to divulge our ages.. My consultant said don't wait till

your 80s, I will be almost 79 when I have mine done,

so just in time.

5 likes, 95 replies

95 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi cathie,

I'm 50 and gave both hips done this year, the first one in feb and the 2nd just over 3 weeks ago. Things are going well and I'm looking forward to getting my life back.

Ali xx

• Posted

I had my RTHR done in April and a RTKR in July and am at last feeling back to normal and it's transformed my life. I'm 56.
  • Posted

Hi Cathie,

I'm 57. My mother had a hip replacement, but she was in her 70s at the time, so I was taken aback when I had the diagnosis and referral for surgery. Diagnosis was a year ago, but the deterioration has been rapid. Like others, looking forward to getting my life back after surgery.

• Posted

Hi All, I'm 50 and live near Stratford-upon-Avon, UK. I've not had my hyip done yet, but it's being monitored and will need it in the next few years. I'm not in any pain but I've got restricted hip movement due to oesteophytes (spelling!!!!) growing on the cup of my hip joint, that is, too much bone growth. My Grandad had it, my Uncle had it, but my own father has just walked with a bad limp due to it, so it's highly likely I will just walk with a limp until it becomes painful!!! Not  a nice thought.... Apparently due to positioning, the Dr's can't just go in and shave the extra bone off. I have had the limp for 5 years now. Anyone else in the same position?

Good luck to all you hippies... Great to have this forum and read about others in similar positions.

• Posted

I am 58 on the outside and 25 on the inside, come from a family who have all suffered oa, live in nw london, having op on November 13th, bricking it, but want my life back and to walk like a human being and not a wonky donkey.Thanks to the informatin and support of all you hippies I know this can be acheived. Thank you all have a safe and happy weekend. Sue xx

• Posted

I don't know how to add to my original note about age.

my mother's family had hip problems, but only one was offered

the chance to have an operation, the rest 'waddled about like ducks'.

before the Charnley hip of course. John Moores (later Sir) used to

be carried into the Everton football club's director's box in a wheelchair before he had both hips done! How did people put up with the pain?

17 days to go.

had his ops, so my husband recalls.

• Posted

I am 53 due to be seen again in nov for an injection to diagnose the hip. See after that if want or need surgery assp. But surgeon anxious due to my back. Would prefer to have less hip pain and cope with back. We shall see. In east lancs by the way
  • Posted

Hi All. I'm 53 and had a bilateral hip replacement in May 15, all went well, had a knee replacement on 21st August, on the mend now.

• Posted

Hi Kaye,

Im pretty sure I'm going to need at least one of my knees done. I've heard knees are more difficult to recover from. Which, in your opinion, has been the easiest recovery. Obviously I realise you had both hips done at once so maybe difficult to compare. I've wondered about knees.

Any advice please?

Many thanks.

Ali xx

• Posted

Hi Ali, your right knees are a much harder recovery I had no pain or problem with my hips, my knee was very swollen and the incision was very sore, getting better now as 4 weeks on. My advice is take it easy don't rush yourself, do your exercises, if your knee is swollen put ice on it and elevate On a pillow. Just listen to your body , if your tired sleep.

kaye. Xx

• Posted

Hi Kaye

I agree with Ali in that the knee isn't as easy as the hip. My hip was a doddle. I'm now 7 weeks post op TRKR and it is only now feeling ok. There is a lot more swelling with the knee which makes it painful to bend. I thought my knee would never feel normal again but it does more so now. Just keep icing it and elevating the leg and doing the exercises and you will get there. Thing is, six/seven weeks is a long time when you're going through it. I'm pain free now so well worth the suffering in my opinion.

• Posted

Hi Elainey I'm 4 weeks post op the swelling is now less it was also swollen at the back of my knee as well, but God knows what they did to me I the op as my shin, calf and foot were black and blue, had none of this with my hips. Walking with one crutch indoors but Two outside, I'm just impatient thought I would be walking and tuning about by now, but soon will be I hope. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Kaye

I'm 3 weeks ahead of you but I only had bruising at the back and sides of knee. Poor you - wonder what they did? My whole leg is still swollen especially at the ankle and calf but the knee is beginning to look more like a knee now albeit a bit swollen. It does click a lot when I walk which makes me cringe a bit but nobody else can hear it. Physio says this is normal and will pass. This last week I do feel as if I've come out the other side and am not aware of my knee/leg as I was before. It consumed my life as I was aware of it every minute of the day! It's nice to know that I've been 'repaired' and should be able to lead a normal life once again. I so took walking for granted until I could no longer do it easily. I'm looking forward to being able to walk any distance with no pain and stiffness as I expect you are too.

• Posted

How funny mine clicks as well, makes me cringe as well, can't wait to walk normally haven't been able to do that for a long time. I only have swelling at the side of my knee now my calf and ankle almost back to normal.

• Posted

Thanks very much for your help with this. I was aware that knees were more difficult and incsnnonly hope that mine won't need doing but knowing my luck, they will.

You both seem to be coming through this so fingers crossed your good recovery continues.

Thanks again,

Ali xx

• Posted

I've had both hip and knee. The hip is posterior incision but I'm recovering much more quickly than with the knee. The initial pain in the first few days after surgery was about the same I think, but I wasn't given enough pain relief so the hip was way way way more painful than the knee in those first 3 days.

But really it's like a labour and giving birth to a new joint and a renewed life. You don't have to have it but on balance a few weeks of pain is a small trade off for a life that is richer and more rewarding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.