome we all like to help each other on here with lots of advice and tips. So keep in touch and good look with everything you tc xx

• Posted

Hi I'm about 9 weeks post op vaginal hysterectomy, and prolapse repairs. I have had a few small setbacks and I'm not back at work yet as I still feel incredibly tired at times. It took a while to get my bowels working properly but had no problems with my bladder. I would definitely reccomend a vaginal procedure if possible. Hope all goes well.
    • Posted

Hi Fugazi,

I hope you get back on your feet soon. 9 weeks is a long time. Get plenty of rest.

May I ask how your bowels weren't working. Do you mean when you eat something it doesn't stay? That is a fear of mine with this procedure, my bladder and bowels not working like they used to.

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie

So sorry you have got to have a hysterectomy, but please don't worry about having everything removed through the vagina.  I had this operation on Good Friday and was home the next day.  My surgeon (who is now God to me!) removed my womb, resited my bowel and bladder much higher up (everything had gone left and down!) and then because he thought my womb was perfect and it would be a sin just to throw it away, stitched it back in much higher and tighter.  I have had no pain at all, and I am very mobile.  I am back to full dog walking duties, 4 walks a day, I would not attempt this will any other dog, but my Rosie is very gentle and just walks beside me at whatever speed I go at.  

I gradually increased my walking each day and now I am back to full speed.  I was cooking from the moment I got home.  Hubby just got out all the pans etc and carried things to the table for me.  I have so much energy it is just bubbling up!

I have an over active bladder, which was referred to as 'tissue paper' and a weakened bowel.  It was really laid out on the line to me that I could end up with a bag, because of the possible damage.  When I researched this hardly anybody ever has to have a bag, it is just they have to make you aware of the problems.  I was getting so bad that in the end I decided that maybe a bag would not be so bad.  Before the op I trained myself with self help through diet and gradually going longer and longer before going to the toilet.  My surgeon was very impressed.  

I thought after the op I might be able to eat the foods that I had to give up, but I have experimented and no I cannot eat them.  I did get up to 3 hours before the op, but now I am going every 2 hours.  So from today I have started my bladder diary again and am training myself to get to 3 hours, one minute per day extra.  Also you have to bear in mind that your bladder and bowel take a battering in the op, they are pushed all over the place so it will take a while for them to settle down.  My bowel is fantastic no problems going, no pain.  My surgeon is not seeing me for 3 months just to give everything time to settle down.  It is me just getting into training so I will have some evidence to show him when I go to the appointment.  It is fantastic to have everything in the right place and feel so amazing.  When I see my surgeon again I know I am going to want to hug and kiss him because he has given me quality of life back.  

Please don't worry about this procedure, of all the different hysterectomies, this one has the fastest recovery rate.  The only problem I can possibly find is that you feel so well, you have to remember that you cannot lift anything.  Also you must make sure you have your rests in between walking.  

Sorry to have rambled on Debbie but I just wanted to reassure you.  

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Hi Jacqui,

Oh my gosh NO please don't be sorry!!!

I appreciate your response very much.

I want to say I hope you are feeling ok.

I am 42 and she won't cut me to do it. As long as it isn't necessary. I guess I'm just nervous all around.

Do you think I need to ask about moving my bladder and bowel?

I work sitting down with some walking in my office, and my drive is 45 minutes. I figured I'd miss 2 weeks but maybe more I have no idea. It seems a lot of these girls stayed home for a bit. I suppose we are all different.

I enjoy walking and I will take my time with that as well.

You are so helpful. Thank you so much!!

Hugs

Debbie

• Posted

Oh and Jacqui.....I hope I feel as great as you do afterwards smile

I should probably sleep downstairs right. I may not be able to do stairs for awhile.

• Posted

Hi Debbie 

It is a lot to take in when you are considering major surgery.  The usual practice is if the bowel or bladder or both need adjusting, as long as you have a good surgeon they will sort it out for you, especially as they are already in there so to speak.  They never really know what they are going to come across, until they are in the thick of it, so it is all sorted at the time, saves more operations.  It is just that the bladder and the bowel do get knocked around a bit with all this going on.  Usually they right themselves very quickly especially if you eat lots and lots of veg.  I love my veg so I have piles of the stuff.  Hubby just watches on in amazment!  

I am just 65, and since the operation feel 30 years younger.  I have just walked up a very steep hill with Rosie, so pleased I did it to the top.  So have my feet up now, I always make sure I have a rest after each walk.  

Trouble is because the healing time is so different for each person you cannot really say how you will be, the thing is not to rush it, your body will let you know just what you can and cannot do.  As long as you listen to the signals you will be fine.  

They say you can drive when you feel you can make an emergency stop without jarring yourself.  It is quite a long drive you have to work so you might have to revise your 2 weeks off.  You will be amazed how quickly you bounce back.

If you have a vaginal hysterectomy you will be fine with the stairs, I did stairs as soon as I came home.  We are in a flat but in a retirement complex so I walk up and down the stairs here (I used to run, great exercise, but i won't be running up them yet for some time, I am being very careful not to do anything to mess up this repair because it is wonderful to have my quality of life back.  

I am a 'Zumba Queen' absolutely love it, but it will be a long time until I venture to have a go again  When I had a vaginal biopsy 2 years ago, they said I could exercise after 6 weeks, and I ended up ripping open the wound, so had to spend another 3 months letting to heal.  So I shall be extremely careful this time.  Just walking in the woods and enjoying the wildlife is enough for me at the moment especially knowing I cannot do any damage.  

