surgery on Wednesday

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone my surgery is on Wednesday the 4th and am terrified please help x

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ellie, I had my decompression surgery a 4 weeks ago now at Salford Royal. The surgery it's self you'll be fine you'll feel so groggy when you come round. That's totally normal it's from ur anaesthetic. The first 24 hours I wasn't allowed to go to the bathroom because of all the wires n monitors that were on me so just beware u might have to use a commode or bed pan. You'll be that drugged up n tired u won't care! Don't take pj's in that u pull over ur head get button up ones. I was in for 3 days I was climbing the walls to go home. Everyones recovery is different listen to everything ur told, don't be afraid to ask any questions. Good luck with it you'll be fine x
    • Posted

Hi Clareabella, sorry to jump in , I am going as on the 16th of May, now you are on the weeks , how do you feel, are you still on medication, much better before the operation/ how is youe headache..are glad you have done the surgery?
    • Posted

Hi the surgery part was fine, u get really good care n drugs in resuscitation, n for your duration in hospital. I'm still on medication morphine n oroamorph every 3 hours. I'm going to be honest with u I'm struggling with the amount of pain I'm in since the op. But I've got to allow my body time for the swelling n nerves endings to heal. Everyone has diffrent healing processes. I might have to have a second op where he cuts into the dura this time. But I've got another two months before I'm back in clinic to see him so hopefully they'll be massive improvement by then. Definitely go for the surgery surgery isn't a cure for chiari malformation but it can slow it down.
    • Posted

Your right clare everyone has healed different on here, it was months before I felt slightly human, even now I'm still on med for dizziness and nausea but I've come a long way in 18 months, hope you don't have to have more surgery hun x
    • Posted

Yes, ofcourse, you understand don't you when they cut your skull..every one is different..even ahelem still ave diiness, but that pain headache must be relieve now?, do you glad you undergone the surgery..wellI hope you need not go to second one though
    • Posted

I'm glad I had the surgery it's only 4 weeks in I'm the sort of nothing ventured nothing gained type of person. Just having some really down days due to the lengths n levels of pain. I still have all the same symptoms I had before the operation. All I can do is give it time and see if there's any relief 😧 if not I'm back with my consultant in July I'll see what he can recommend. Hope it's not the second surgery it sounds worse than the first 😣
    • Posted

It's a slow recovery it took me months before I felt any better. You have to rest a lot however frustrating it is and boring. You have to get used to a different pressure round the head. I still have some symptoms and dizziness. But not like it was. Hope you don't need more surgery. X
    • Posted

Hi helen11122, I get the diffrent pressures around the head area 90 % of the time the pressures becomes unbearable. I'm tired all the time. I can't remember the last time I had a full nights sleep pain free. Is the dura surgery better than the decompression surgery sorry I'm not good with names of things 😣
    • Posted

I only had the decompression so couldn't advise on other surgery. I know one week I had to lie flat for 5 day's incase I had a leak. Yes took a while for my body to get strength back and slept a lot too. It's still early days for you, so hoping it gets better. X
  • Posted

Hi. I had my surgery last year. Don't be scared hunni, hopefully it's the beginning of the rest of your life. I will say it isn't a quick fix, it takes time to heal, we are having major surgery after all. I hope all goes well, keep in touch

Xx

• Posted

Hi Rachael thanks for your comments having mine done at rvi Newcastle. I have really long hair and not sure what to do with it lol carnt have it in a. bun cause it hurts lol any ideas x
    • Posted

Who is doing your surgery ellie, I had Mr majors he was nice, originally it was Mr Ross but he went on long term sick. There is a chiari nurse called Lois and I still can ring her even though I'm discharged she's wonderful you will probably get visit off her during your stay. My her was short, but I'm sure they will advise you on what's best, my wound was so neat and you could hardly see it few wks later they parted my hair only took a bit off where needed, so your long hair may be better in 2 loose plattes iether side after surgery. Good luck hun x
    • Posted

Hi Helen Mr Mitchell is doing mine was thinking about putting my hair in 2 plaits just wish it was over in so nervous x
    • Posted

I know, I was petrified, but went for my surgery 1st so wasn't waiting about. They were lovely and once had the injection I didn't know a thing till woke up later that night lol. I had reaction to morphine it makes me really sick. I have some lovely photos if my head as you wouldn't think had out done. This time tomorrow you should done and over with. Xxxx
    • Posted

Was supposed to have it done 2 weeks ago went in 7 in the morning and got sent home at 12 because there was no beds then got a appointment for lad Tuesday but that got cancelled due to the doctors strike . That's what my husband keeps saying this time tomorrow it will all be over just the recovery to deal with then xx
    • Posted

Hi ellie hope it's over with, and not sent home! Been thinking about you today and hope it went ok x
    • Posted

Hi ellie just wondering how your doing and if you had your surgery. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.