Knee replacement and depression

Posted , 18 users are following.

I've had both knees done 4 weeks ago and was not prepared for the pain and hopelessness but worst of all is the depression is this normal 

1 like, 238 replies

238 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

Checking in to see if you are doing better....I have had a few good days but I can't believe how wiped out I am if I do anything.....had a tough pt yesterday did some grocery shopping and went to lunch witha colleague who is leaving my office....omg you would have thought I ran a marathon...so frustrating....but I am taking it easy today....

• Posted

Glad to hear you had some good days definitely getting better still up and down went for a reki session yesterday which helped me hopefully we are all turning A corner
    • Posted

HI Ann,

Please excuse my ignorance , but what is a relief session?

• Posted

Sorry Ann I meant reki
    • Posted

It's a Japanese technique for stress reduction relaxation and healing going for reflexology this week that's in the feat trying anything lol definitely feeling better how r u 
    • Posted

thats on the feet not in the feat
    • Posted

Thanks Ann

I am grand, doing fine. Like everyone else, have bad days and good days. Definitely getting stronger. Bend varies a bit, but I'm staying calm for now.

Back to see my surgeon tomorrow, first time since op 6 weeks ago. So it'll be interesting to hear what he thinks.

I'll let you know.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

This may seem like a repeat of what has been asked, and all may have answered this more than once... What has worked best for you when you have lost your motivation?  I am tired today, more so than usual and just feel blah = yes depressed.  No motivation at all to do my excercises, tired of hurting anytime I do much of anything "notmal".

• Posted

Read all the post on here that what gets me through..

• Posted

Yes I agree the post do help also sometimes I put some music on  
    • Posted

Ho,

I say to myself 'I will do a reallyreally light session just to keep up the habit..Then when I lie on bed and get started I usually end up doing a good session. However, some days I only do (can manage) 2 sessions.

After physio I sometimes just take a rest.

Sometimes I do only half a session.

As others have said, the posts here help. But I listen to Andre Bocelli most sessions.

Just take it at your own pace and remember there are people a lot worse off health wise than us.

You can do it, you know you can!!

Best wishes,

Alan

• Posted

Hey everyone. Hope you don't mind me joining the conversation but I am so glad I found this site.

I am 4 weeks post TKR and thought I was going mad. I have been crying on and off since my op with a mixture of frustration and pain. I am allergic to almost all pain killers so I am trying to do this on paracetamol alone. My physio is harsh and has me screaming most weeks trying to get me to 90 degree bend. I just can't do it. Feel like my leg is going to explode. Thought I had a high pain threshold before this having had two c sections but this just doesn't compare. I switch between I am a failure to I wish I hadn't had it done. It is just so hard. I only have to be on it about 15 minutes before it swells up like a balloon and I haven't slept a full night since the op. Just not sure whether to rest or push. I've been told that if you don't get it working in the first few weeks it will never be fully functional. I'm only 47 and I have another 20 years in work yet on my feet all day. Can't afford for it to not heal properly. So pleased to hear others with concerns and it's not just me. Anyone know if there is any truth in the fact that you need to get it functioning properly in the first few weeks and whether it is detrimental if you don't. Any advice appreciated. Xxx

• Posted

Hivtracey yoyr symptoms are like a carbon copy of mine I aldo ended up on just paracetamol and ibroprofen im 14 weeks left tkr just hangbon in there it gets better week by week I aldo dreaded the Physio i was terrified by. A nurse I might have to have manipulation if I didn't get the bend I nie know this was rubbish I just did half the excersises as pain was awful trying to do that bend thing mine has just gradually got better just do what yoyr able to and dont get scared you'll be fine
    • Posted

Hi you are not alone, I am 48 and have years to go with a job. I am a little over 3 weeks po

And I have been there it is hard it is painful it is depressing it is lonely, you found the right place this forum has been a life saver 24 hours a day someone is here to help. You will receive so many words of encouragement here. The biggest is rest, medicine, ice and elevate. Take one day at a time, we are here for you. Movement is good but listen to your body if it hurts stop. If the pt is pushing you to much say something they are there to help not hurt.

Take care

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

You are not on your own, this is hard, but you will get through it.

You need to get it functioning, but 'functioning properly' will take longer, I at 6.5 weeks and today have swelling due to standing and a light exercise session. I now have it elevated and iced.

You will work again, so don't panic, I had been stressing about work too abs sure I will again, but we'll get there.

There are some others on this forum that are limited re painkillers, I'm sure they'll comment with advice.

The best advice I can give is Only do what you're capable of don't let PT push you too hard, you know you're body.

Rest more than you ever rested, someone said earlier 'If you don't need to stand, then sit, If you don't need to sit, then lie down'.

You will get there, I promise.

Best wishes,

Alan

• Posted

Thanks Al

Appreciate the advice . Tougher than I ever thought it would be.

X

• Posted

Tracey,

I forgot to say Ice, Ice Ice. And also more Ice. It will really help you.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Today has not been great. Feel like I'm doing everything I've been told. Rest, lie down when you can and ice but my leg looks like a tree trunk this evening afte having done absolutely nothing today. Can't bend it at all. It is like a poker with shooting pains both up and down my leg. So hard😔. Oh well, try again tomorrow. Off to bed just so I have an excuse to take my paracetamol. Tried a cocodamol yesterday. It wasn't pretty!!! Lol. Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Tracey,

A good rest might help

Have a good night.

Hope you get a good sleep and all will be better tomorrow.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

I hope you have had a decent bit of rest by the time you read this. There will be a good moment, and then a longer good moment or two. Don't despair if they are too few and far between at times. I've felt the same way more than once. The sincere caring and good wishes of all who post here are 'virtual hugs' from around the world, and are very good medicine for the soul. All the best to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.