Can anyone help? Hyperthyroidism

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this but I really need some answers. I've had so many tests, most come back with hyper thyroid, I've lost so much weight. From 10 to a 6 in a few weeks really. I get so sick in the stomach but don't always throw up. I get sweats, trouble sleeping, always feel fatigue though, head aches and missed periods. My stomach feels awful most of the time, I can't drink, makes me feel ill. I suffer from aniexty and depression.. I've always been thin, I'm so picky with food now too as it seems everything upsets my stomach. It feels like these hormones are poising my body.. How did you guys know you had hyper? What were you first signs.. I think I have had this for a long time but always put it down to something else. Waiting for some more test results next week but I'm so stressed about this I need answers.. If anyone can help pls reply below. I would appreciate any advice. smile

Xx

Dreamer girl X

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Unexplained weight loss, fast heart rate, anxiety, easily get hot or feel the heat at inappropriate temperature. Eventually, you noticed that your hands tremble. You also mimic somebody with an ADD/ADHD. You also struggling to fall asleep. However, not everyone has an exact sign/symptom. 

The blood work can show it all. It's hard to fake it. Lol.

• Posted

Hi I'm desperately wanting some advise, my gf has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism her levels are

T3 are 27.8

T4 are 50.9

I have booked a holiday abroad, is she ok to fly? Has anyone flown with these results

Thankyou

Very much appreciated

• Posted

Hello I've been diagnosed about 5 months ago with subclinical hyperthyroidism...i have all the kind of symptoms my primary Dr put me on Beta blockers and Xanax..and then send me to see an endo

My Endo put me on Methimazole but u had such a bad reaction to it..so she stop it and said all she want to do is watch it for now but i can't live like this..so what should i do? Should i seek a 2nd opinion? PLEASE HELP!

• Posted

Hey Jason,

My thyroid has started correcting itself with just better blockers and Valium to calm me when I have my bad days! Everyone is different. I would say get a second opinion but if a medication is making you worse or sick I would highly recommend not taking it. However thyroid issues makes you feel like death mostly all the time. I've spoken to that many people and this is an illness that is never treated or found at the right time. I hope you feel better soon. Someone above should know a little more then me. I've given up on trying to fix mine as I don't want surgery and the meds make me super sick. I'm just living my life as best I can.

Any other questions feel free to ask but this page has so many answers also. smile

Take is easy.

• Posted

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

You know that feeling that you're not your self anymore! And my concern that it can harm other part in tje body.

What kind of beta blocker did you take? I'm on propranolol 10mg a day.

How's your thyroid now? Do you feel better?

• Posted

What dose of Methimazole were you on?  Generally more side effects onm higher doses.  There was a research article I read about the benefit of hyperthyroid patients taking 3,000 mg a day of Regular L-Carnitine.  As well, hyperthyroid patients are deficient in vitamin D and Magnesium.  Ask your doc if you can get these levels tested (Carnitine, vitamin D and magnesium) and start supplementing with these ingredients.  You might also want to add a low dose of Methimazole like 2.5 mg a day which shouldn't produce side effects.  There are also naturopathic methods that treat hyperthyroidism.

• Posted

Hi Linda..

My Vitamin D was almost 0 so my doctor gave me 50,000 IU every week for 3 month now it's in the normal range but I'm taking 2000 IU daily.

Does Lcarinitine works for Subclinical hyperthyroidism?

I was on 10mg a day but it made me so sick.

• Posted

Try taking 2.5 mg a day (half of a 5 mg pill) and the L-Carnitine.  Carnitine is an amino acid that is naturally present in the body but gets lost from muscles in hyperthyroid patients through urination.  Also patients who have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (an autoimmune disease) regulate their thyroid better when they use L-Carnitine alone.  If they take Methimazole, they bounce from hyper to hypo.  Ask your doc to check your antibodies for Hashimoto's but even if you don't have an autoimmune disease, if you are hyperthyroid, this will help - 3,000 mg of L-Carnitine, at least 1,000 IU of vitamin D and 200 mg of Magnesium daily.  I also take Omega 3 to lower inflammation.

• Posted

Hey Linda.

I ordered Acetyl-L-Carnitine 1000 mg

As someone said it helped her better than L-Carnitine.

I wad wondering if your symptoms went away once your TSH got higher?

And also is it something you have to take for the rest of life?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

• Posted

Hi Jason

I don't know where you are at with your levels.  My FT3 and FT4 were at the upper normal level once I was on 10 mg of Methimazole but my TSH remained at less than 0.001.  When I started the regular L-Carnitine, I felt better but I wanted that TSH to rise so initially I added the Acetyl and my TSH immediately rose into the normal range.  I felt better initially but when it rose higher than 0.70, especially up to 2.7, I got palpitations and my  Free T3 and T4 fell right to the bottom of the range.  It took a lot of adjustments of my meds and the supplements to keep everything in range.  Because of the palpitations and the fact I was well into range, I had to stop the Acetyl.  I cannot caution you enough.  Unlike Regular L-Carnitine which helps your symptoms and your values a little bit and is more stable than Acetyl, your values will cascade into hypothyroidism very quickly if you just take it and don't get more frequent blood work and make many many adjustments.  So in answer to your question, I discontinued the Acetyl when my TSH was 2.7 and my doc lowered my Methimazole dose to 2.5 mg every other day.  On the off days when I take no Methimazole, I take 500 mg of REGULAR L-Carnitine and so far my labs are ideal in range, my TSH is 1.1 and my Free's are in the middle of the range.  For Acetyl 500 mg or 225 mg capsules are better so you can adjust doses easier.

• Posted

P.S. Jason, if you have subclinical hyperthyroidism, Regular L-Carnitine is better.  The only value of Acetyl L Carnitine is that it raises TSH very quickly but if you are subclinical and take it, you will go hypo so fast.  You don't want dramatic changes like that.  Yes, once all my labs were normal where I wanted them, I did feel better except I still have a problem with dry eyes and use eye drops every day.  Also get your vit D and Magnesium levels checked and if deficient add these supplements as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.