Median Lobe Prostate Bladder Blockage Options?!?

Posted , 25 users are following.

So I have a median lobe that acts as a ball valve at the neck of my bladder.

I had no idea for many years what was going on. I even went to the emergency room a couple times.

I was holding 1000 CC's quite often.

One doc wanted to do the church right away. Another doctor taught me how to self catheterize. Another doctor wanted to prescribed Flomax. Doc in Germany wanted to do an ejaculate preserving "EP" TURP.

The median lobe seems to disqualify me for the Urolift. But a doc in Orange County, CA says the Urolift may indeed help me.

I'm young to be going through this. And my wife wants more kids. So I want to have antegrade ("forward shooting!") ejaculation.

Can anyone – as they say at the 12-step programs – share any experience, strength and hope with this situation?

Median lobe blocking urine flow. I need surgery but I want regular ejaculation.

3 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Chip,

I've got the same problem as you, the median third lobe. I had Prostate Arterial Embolization (PAE) in Nov 2013. at that time they didnt realise I had the median lobe issue. PAE doesnt work anything like so well with a median lobe although it did reduce the prostate size down from 53g to 38g which is actually pretty good if you've got just the normal two lobes. I'm pretty much back to where I was before I had the PAE. I'm due to see the Urologist quite soon to discuss other options which may include Urolift, he's not ruled it out at this stage although he is also talking about a "limited Turp" of just the median lobe as an alternative. Like you I'm avoiding Turp - seems to me the large majority of sexually active men who have had it done seriously regret it afterwards. Fortunately I found what it was like in advance as I took Tamsulosin (Flomax) for a while and that caused retrograde ejaculation until I stopped taking it. I've certainly had some Urologists in the past "playing down"  the seriousness of that particular side effect. They should take Tamsulosin for a while to see what's it feels like! I had one idiot Urologist tell me to "just switch the lights off" I never went to him again after that. I've just had another cystoscopy done to determine the exact size of the median lobe, it's that result I will be discussing with my Urologist shortly. So will see what the recommendation is then...

• Posted

Hi Tim:

Sounds like we have a similar situation.  The Flomax has worked for me BUT I have recently had to increase the dosage.  .4 in the morning and .4 at night.  

Side effects?  DIZZINESS!!!!  And of course retrograde ejaculate.  But I can time the Flomax and the sex so I can get antegrade ejaculate.  

Basically sex at night or 9 to 12 hours after taking the Flomax.  After giving the wife the best 3 seconds of her life I then take a Flomax and make a ham sandwich - haha.  

But I am liking the idea of self-cath until I decide what to do.  

But Urolift and Mini Turp are seeming like okay options.  First Urolift.  

PS - I have also noticed what I drink really effects urine flow.  I am a coffee and Diet Coke addict.  The caffeine helps my depression.  But if I drink water all day I can pee easier.  The caffeine really seems to inhibit urine flow.

• Posted

Hi Chip,  I am resending this post without the link to a video of the Urolift procedure since this site has blocked it.

I also have a medium lobe pressing on my bladder.  My brother’s urologist Dr. Claus Roehrborn in Dallas Texas pioneered the FDA study in the US for this procedure.  He is also the head professor and chairman of the Department of Urology at the University of Texas (South Western).  I have a Urolift scheduled with him in November.  He can do a Urolift  and fix the middle lobe to one of the lateral lobes if the middle lobes does not protrude into the lumen of the the bladder too much.  Or if it does, he can resect (remove) the middle lobe preserving the bladder neck and then do the Urolift, thus preserving  ejaculation.  No sure where you live. 

There is also a Urologist Dr. Peter Chin near Sydney Australia started doing the Urolift procedure in 2005. He is probably the most experienced in the world.  He has successfully done the Urolift to fix the middle lobe to the lateral lobe.  You can google him and go to his website and see a video of the procedure.

Ufrolift will only work on prostates of 80gm or smaller.  To avoid retrograde ejaculation you need to make sure that your urologist can preserve the bladder neck when doing the Urolift.

Hope this is helpful,   Terry

• Posted

Hi Terry:

Thank you!!! 

I was about to fly to Germany to have an EP TURP with Dr. Alloussi.  

Maybe I will fly to Texas or Australia instead.

Many thanks,

Chip

• Posted

Hi Terry,

This is a really interesting development with Urolift, seems the median lobe can be fixed with the procedure after all. I'll discuss this with my UK Urolift Urologist when I see him soon.

• Posted

I'm planning to have the PAE: prostate arterial embolization.  I think it's our best bet.  No sexual side effects.  The 2 docs who've done the most i the US are Dr. Sandeep Bagla in Alexandria, VA and Dr. Ari Isaacson in Chapel Hill, NC.  The 2 pioneers who have done several hundred are Dr. Pisco in Lisbon, Portugal and Dr. Cardinale in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  Good luck!   
  • Posted

My dear, I am not sure, but one option could be PTE--Prostrate Arterial Emboliztion.

You have to take Trans Rectal USG, and take the report to both, to an Urologist, and an Intervention Radiologist, who has done PTE.

Then you can discuss, and decide.

Never think of TURP, or LASER, if you want to enjoy SEX and have more KIDS. Both of the PROCESSES can go WRONG--has gone wrong for many patitents.

And--- Good LUCK.

• Posted

Chip I was wondering what tests help you define which part of the prostate is effecting you..like what type of test do doctors do....?
    • Posted

I have had the camera in the penis.  I have had the camera in the rectum.  And I have had a biopsy of the prostrate tissue.  

The best indicator seems to be the camera in the penis.  Everything is right there on the TV screen. 

• Posted

Amazing that many "hot-shot" docs in Los Angeles have NEVER heard of UROLIFT! I have been giivng them brochures.   Fascinating to me that new, upcoming and possibly improved urological info is not shared with other urologists in a uniform way.  
  • Posted

Hi Chip,

Hope you are well. Do you have anymore info or heard about anyone having the EP Turp from Germany? I am considering it. I'm in the US. My prostate is 120 and have large median lobe.

Thank you.

• Posted

With my first Urolift procedure, the Urologist did not address the median lobe so I went to a different Urologist who did another Urolift, but only to put a clip to fix the median lobe problem. He atucally took a picture of inside my urethra and it showed that it was clear. I would recommend finding a Urologist who can perform the Urolift just to fix your median lobe.

Albin

• Posted

Albin,

How are you doing now?  Has the Urolift 'clip' solved your problems?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.