Knee replacement and depression

Posted , 18 users are following.

I've had both knees done 4 weeks ago and was not prepared for the pain and hopelessness but worst of all is the depression is this normal 

1 like, 238 replies

238 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is a God send for me... to read the experiences of all in the recovery process from tkr. I had no idea this was here; all of the deeply felt comments, wisdom, and tips are amazing to find. I admire each and everyone of you and the help provided to all.
    • Posted

Hi Annekhc!

Yes, this site was a great find for me, too! I have learned so much from those who have gone through the surgery, and I try to add my take on things to help those who have recently had surgery.

My surgeries were last June and last October.

The really nice thing is that there seems to always be a bunch of people at the same stage that can truly connect with you because they are going through the same things at the same time!

Visit often!

There are people from all over the world here!🌍🌎🌏😄🙋😁

• Posted

Ann I feel your pain.....finally slept thru the night last night....can't believe the pain and frustration I am feeling 4 weeks post-op. I was planning on going back to work next week but that's not going to happen. I feel like I am such a burden to my family...I am a very strong controlling person....not in the crazy way!! but I feel so helpless and frustrated.....you must be feeling twice the frustration...I had only 1 knee done and I am sick of my complaining...feel better
    • Posted

Kmelish i know u don't feel at the moment but it will get better it's just so frustrating my emotions are like a roller coaster managed round block twice felt great then my daughters took me for lunch and I had melt down just got to keep reminding myself it will pass
    • Posted

We'll get there folks. I too am expected back to work next week, but not sure I will be up to it. I am up the walls worrying about not going back, should I chance it? Maybe I'll manage etc. When deep down I know I shouldn't I'm just not ready.

It is this site, the understanding people talking from experience and from the heart that helps me keep things in perspective and reassures me that WE WILL get there. We will.

Thanks,

Alan

• Posted

It's far better not to rush back to work too soon as you could so easily prolong your recovery and even have a setback which you don't want

I had 12 weeks off altogether as on my feet all day been back 4 weeks now but it is a struggle

• Posted

Hi Al, You will only be about 6 weeks next week. Be carefu, do not rush back to work unless you are in a job you can sit pretty much most of the day and be able to ice and elevate during the day. I am 10 weeks and my consultant told me minimum 12 weeks before I can think of going back, I am a teaching assistant and start at 7.30 and on my feet till 4pm daily with just 1/2 hour break. Luckily I will go back mid june and only have a few weeks and then be off for school hols for 6 weeks, but just be careful, school did expect me back at 6 weeks and when i took another sick line in were a bit suprised. But remember Al you have had major surgery, leg brutally cut apart in two places and then rejoined, if you can take the time because speaking from experience after my arothscopy once you are back you are back and work do not think twice about you and your leg, how you feel mentally (we have to leave all our worries, aches and pains etc at the door and not talk about them) I certainly cannot see them letting me say ahh need an ice pack or have to elevate my leg or sorry cannot do playground duty, it was bad enough when I said i would not be doing hockey club anymore. Take care Al , sue
    • Posted

Thanks Sue,

I know you are right. 100% right.

Many years ago working for a diffetent company I had a car accident rushing to get to work early, no offers to help pay cost, just 'how soon was I back' to continue a project I was managing.

I am back to the surgeon next Tuesday, let's see how it plays out.

Than You,

Alan

• Posted

You are spot on Sue! At 9 weeks I am not so sure I will be able to handle the return to work in 3 more weeks. I have a 30 minute commute both ways, and am nonstop at wotk for 8-10 hours 5 days a week, with an hour that I may or may not get as a break in the day... I am up and down, sitting, standing, walking, pushing, moving up to 70 pounds occasionally. I can be on my feet nonstop for hours at a time. There is no set pattern to what a day will bring.  
    • Posted

Hi Anne and AL, before I had my arothscopy last year I would have been first in every day to get set up before breakfast club and busted my guts to make sure I had everything done before I went home. Before arothscopy, what we do without you (cos noone else a mug!!) you know where everything is for all teachersetc...but did anyone come near me or text me while i was off...no so i realised after 18 years i am a noone to them. I ended up being off 8 weeks as arothscopy made a mess of my knee and had to go back reduced hours until tnr in March but have been told once back this time normal full time hours. They really were not happy not back at 6 weeks but this time I am doing as told and will go back when ready as i will again when number 2 needs done.