I love this site, when I first came on everyone was extremely helpful with what to take to hospital, what was essential to get you through the 'gas' pain etc.  I was very grateful. Take care.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Jacqi, you sound fantastic!

You are right about taking it slow, because the last thing we want are setbacks. I do like veggies and fruit as well so I will be sure to stock up. It makes me happy to hear your Rosie is with you. I lost my Sierra last June. I sure miss her especially when things like this arise.

It is nice to hear you're in good shape and continuing it the best that you can.

• Posted

Hi Debbie

So sorry to hear about your Sierra.  It is heartbreaking when you lose your baby.  The home is so 'empty' without them.  What was she?  

Before we went to Spain we used to rescue the 'old boy' Newfoundlands, they were just like huge gentle bears.  Then we went completely the other way in Spain, we rescued a Shih Tzu I called Benji, he was going to be put down on the Monday as we got him on the Friday, very close shave!   We fell in love with the Shih Tzu breed.  We rescued Rosie from a puppy mill.  She was kept in a cage to breed, and when her last litter were not up to much they discarded her.  She could hardly walk, her ears were so infected she was in agony.  I had to have her, I could not walk away from her.  I gradually massaged her back legs and very gently introduced her to the outside world and got her ears right.  She is a different dog now, very happy and loves life.  It was very stressful for her when I was in hospital, which I feel very bad about, but she has bounced back.  

Just think after you have had 'the op' and you get through recovery,   you will feel wonderful and full of life because everything has been put right.  

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Oh my goodness what a very sweet story!! You saved her. Nothing is more sweeter!!!

It's so awful what they do to these dogs BUT I am happy to read you got her in time.

They really are our babies. My husband and I are thinking is the time for another, because it is quiet around here. We'd like the same breed. Once I am all better, of course.

Sierra was a Great Pyrenees very much part of the Newfie family. Her breed is called "The Gentle Giant" Large breed and yes it's true they are sweet and gentle.

• Posted

Hi Debbie 

Oh Debbie Great Pyrenees are gorgeous.  It would be fantastic for you both to have another baby.  It would help you through your op and your recovery to have such a beautiful, kind dog to stroke and cuddle.  

The best thing about Rosie, was watching my husband fall in love with her. He treats her like a daughter, it is so lovely to watch.   For me it was instant love, and our bond was immediate.

Hope you have had a lovely weekend.  

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Hi Jacqui,

I completely agree but having a puppy right now wouldn't be fair because she'll need training and it won't be in time, so we will get one afterwards. My husband was very attached to her as well. It broke both our hearts when she developed a cancerous tumor.

She was my first dog ever and the BEST without a doubt. The day a saw her face was the day she came home. I love the breed and will get another smile

My weekend could have been better.

Thank you for the chat and please rest.

Hugs

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie

He! he! yes I realise right now would not be a good time for a beautiful puppy but when you have had your op, gone through a marvellous recovery and got the 'all clear' what a fabulous present a puppy would make!  lol

So heartbreaking that she had cancer, what a terrible disease it is, it seems to take all our loved ones.  cry

I've just had a wonderful walk in the woods with Rosie.  I discovered a new path, and opps we got a bit lost, I was out for an hour an half!  Ian was pacing up and down when I got back, still we had a lovely time, have to make the most of the sunshine, and there are so many things I want to show Rosie.  She always looks at what I point out to her, and her eyes widen in wonderment so it gives me great pleasure.  Don't worry I have my feet up now, until it is time to make tea.  

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Hi Jacqui!!

It sounds like you and Rosie had a super day together!! It is so peaceful walking our dogs. I enjoyed it very much just as you do.

I agree that would be a wonderful present smile

You and Rosie make quite the team. I'm glad you got back to rest. Don't hurt yourself Jacqui.

Love

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie 

Don't worry I am very careful not to do anything I shouldn't but my energy levels are through the roof so walking is fantastic to burn all that energy off.  Everyone is worried here that I am going to start doing my Zumba and Jane Fonda any day now, but if only they knew, I am terrified of doing them.  I messed up big time a few years ago when I had a vaginal biopsy and they said exercise after 6 weeks.  So I did and ripped the wound open, oh I was in a state, so you can imagine what it would do to a hysterectomy, so that is why I am walking and resting, cannot come to any harm then.  

I look forward to you telling me all about your lovely 'present' at the end of your journey.

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

Jacqui,

I sure hope I have all the energy you do. I think a lot of us hope for that.

You learned to slow down this time, because you certainly know what the pain is like.

I absolutely will let you know when I get it smile

Hugs

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie

He! he! Hubby keeps saying to the neighbours, "if that energy boost comes  from having a hysterectomy they can book him in now to have one!"  Crazy man.  I think it is because I am so happy to be fixed, it makes you very happy to be alive and throw in some sunshine and you have one very happy energetic bunny!  

I hope your recovery journey after your op is as good as mine.  

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Haha he is so silly. No doubt he'd love the energy. At least you're energetic, because it could have absolutely went the other way.

I really hope it is as well.

Debbie smile

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Don't worry you will be fine.   Let me know when you get your results and your op date.  

Yes Hubby is very silly sometimes, even though it all we can still have our moments of silliness!  

Love

Jacqui lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.