nervous

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi all ,having bilateral on 29th sept starting to get very nervous about everything but sure the end game is the important thing,being self employed is also a big issue no money for a few months is preying on my mind but will just have to get on with things ,anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Richard welcome to the forum. Yes it is un nerving but you will be fine.

take plenty of things to do while your in there it can get pretty boring. If there is anything wrong do not hesitate to speak to the nurses they are there to keep you as comfortable as possible. 

Don't rush things everyone heals at different rates it isn't a race it can take up to a year to feel 100% again. 

Good of luck for the 29 th 👍

• Posted

Just "relax" and go with the flow, there are plenty of people on here who have had both done at once.

depends what your self employment is as to when you start again. My advice would to be sure, build up gradually and not to stop start, confusing for customers

• Posted

Hi Richard.

I am also self employed. Had an appointment for op in January, but delayed due work commitments, and hip not feeling too bad. I had a further appointment 15th September - but now have DVT in the other leg, so op delayed.

My advise, go for it, and good luck.

• Posted

Welcome to the world of "hippies " 

It is scary but is over so quickly and then recovery starts . Keep on top of the painkillers because they will help you through the first grotty days and ask if they are not strong enough 

good luck 🍷

• Posted

Hi Richard I had a bilateral hip replacement in May and can honestly say it was fine I was lucky I had hardly any pain had some swelling . Just do your excercises every day and you will see and feel a difference very quickly. Rest in the afternoons with your legs ellevated. 

Enjoy your new hips.

kaye x

• Posted

Hi Richard

Good luck with the op next week.  What is it that you do?  I am also self-employed and although mine was a single rather than double, I managed to make a bit of space in the work stream (this was over the summer, people away etc etc so wasn't so terrible) and was back going a few hours of emails etc a day after 3-4 weeks - it's just a case of how you get on with pain management, the effect of medication and so on.  Even then, I was pretty whacked and needed a good kip in the  afternoon every day, with leg(s) up to help reduce swelling.  It's the sleeping that I found the real challenge in terms of recovery - I wasn't very good at sleeping on my back, but got used to it once propped up on a large number of pillows.

All the best!

Neil

• Posted

This is as honest as I can be - the first two weeks were rubbish. Couldn't sleep properly, stiff, shuffled around the house and when I wasn't shuffling I was sleeping. I couldn't settle anywhere for long. I had pain and most of it was mid thigh and knees and ankles.

After that it all got better. I was determined, kept to a strict timetable with pain relief and exercised from the third week. I pushed my walking a little bit more each day and started swimming at 5 weeks.

At 6 weeks I started to do some light work days (I now work from home as i had to give up my more physical job with small kids) but couldn't lift anything heavy and still enjoyed a nap in the afternoon.

I had my op June 30th and am just starting to feel more normal. I still waddle when I am tired and take a while in the morning to get going. I am having the next hip after Christmas and can't wait. I had a new hip for a reason - life was crap and now it's not.

My advice? Be determined, be realistic and listen to your body. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I am getting my right hip replaced on November 4. I am really, really nervous. I have had pain with my right side for a long time but I have no idea what the level of this pain is going to be after operation. How long did you stay at hospital after your surgery. I currently work full time and I really can't stay out of work indefinitely. my doctor said about 6 to 8 weeks. YIKES I guess I am just a nervous wreak.

• Posted

Hello Clissy

I had awful pain in my right leg /hip and walking etc was so painful but I had my right hip replaced 3 weeks ago and that pain has gone . Such a relief and I am already wLking much better than I was before the op .

The first few days after are a blur but then it becomes easier and off you go .

Keep calm and positive x

• Posted

Thank you...that is good. I am not sure I will know what it feels like not to have the right hip pain
    • Posted

Hey Clissy, before the new hip I had a pain going through it like a sword, I hobbled around and gobbled pain killers like they were going out of fashion. To be honest I didn't get nervous because I would have been releived if they had chopped my leg off. Saying that it's not as bad as you think it's going to be BUT it is a massive op. It is painful but with good pain relief I found only the first two weeks were difficult.

I was in hospital for 3 days. Once you can walk with crutches and tackle stairs they kicked me out.

Work - depends on what you do. I worked with kids, up and down off the floor and had been off work for 9 months before my op. I retired as there is no way I could go back and risk dislocation. I started a small business from home and can cope with sitting at my desk all day now (10 weeks). At first sitting feels as if you are sitting on rocks (I had a posterior scar down the side of my leg) but like everything it gets easier.

I would advise you to try and take as much time as you can, you will be sore and tired for quite a while but this is a life changing op. My new hip is fab (she's called Beyonce) and I am having Shakira done after Christmas. As I said to a friend recently it's as hard to describe the level of pain after a THR as it is to describe childbirth. The good thing is that there is co-codamol and I still take four a day now. Hope this helps and chill out

• Posted

Thanks for thanking the time Kate. I am really trying to chill. I got really nervous when you mention childbirth pain....also what is co-codamol?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.