​Anne you have a heavy workload when you go back so you need to be careful, i was told for two years not to lift anything over 20 lbs

​Sorry for such a negative post xx

• Posted

Employers don't seem to realise what a big op this is I had to go to an absence review interview a fortnight ago my manager has already booked my hours in for when my 12 weeks is up I told them it is my intention to be back by then but can't gaurantee it if my knee still feels the same in 3 weeks time then I won't be going back I work in a post office on the counter and get people coming in with heavy parcels which I have already told my manager I won't be lifting 
    • Posted

No Sharon they do not realise the severity of the op. My husband has already said what I am not to do when I go back....lifting furniture pushing units round the room while the teachers sit and watch, As a teaching assistant we really are only a skivvy.

​When you go back can you get a stool to sit on part of day and hopefully get someone else to lift parcels for you, otherwise you will do yourself harm. Have you had your review with consultant  what he/she say. Take care x

• Posted

Not negative Sue, as a young clever colleague said to me last year, 'Not negative, honest and realistic'.

I left the Army years ago as I wanted to be more than just a number. .......

• Posted

We have a chair to sit on seeing consultant on 10th June should have been a couple of weeks ago but they forgot to send me an appointment
    • Posted

not to be nosy sharon but are the numbers after your name mean anything

• Posted

You just take care and be careful, keep us posted on what consultant says.

​Bed now I think but very swollen tonight right down to ankle....think I may have overdone things today. xx

• Posted

Hi Alan

I hope you had a great day today with no to little pain. Today for me was ok have appointment with my doctor he removed the staples so that feels better, xrays look good we talked about pain and stiffness and trying to sleep. He said that is the number complaint with a knee replacement. Stiffness will fade over time just keep it moving do your exercises. I have a 90 degree bend when sitting on table good movement when he moves the knee. So that is good. Also gave me permission to take ibuprofen once in awhile so let's see if that can help. As for now it's 920pm and I am sore and swollen was on feet most of day did exercises so maybe a little to much. Tomorrow I have another therapy session. So for now took meds and have the ice. Maybe I will be able to sleep. The weather here is getting hot and humid for the next few days plus in the states it is a holiday weekend. But as I can't drive guess where I am going? That's right I stay home. I am sorry I am rambling on but no one here to talk to. So have a great day take it easy rest and ice . And as always thanks to everyone on here.

Tom

• Posted

its a holiday weekend in Scotland to Tom I'm not going anywhere either as this is my husbands fishing clubs weekend away he wasn't going to go as my moods are still up and down but no point in everyone feeling down but on the up side my sister is staying over hope u and all our fellow sufferers have an easy weekend 
    • Posted

Will do when I had my 1st knee done last year I did go back after 12 weeks as I felt I was able to found it quite exhausting to start with but was ok not so sure with this one will see what consultant thinks. Hope you are ok today take things a bit easier x
    • Posted

Hi Tom,

Only seeing your post now.

It's 7.25 am here now. I hope you are getting some sleep.

The surgeons review looks very positive.

I'm here all day if you want a chat.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan 224am here just woke up for bathroom break and to get some ice. Hope you night was good. Going to try for a few more hours

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Happy Birthday K🎂

I hope everyone is treating you like a queen (or king?).

Anything nice planned?

• Posted

Hi Alan

I hope your day is ok. I had my second pt session today and I am sore. Ice and some med and a nap should help I hope. It's getting hot and humid here so getting a little uncomfortable. Well have a great day talk to you sone

• Posted

Hapyy birthday k... May all your wishes and dreams come true 💐🌻🍀, cheers and good health!

• Posted

Hi Tom,

All is good here

Similar to you I am sore at the moment, I had two physio sessions this week, one Wednesday and one Thursday. I am relatively swollen but very stiff, tried to do exercises today, but found it difficult. Did a token effort just to keep the habit.

