to divulge our ages.. My consultant said don't wait till

your 80s, I will be almost 79 when I have mine done,

so just in time.

5 likes, 95 replies

95 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Hippies!

I'll be 65 next month.  I could've waited to have this done because I wasn't in pain most of the time.  Only when I tried to do certain things - putting on socks, etc.  My range of motion was badly diminished and I walked with a limp.  I decided that if I waited I wouldn't be any younger so I'd get it over with.  I've questioned that decision a few times over the last few weeks!  My problem was osteonecrosis, most likely brought on by chemotherapy.  Has anyone else been diagnosed with this?

• Posted

I've a friend who got necrosis and recovered well from

the operation. Is it when the blood supply to the bone is affected?

my friend had not had cancer.

Perhaps your question has got hidden in the AGE thread, would you consider starting a new thread on

necrosis? Good luck.

• Posted

I suspected it was from chemo and, after doing some research on the subject, found that chemo can cause osteonecrosis.  And I still miss my eyebrows.  They didn't come back after chemo!  Oh, well, at least I'm still here, more or less!
    • Posted

Hi Linda

Might be cheeky to mention, but have you considered tattooing your eyebrows. My wife has had it done, but not due loss through chemo.

• Posted

Not cheeky at all, supercargo!  Others have suggested it to me as well but I'm a little nervous about tattooing.  I know lots of people who've done it so it's still a possiblity...
  • Posted

I am 65 years old. I had my  hip replacement  in June 2015.  I don't need another one at the moment and  I am recovering well.
  • Posted

Hi Cathie

Slightly worrying as I am 80 next birthday and still trying to decide what to do.

Not in extreme pain just walking like an old crone,not a pretty sight and very inconvenient.

Surprised to know how many young people are having hip surgery,braver than me for sure!

Am reading every post on this great forum,trying to find encouragement.

The best advice comes from those going through the same concerns.

Joy

• Posted

What did your consultant say. I think he made the age comment because

of the condition of my hip, bone on bone, and the state of

my back. Plus I hope to get back to playing golf! We are 

all different. Your hip might not be as bad as mine.

• Posted

I think that was just the consultant advice to me because of the state

of my hip and my lack of flexibility, also pain tolerance! Not

a general rule

• Posted

I was 47 for my first which is still going strong and I've just had my other hip done at 62.
    • Posted

Hey Annedi

Like you a long gap between 1st n 2nd ops...let's hope both last for ever+++

Cheers

Mic

• Posted

The surgeon said the latest would 'see me out' - didn't ask how long he thought I would live!!
  • Posted

47 when i had mine done, in staffs, they sent me to a private hospital as they had no room at nhs,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.