Weird Shingles symptoms

Posted , 22 users are following.

I was dx with Shingles last week. Rash on my left buttocks. But prior to that I had severe joint pain on my hands, knees and elbows. They put me on prednisone thinking maybe it was RA. Then after the prednisone I developed the rash. They put me on valtrex, neurontin, and norco. The weird thing is i have tingling in my left ankle on my achilles tendon region, my left ringer finger and pinky. Is it possible this is from the shingles and is the nerve irritation? I have googled until I am blue in the face and all it says is you get tingling where the rash is and that's all. Also, since being on the valtrex my joint pain has gotten better and so has my rash. I've been on valtrex for 4 days 3 gms a day. Also I am exhausted and all over body aches. Any insite to this would be greatly helpful. I am an ER nurse so I understand the disease but not these weird symptoms and my PCP doesn't seem to think it's related, but I can't help but think it is. Sorry for the lengthy post. And thank you in advance for help :-)

4 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm sorry you have this problem too. However, it is comforting to know you understand.

• Posted

I have what I believe to be shingles. It's a rash that looks like tiny blisters but are bumps. It tingles, itches and burns. It is around my eye and eyelid, my forehead and scalp. I'm being treated as if they were shingles but I am not seeing any improvement at all. It's still getting worse. If not shingles what could it be?

• Posted

Ask your dermatologist to take a biopsy to identify exactly what the rash is. There are literally hundreds of skin rashes that fit your description .

hope it can be treated soon.

• Posted

When I had my first sign of shingles my dr immediately took a skin test , once shingles was identified I was given a shingles immunization. This has prevented any further issues with shingles. Please check with your dr as it is first identified the immunization can still be given which will make the next breakout less frequent or severe or prevent it it the future.
  • Posted

Hello christine23937

Currently I am battling Shingles for the second time and the tingling sensations that you are experiencing are your nerve endings going haywire. My doctor prescribed Gabapentin 300mg for the tingling and Acyclovir 800mg for the Shingles. There is a shot for Shingles but you have to be six months clear of having them. I was one week able to take the shot and I broke out with my second occurance so no I have to wait another six months in order to receive it. Hope this helps you...

• Posted

Thank you for the shingles shot waiting time. I’ve been with the symptoms 3 months. I still suffer some pain and numbness on my heel. As soon as I can I’ll get the shot. I hope this would avoid a recurrence. 
  • Posted

Hey everyone,

27yr old diagnosed with shingles 3 weeks ago around the right side of my abdomen. Took famvir. Rash almost gone and no pain around the rash, however have pain, aching, and some tingling in my back and legs. It’s a tough thing to work with, am assuming it’s nerve pain resulting from the virus. 

Stay strong everyone!

• Posted

Hey did u ever get to the bottom of your shingles issues. Were they related. I e had similar symptoms. But more lower back pain pre blisters and to this dayyr half after shingles occadionaly had numbnness in fingers too. I had my right above my but before my back starts. I still suffer with debillitating pain frum it but all over my stomach. Its numb and achy non stop. Did u suffer frum anything lingering.? Ive had it once before on my neck 10 years ago and can still feel residual pain tho it lessened. Tho i can still feeel it. It is a very mysterious virus. Its consumed me. It feels like a belt is wtapped tight around me at all times. What was your pain like. Everyone i know thats had this has never had the linguring pain that long. Any feedback would be of great help. I have not taken anything frum doctors tho i took the naturapath route and pop vitamins b lysine all the stuff im supposed to. Nothing seems to touch it. Have done laser at chiropractor for three months nothing. Mri no bad results saying anything wrong. Thanks for your time and hope to god u havent suffered   
  • Posted

Hi All,

About four days ago, I suddenly started having very dull aching or "pain" through my fingers, hands, and up through my arms. I say pain but its really more of an ache and not specific to any one spot. It moves around and isn't necessarily constant. As of today it seems the feeling is more tingly, not quite pins and needles though and it's not sensitive to touch necessarily. I'm also now feeling this some in my feet so the emphasis is primarily in the extremities. 

I have of course googled and researched until I've convinved myself I have a number of different issues. One that Could be plausible is Rheumatoid Arthritis. However, this came on very suddenly and I have no swelling or inflammation that's visible, and it's not specific to my joints, and the pain overall is a 2-3 on a 10 scale. I have no mobility issues either - I've been proceeding as normal. 

the reason I'm posting here is I did have Shingles approximately 6-8  weeks ago. I'm 29 years old and live a pretty healthy and active lifestyle, and overall my case was quite mild. I had the rash for about 5-7 days thinking it was poison ivy, then the nerve sensations began and I sought medical advice and was diagnosed. The nerve sensations lasted probably another week and the rash another 2-3 weeks before it completely cleared. After reading some of the accounts on here I wonder if my sudden symptoms could be related to my Shingles case. Potentially a precursor to another outbreak or some lingering nerve issues that came back up. 

I did see a doctor yesterday at urgent care who didn't think it could be shingles because it's both sides but seems like other people have had different experiences. I will be doing blood work to check for autoimmune and other issues this week. Just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience that could point to shingles.

Thanks in advance! Liz 

• Posted

It could be neuropathy. The only reason I say that is of how it came on suddenly. I have it and it started out of the blue. No warning signs. Just woke up with tingling, shooting pain in both feet, but mine started before my shingle out break. My shingles are reoccurring in my right thigh. It messes with lower back, shooting pain down my leg. You can have neuropathy in hands and feet. If everything comes back on blood test normal, I would ask to pursue that. Hope that helps. JMAC2

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.