Going to try ice and rest it this evening and tomorrow morning before I try again.

Overall still in good spirits. Today I saw a local guy I know to see, who uses crutches 100% of the time due to a permanent disability.......really made me think and appreciate how lucky I am, to ha v e a replacement knee, to be immobilised for a temporary period. Sometimes we just forget how lucky we are. So So lucky.

• Posted

Hi, I was stiff and sore yesterday but have been much better today and back in good spirits, pleased to hear you are too, at least we know our problems are temporary. I have learned that there is always someone worse off, have you seen the film The Theory of Everything about Stephen Hawkings life , I found it incredibly inspirational!
    • Posted

Hi sandra

How was your day? I hope all is well.

Can you tell me when you started to ride a bike after surgery?

Thanks

• Posted

Alan

All is well I hope? When after surgery did you start to ride a bike?

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, I am Ok had a better day today. How are you? I rode a bike prior to surgery there is currently no way my knee will bend enough to ride one yet, my physio is going to start me on a static bike when I next see her in a couple of weeks, but she said I wouldn't be doing a full rotation to start with, more like a seesaw effect back and forth.
    • Posted

That's what I was told I am doing see saw motion. I just done last set of exercises. So here comes the ice. I hope you a pleasant weekend and pain free. Thanks again as always I am here all weekend

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Hello Sandra

How was your night? I hope well. It is 930am getting ready to do my exercises and I thought I would check in. My night was not to bad. Woke up a few times. A little sore in the knee joint today, as to be expected as had therapy yesterday. Well enjoy your weekend and take care

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, I had,a pretty good night considering I didn't take any painkillers at all, I needed some this morning as leg a bit sore and usual stiffness, but it is now 5 pm and I haven't felt I needed any more. It's a lovely sunny day today so have just got back from a drink by the river, first time in 3 weeks I have been anywhere other than a walk round the block or tthe hospital.

Hope you are Ok and having a good day.

• Posted

I am so glad you are feeling better. I took one pain med this morning as it was sore. I was seesawing today for a few minutes. Starting to be able to raise leg why sitting. So time for ice, then a walk up and down my driveway

Have a great night

Tom

• Posted

I have a static bike I think I might have a go at seesawing on it in a couple of days. Pleased to hear you are doing Ok too.
    • Posted

Great stuff Sandra, delighted for you. A drink by the river sounds super. We had our first BBQ this year. Only had 1 in total last year weather was so bad.

Forecast for tomorrow and Monday is beautiful.

Well done.

No painkillers sounds great,

• Posted

Hi Alan

How are things going? I hope all is well.

Have a great day

• Posted

Hi Tom,

All good here

Leg a bit swollen but icing it big time.

How are you keeping?

• Posted

It was good to get out of the house and enjoy the sunshine. BBQ sounds good too. Relaxing on the sofa with some ice on my leg as muscles are complaining a bit now, but all in all I'm happy with progress and it sounds like we are all starting to see some improvement which is brilliant.
    • Posted

I am hanging in there my knee is swollen have ice now. I have been doing extra exercises today. So I think I am done for day. Sleeping is getting better only one pain med last night at 10pm and then one this morning

So I thinks that good. I will not push the pain level if it gets up there then will take more. So I hope you enjoy you weekend sounds like you have some nice weather. Today here is hot and humid but they are calling for a lot of rain on Sunday and maybe Monday.

So enjoy yourself take care.

Tom

• Posted

Hi sandra

I hope all is well with you today. Today is not that bad. Done my exercises, went for a walk. So there is a little more swelling so I am just relaxing in front of the tv.

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Not too bad at all for me either. Starting to walk a little further with my crutches, can now walk up the stairs with one foot in front of in front of the other, until I got a bit too confident and didn't lift my foot quite high enough and kicked the last step with my operated leg, now in bed with painkillers and ice, but at least I know it just a temporary setback. Hope the swelling goes down, enjoy the rest of your day.
    • Posted

That is awesome !!!!!! Great job. Get some rest. Have a great night
    • Posted

My family keep telling me off for pushing it, but how do you know what you can or can't do unless you try, I so desperately want to be fully mobile again. Hope it's not too hot and humid for you, have a good evening too.
    • Posted

Hello Sandra

Just want to see how you are doing today.

