Super path hip replacement63

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone

Been waiting 38 weeks now and in a lot of pain and have diffulty walking

i am due to have a right total hip replacement on June 10th

my surgeon has booked me in for the tissue sparing Super Path method of  hip replacement

Has anyone had a hip replaced using this method. 

I am a very active 63 year old lady with a busy lifestyle and work full time so I need to get back to normal asap

I understand recovery is much quicker with this method

i hope someone can help me

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi it's Mark please come back to the forum after your op as I am dying to know how it all went.

all the best

• Posted

Hi Pansycat,

I had left thr superpath by mr cronin at rugby in march, he prefers geneal anastheti to be used , my scar is 3.5 inches n very neat he uses vycral dissolveable stitches. Hip is CoC , and great , i have had most problem from knee on op side, muscles not adjusting to new posture well, but getting there. Hip was strong early hip class at three weeks, bathed at three weeks. Gud luck tho i doudt you need it you in good hands.

Atb jason

• Posted

Hi Jason

Thanks for getting in touch

So pleased you are progressing well

I am so looking forward to getting this done and getting my life back

This new approach really sounds amazing- I specifically asked if I could have a consultation with Mr Cronin because I had heard about the Super Path procedure he uses

Your words have really encouraged me. The pain really gets you down so it's great to hear of the positive result you have had

My good wishes for your continued recovery

Kind regards Linda

• Posted

Hi All,

Just a note about anaesthetic. I had an epidural and nerve block and was given a sedating drug which meant that although I could hear what was going on, I just didn't care!

Annie x

• Posted

Hi Linda

Just a quick update on 2 week physio appt yesterday, as promised.  Now officially on one crutch.  I'm sure you've got the hip-op A5 booklet which includes exercises ?  Well, I did all except the last one, where you move your operated leg out to the side, before the op, because I was aware my tendons/calves were getting tight and it really helped, so if you haven't been doing them, do give it a try now, so that it is more automatic when you've had your op.  I didn't do the last one because it hurt too much pre-op.  And guess what, that is the one I need to concentrate on now!  I've now been given the go ahead to do most of the others (where the physio has to tick the box first to say it's ok) - I'm sure I shall be joining the Royal Ballet soon!  I was a bit stiff yesterday, after he "made" me do the exercise I didn't want to, but it has already eased today.  So be a good girl and start now!

Hope you are still feeling positive!

with best wishes

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

Glad you got on alright at physio and good news that you are on one crutch.

What is the process regarding physio once you leave hospital? Have you had to go to Rugby hosp and how often do you have to go?

I just cannot wait to get my op done - it seems so long since I have been able to walk normally and just so tired all the time. Everything is an effort and I have to have a lie down every afternoon  just so that I can last the evening. Just not me at all!

I'll bet you are excited about your progress

I am sure it must be like having a new life. Do those exercises and I am sure you will be back in 'heels' in no time at all!

i've got a wardrobe full of lovely shoes I just cannot wear. My son gets married in October and I am desperate to get a really nice outfit to wear

Keep in touch - it is so reassuring to hear of your progress

Kind regards Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda

I got a phonecall from the Physio dept around day 6 (20th May) and I was given a couple of choices for the following week.  After my appt I was asked to make an appt with the same physio for two weeks' time.  Don't know how it progresses after that, though.  This morning, I was able to do the exercise that was defeating me on Thursday, with no pain, so that's been a good start to the day! 

The "everything is an effort" line rings a bell.  I was still trying to work right up to the monday of my op week, because I'm self-employed, so didn't really get to have an afternoon rest.  I was just fit for nothing by 6pm and having to go to bed around 7.30pm because I couldn't sit/stand, find any position that was comfortable.  But sleeping was also a nightmare - two hours at a time, if I was lucky and endlessly trying to find a comfortable position once I woke up.  It isn't fun, is it ?

Now, just remember, you are sent home when you can walk a few steps with crutches and home is a whole different ballgame.  I am still lying down for a rest, thinking "I'm not really tired, I'll get up in a minute" and then crashing out for two to three hours at a time!  And I'm get a five hour stretch of unbroken sleep at night - bliss.

I'm afraid I'm not really a heels girl, as I'm quite tall already and never got the hang of walking in them - don't think my poor old hip would have lasted as long as it had if I wore heels!  Still, keep it as a motivator for you!  You'll be in that super wedding outfit, no problem!  It's months away.

Have a good weekend - I'm off to the seaside for a quick jaunt (not on the sand, I shouldn't think) so expect to be wiped out on Monday.

with best wishes

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi,

I'm enroute to a THR under the care of Michael Cronin using superpath.

its probably around 4 months away, and I'm starting get worried about the recovery period. 

I have a consultation with him on Thursday as well as an intraarticular injection to help with pain and double check that all pain problems are coming from hip.

any advice on specific questions I should ask at the consultation?

any update from those of you who have had this op with Mr Cronin.  He is pretty hung ho about the whole things, but I've read some worrying stories about recovery (too much googling!!)

thanks for your time to reply.

lindsey

• Posted

Hi LDW

I had Superpath RTHR on 10th June with Michael Cronin.

​I am 63 and have always been extremely active until arthritis hit me. I was in dreadful pain day and night and could not walk without a stick and even then my gait was dreadful.

​My operation has changed my life. Michael Cronin is amazing, such a kind and professional man, an expert in his field. I waited 40 weeks for my op so that i could have him to do it. I had absolute and utter faith in him from the moment I met him. I cannot praise him enough

​I can walk properly again, am back at work full time and have been for 2 months.I have no joint pain and feel a different person. Yes you get some pain post op for a couple of weeks, but when you think of the magnitude of the operation, you have to expect it.

Every day post op shows improvement.

Mr Cronin will go through everything in detail with you at your consultation - he is very thorough and will answer any questions and make you feel at ease.

​He is the only surgeon in the UK and I believe in Europe that does Superpath - you are very lucky to have him.

I couldn't wait to go into hospital and get my op done - I was not disappointed in any way.

Be positive and enjoy the experience - you will feel re born!

KInd regards Linda

• Posted

Oh pansycat, Thankyou so much for your reply.

the trouble with reading on these forums is that one can scare oneself to death!

when he operated on you did he manage to do so without cutting any muscle?

where did you have the op done? Rugby, Coventry or the Nuffield?

how useful/important was the physio before and after?

do you know of anyone else who has gone through the experience with Mr Cronin?

thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

lindsey

• Posted

Hi Lindsey

Muscles are not cut, just parted with Superpath and very small incision

​I had my op at Coventry as i have a benign heart irregularity

Several people have had this very successful op - they may reply to you

Physio started at 6 weeks and still ongoing

​You think you are doing well, but physio point out ways of strengthening core and other muscles which have been misused over the years.

I think I am fine but physio say I am only 70% of full potential

It can take a year to get everything in order

Best of luck, chill and don't worry about a thing

You are in the best of hands

​Regards Linda

• Posted

Sorry, just noticed you included your name on the previous message.

thanks for that Linda.

(apologies also for lack of capital letters at beginning of sentences. I am writing on my iPad, which doesn't punctuate automatically). 

Thanks again.

lindsey

• Posted

Hi again,

I am due to have my op on 4th February.

have got my head around the implications of a THR on right hand side, but am now noticing that left hip is playing up.

mr Cronin said often this settles down after surgery on the very bad side. Did you have any experience of this?

and how is your recovery now?

lindsey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.