we've said where we are from, would it be helpful 

to divulge our ages.. My consultant said don't wait till

your 80s, I will be almost 79 when I have mine done,

so just in time.

5 likes, 95 replies

95 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I shall be 74 if they get me a date before my birthday in 2016!  I had my preop assessment on 18th August but have been told by waiting list that it won't be before November at the earliest.  So much for being an NHS employee since 1963 until 2008!
    • Posted

2nd attempt to send.. 74 isn't old. Try 2nd opinion.

If you re in pain,bone on bone or restricted

movement you should move up the waiting list.

I hesitated to join this site because I thought I

was too old..we need more confidence as we age.

• Posted

I'm 53, but I have lived with debilitating pain for 2 years, should have had it done when I was 51, but I thought the problem was with my back.
    • Posted

I was being treated for stenosis in my back originally,

I had spinal injections  but they didn't help. I was given many pain killers

and anti inflammatories and one day I fainted. I had damaged my liver

with the pain killers. So I had the pain, but I daren't take pills.

then I couldn't put weight on my leg after physio. Eventually,

I saw an orthopedic consultant and found out I was bone on bone.

my left hip op was April 2014, my right 5th Oct. we all seem

to have been on a journey, don't we?

• Posted

I have been treated for my back since 2007, herniated discs, degenerative discs, finally saw a different back Dr., he sent me to the hip Dr., bone to bone surgery was in May.
    • Posted

Hi local how is your back now I had mostly really bad back pain but knew all along my hip was bad too put off having hip down had op in May hip a lot better but unfortunately not much relief from back pain . Seeing physio for that now she has given me exercises to strengthen my core pelvic tilts mostly. I have never had it x rayed or scanned she there's probably degenerative changes but doesn't had slipped disc symptoms. Wondering how you got diagnosis on your back and if anything helped with it in particular
    • Posted

Hi, I had an MRI of the spine in 2007, had epidural shots, PT, and nothing really worked. I try not to twist, bend or lift much. I had another MRI in 2015, the back Dr. said my back is bad but doesn't see anything to fuse yet. I have problems with L1 L2 L3 and L4. I probably will be going back to the Neuro, I think it is a pinched nerve from the herniations causing most of my pain. I take Motrin and Tramadol as needed.
  • Posted

I'm 55 from swindon . Had back problems for about 18 months then chiropractor suggested xray as my hip was very stiff . Xray revealed bone on bone ! Now realised family history . TRH 18 th August . Just had my first walk outside no stick hooray

Denise

• Posted

Congrats on walking holding nothing. We have really come a long way.

My low back still aches and hurts, but nothing like the pain I had in my groin. So glad my hip problem was taken care of.

• Posted

Okay I was 75 when I had mine done in June of this year.
    • Posted

tell us how you re progressing. The ups and downs

of recovery..

• Posted

I am 52, first in June, second to be done after Christmas. My consultant said he sees more people in their 50's now than ever before and this post certainly reflects this.

I live in Cornwall and have been fit all my life playing netball to County standard until I was 40. I wonder now if I just wore my hips out!!

• Posted

Hi All,

71 now (tho 17yo  inside!),,,second hip in Feb '15

first hip at 58yo, was a resurfacing cos they wanted to give me a young patient option they said.

both excellent!

Mic

x

• Posted

Nice to meet you, Cathie!

I am 48 years old. I had to fight to get my LTHR  (July 31, 2015) because of my age. I was suffering for over two years with the dibilitating pain of bone-on-bone osteoarthritis.

• Posted

hi Karen,

crazy isn't it? This age thing..too young, too old..

but bone on bone, at the moment, means an operation.

hips cost well over 25 years. Maybe we should start a new thread

HOW OLD IS

Eventually it will be stem cell therapy.

• Posted

meant to say they last for over 25years.

meant to say How old is your hip? Should be  

thread. Sorry for errors.

• Posted

I agree! I think if your quality of life is greatly diminished due to pain and immobility, and the patient.is WILLING to go through major surgery, then they should allow it. I suffered needlessly for well over 2 years.

I believe stem cell will be the way of bone and cartilage regeneration. They are already doing some of it, but it's terribly expensive and insurance wont cover it because it's still in the experimental stages. I don't know if our gereration will be able to take advantage, because we'll all be made of titanium parts! :-)

• Posted

Sings - "We are titanium" - I like the thought of all us 'reasonably older people' with bionic skeletons.

I have a weird sense of humour and over a few glasses of wine with some friends I have decided that when I am cremated I want me bionic bit sculpted into something.

• Posted

Haha! "We are titanium" That's great. I have a weird sense of humor too and I think that's an awesome idea! The titanium sculpture would be a great conversation piece. You're hilarious! smile
    • Posted

One titanium resurfaced hip and one ceramic n metal THR. ...!

Mic

X

• Posted

I too have weird sense of humor and so so appreciate it in other people. Have thought about my cremation and what they will do with a knee and  a hip when they are left over.love the "bionic skeletons"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.