I hope all is well and you had a very enjoyable weekend. Here was a hot and humid weekend with rain last night and more expected sometime today. Had some pain today on my knee and did not sleep well as was up at 330am with pain. Did morning exercises now just going to rest and elevate with ice. Was able to raise leg still I have to think about it before it goes up. Was seesawing today as well. I have another physical therapy session tomorrow so I think I will take it easy the rest of the day. So have a great day and hope to talk to you soon. Thank you so very much

Tom

• Posted

HI Tom, it is cold again here, typical English weather, a couple of nice days followed by a week of cold and windy weather, usually with rain although that's holding off for now!! I am battling on, trying to stay positive, my bed is my favourite place as I am most comfortable there so another early night with my painkillers and ice. Take it easy yourself and get an early night ready for your physio tomorrow, hope it goes well.
    • Posted

Hello Sandra

I hope all is well with you today, how is pain today, did you sleep ok last night?

Had my therapy session today, I made some progress now at 94 degrees bend and almost straight 5 degrees to go. Starting to switch to a cane hopefully by end of week. The only concern we have is my knee seams to catch something in side when I do step ups. My therapist also felt this when he was going through the range of motion, there is some pain when this happens, I did leave a message with my surgeon about this. We did add some new things today to help strengthen the quads and hamstrings.

So I do hope you are well, and I will talk to you later have a great day and a fantastic night

Tom

• Posted

HI Tom, I am not too bad at all today thanks , my knee seemed a bit looser and I went for a longer walk. Good to hear you are doing so well, hope there's not a problem with it. I have no idea what my bend and straightening is currently at, my next physio appointment isn't until next week, you seem to get much better aftercare in the states, I have been shocked at the amount of people on here from UK who have not been offered any physio at all. Enjoy the rest of your day.
    • Posted

Hi sandra

I hope all is well today? Just checkin to say hi. I am one my way to therapy. Hope you have a great day.

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, I am Ok thanks, gradually introducing more exercises and increasing my walking distance, though my knee still feels very stiff when walking, I think I am getting a good 90 degree bend when sitting but will discuss with Physio next week. Hope you are well and good luck with your therapy today.
    • Posted

Hi Sandra

Just to give an update after therapy, I am wiped out and in some pain. I made it completely around on the bike today granted it was going backwards but I pushed it around. Also did step ups today going up and down with the operated leg, still have the catching feeling in the back of the knee, I was wondering if anyone else has felt this, like it's pinching the inside of the knee.

Came home had some lunch then took a nap.

Now sitting in front of tv with four ice packs on leg from calf to top of knee.

I hope you day is going ok, take care and have a nice day

Tom

• Posted

Al,

How are you this fine day? I hope the weather is good today Therapy wiped me out. Did make it all the way around on bike today. Have some pain in back of knee fe like it's catching. Hopefully gets better with increasing the stretching of the muscles.

Have a great day

Thanks Tom

• Posted

That's great news Tom, I haven't tried a static bike yet, I might try at the weekend. I don't know about your pinching pain, my knee seems to have different pains and tenderness in different areas every day, I put it ddown to the exercises and maybe using muscles and stretching tendons that haven't been working properly for a while, also nerves were damaged in the op, so perhaps they're on the mend, but if you're worried you should discuss with your physio or surgeon. Hope the icing and rest help and enjoy the rest of your day.
    • Posted

Hi Tom,

Glad you had a good session. They can be tough, but you know how to manage it.

I see you did some step ups, I found them very difficult last week, but getting the hang of it now.

Had a tough night last night, pain pretty bad, very little sleep, just overdid it big time yesterday.

Rested today, so hope for a better night tonight.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

You had your group physio yesterday if I remember rightly, I have learned the hard way when I overdo it and resting the next day seems to do the trick, so I hope you have a better night tonight.
    • Posted

HI Sandra,

Not great again last night. Awake most of night, so got up since 4.40am.

Getting some pain in knee, right in my knee, not in surrounding areas. Also very stiff, but that maybe because I took it easy yesterday.

I'm not going to panic at this point, overall I've been doing relatively well, so I can't complain.

Our long weekend is this weekend, weather looks good so looking forward to it.

Hope you are well.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan sorry to hear you are not sleeping well at the moment, took me ages to drop off last night, my scar is really itchy and prickly at moment but there are still scabs on it so I haven't rubbed any moisturiser on it yet as I thought I should wait for it to heal over completely so I couldn't get comfortable.I seem to get pain and tenderness in different areas every day, I wondered if it's where I am using muscles that haven't worked properly for a long time and also nerves that got damaged during the op maybe starting to heal. If it continues though you should get it checked out to be on safe side. Hope you have a better day today.
    • Posted

Hi Sandra

It looks like we all are having some trouble sleeping it is 4am here and I also work with some pain, as well as some itching. Had to remove compression stocking. Just took some medicine hopefully can get back to some sleep.

Have a nice day

• Posted

Sorry to here as I also had a hard time sleeping 4am and up. Bad night sleep for all?

• Posted

Hi Tom, hope you manage to get some sleep, I got a couple of hours eventually Just relaxing with ice for 10 minutes then going to start my exercises which will hopefully loosen my knee up a bit!
    • Posted

Hello Sandra,

I hope you are well? How are you doing?

I am doing ok, have some pain and swelling,

I think I am pushing a little to much so I think I am going to rest most of the day on Sunday. As it is going to rain.

Well take care I will talk to you soon

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, had really bad yesterday so pretty much had a duvet day, much better today so obviously overdid it, I find it really hard to judge. Listen to your body and take it easy.

Thanks for asking.

• Posted

Hi Sandra?

Glad you're feeling better.

I was just saying to Tom, I find it hard to judge/gauge too.

It seems if I stand at all at the moment, even with one crutch I become swollen and then can't exercise. Maybe we're just pushing too hard, like you, I'm just not sure. If I rest too much I feel I should be doing more. Icing now

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan , I love your Ali quotes, very apt to us. I hope you have a better night tonight. I've done far to much today, have a football instead of a knee so icing with a cross husband giving off when he came home from work as three lazy children (grown up but still at home ) have done no helping at home today. Think do nothing tomorrow.

Take care

Sue

• Posted

Hi Alan, everyone says you know if you're over doing it, but I think we're all so desperate to get to some kind of normality that it's inevitable, I felt really rough yesterda, mentally as well as physically so did my exercises and absolutely nothing else and felt much better today so I obviously didn't have a bug which is what I was thinking yesterday, so I can only think it was result of over doing it, I've probably gone and overdone it again today, so it will be interesting to see how I am tomorrow. Let's hope we all have a good day tomorrow, weather forecast for here tomorrow is looking fab, so we are planning a BBQ!
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

Hope your football deflates by tomorrow. We've (Sandra, Tom and I) have just been chatting about how it's becoming difficult to judge how much to do or not to do. Last 2 days I seem to be getting it a***ways. I'm resting now, tomorrow I think I'll do 3 light exercise sessions and ice and rest religiously. Though it is difficult to sit around when the weather is really good.

Re the kids, I have two, the younger is 16, she has just handed me a nice chicken curry and a drink etc. Gets my ice etc. Her 20 year older brother is not too bad either, waited hand and foot on me during my second week. He was home from college and my wife was away. But he can be moody, do nothing except give out (in training to be a man 😃). Overall they're good, just like yours I'm sure.

I'm really glad I found this site. Don't even know how, I don't do v Facebook or twitter, just came across it. But is great to meet such great people, pity we all couldn't hook up in the future and do some charity walk or something. Obviously somewhere nice.

• Posted

Same here. It's hard to sit indoors in the good weather (rare to have it here ).

Delighted tomorrow will be nice though.

I had a bad evening yesterday, about 7.00pm start feeling bad, actally went to bed at 8.00 (never before). slept on and off till about 4.40 this morning so got up. Been tired since, but doing my best to stay awake now. I reckon one really good nights sleep would change everything. Hope you get a good rest too

• Posted

I'm not big on technology either, I do have Facebook, mainly to keep track of what my daughters are up to!! This is my first forum and it has been a great help and support.

Hope everyone gets a hood nights sleep tonight.

• Posted

Well I can say I most definitely over did it tonight, just got in went out to dinner, went walk through walmart then a whole sale club.

I am beat, I am sore, I am swollen, and I have some free pain if anyone needs it. I will be more then happy to ship it to you for free. I ship internationaly so no matter where you are I can get it to you.

Ice ice elevate repeat ice ice elevate repeat

Have a nice night

• Posted

How are you Tom?

Hope you're better and hope you didn't go wild spending with the novelty of being on your feet in a sale💵

• Posted

Hi Tom!

Yes, pain from overdoing it, BUT it WAS great getting out there and BEING ABLE to do normal things, right?👍👍

I overdo it all the time. Pay for it for several days. I am quite determined when I think of things I want to do. My husband and I have been working on cleaning out our garage for the last three days. On my feet for hours on cement, carrying boxes and bags, packing up stuff to donate, keep or recycle. Oh yes, I am paying BIGTIME tonight!😲

BUT... It sure felt good to be able to keep up and not have to sit down every few minutes!

It is raining here now, and I think THAT is making for more swelling and aches, too.

You will survive.

I will survive.

All God's TKR children will survive.

Because THAT'S what we DO!😁😊🙌😳😉

Have a not-too-painful night and a better day tomorrow!😊

• Posted

It was nice to get out. But like you say paying for it now. I can't wait for the rain today.

Again thanks for all the support and encouragement

Have a great day

• Posted

Al,

Hope you had a peaceful night. It's just past midnight and I am doing heel slides as I have a lot of orders for pain so I need to increase production.

I think I may have to do a two for one sale.

Hope you enjoy your day, take it easy.

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Don't do much over-time, you know the pay back is double or treble time.

Why you looking forward to the rain????

• Posted

If it rains I can take the day off from production lol
    • Posted

Ha! Ha!

Good, Overproduction is a waste and it costs. maybe you can optimise stock levels and implement a Kanban system, and produce only as required.

• Posted

You seam to have a good head for business,

If you forward your resume I am always looking for good people, the pay is not that good but have some great benefits, we offer free ice up to five times per day, swelling when ever you need it, and of course pain all you can handle.

• Posted

Ha Ha. Maybe over a pint of the 'Black Stuff' after a brisk walk in the beautiful Glendalough.....
    • Posted

Hello sandra

I hope you had a very restful night and a wonderful day. Today I am very stiff, it is hard to getit moving, bending it tuff very tight and stiff, as I know I over did it yesterday.

Have you gained any of the size back to your leg yet? It looks like my involved leg is so much smaller then my good one. I know this happens.

Well hope you are well

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, I have had quite a good day, my leg is stiff, but I have been concentrating on the straightening exercises today and it feels a bit looser now, I had a lovely lunch by the river as the weather has been warm and sunny today (quite rare here!!) now sat in the garden with the BBQ lit, I don't feel I have overdone it today so hopefully tomorrow will be good. I still have a bit of swelling but it's not too ba. Have a really easy day today and hopefully you will feel better tomorrow, I am learning the hard way that I pay the next day big time if I verdo i
    • Posted

Hi Alan, yes my football did deflate a little, I have had a quiet day today. My husband and I went to Fermanagh and with the beautiful weather had a good day. The kids Alan are 25/23/21 and are good kids but while week 1 & 2 did help their attitude since has been you are at home all day siting on your backside you can do everything. So hard. If asked to do anything it ends up a fight! I am glad I found this site too as people here understand what everyone is going through. We could all hook up and do something at same time /day and post pics of doing it.  

​My problem is how far can anyone walk? I can only manage 1/2--3/4 mile and a lot slower than before my op. Any further and my kmee above thigh aches. I used to walk miles but am struggling!

Thanks for your knid words Alan, mean a lot.

​Night

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Glad you had a nice day. Hope you get a good rest tonight.

Take care,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.