Knee replacement and depression

Posted , 18 users are following.

I've had both knees done 4 weeks ago and was not prepared for the pain and hopelessness but worst of all is the depression is this normal 

1 like, 238 replies

238 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes my dear it all comes with the Tkr unfortunately. This too will pass, just gotta hang in there.  Your going thru a tough post op n will have to muster up the patience and strength to get thru this period of time in your life. It will get better, I promise. 🍀  I'm 9 weeks in n still goin thru pain, slow bend, exercise, it seems like al day, my new life style! Yea! I've decide to wake up to ome and gratefulness, and ... It's going to be a great day 😇 Best of luck, u got a double whammy, however I can only say hangin, it does get better!
    • Posted

Thanks thought it was just me have known a couple of people that got one done but they didn't get depressed not to bad a day to day pray tommorow is the same thanks again
  • Posted

Hi.  Depression is very common after knee replacement. I am 10'days po and on Monday I was hysterical crying from all the medications.  I took myself off of neurontin and cut back on the nucynta.  I went today without any pain Meds.  You've had a traumatic surgery and your body is still recovering. If you can reevaluate your Meds than maybe you can change something.  Also, two handfuls of cashews do wonders for depression. I've been eating them and feel better.  FYI I suffer from depression and have been feeling good. M
    • Posted

Oh and please feel better.  This too shall pass
    • Posted

Definitely going to ask doc to have a look at Meds will try the nuts will try anything but don't feel as down to day just pain 
  • Posted

Hi Ann.... yes I'm afraid it is normal... I had a tkr 18 months agolong hard slog.... then had to have a revision 3 weeks ago... I know only too well the feelings of hopelesness and feeling down.. just now I'm at the frustrated and feeling as though I will never lead a normal life again.... I know these feelings will pass... its the simple things like trying to get up off the toilet... and making a cup of tea..!!.. that are getting me down at the moment ... although try and think back to your first few days after surgery and you will see you have made progress... and think of how much better you will be once you're healed... remember the healing process can be up to a year.... so its really early days.. take care and try and stay positive...
  • Posted

Hi Ann  Sorry you are feeling depressed. I did not expect this either. I am at 9 weeks and feel like I am walking on stumps! My balance is awful too. All I can say is many people I've spoken to say this awful operation takes a LONG time to recover from. Hang in there, eat well and try to get some rest during the day. Best wishes Lyn in Sydney.
    • Posted

Hi lyn

I am 2 weeks out and I am also suffering from depression from this surgery. Did you suffer from the same? My knee is so tight and stiff . I have been do the excerises they tell you to do. Some can do and some can not. I ice all the time hoping that will take out some of this stiffness and the tightness. I am still using a walker to get around and have some balance issues. I did feel like my knee did buckle when I was trying to walk. Doctor said everything looked ok. I have my first physical therapy session this week I am hoping this tightness will go away.

• Posted

Hi tom. I typed a lengthy reply and it disappeared! Just hang in there and continue to do the exercises. Yes, depression is a pain in the proverbial but I am trying to be positive and even though my knee at 9 weeks post op gives out too, many say it does get better. Get some help if you need it. Best wishes. Lyn.
    • Posted

Lyn

Thank you so much. I did reach out to my family doctor and was given some meds that should help. Plus I was able to get out of the house today for a few hours. So I am feeling a little better. Just have problems getting comfortable when sleeping just gets stiff. I tried the pillow between legs but that hurts. I have it elevated on pillows that gets stiff. I do the excerises to the best of my ability. Knee still feels tight. I will take any and all recommendations of getting comfortable why sleeping and sitting.

Thanks Tom

• Posted

Not having a good day mood down 2 short walks but no excersises 

• Posted

Hi Ann I am so sorry you are having a down day. Take the advice of everyone on here take the day and rest. The people on this forum are amazing. It will get better, it has for me. Today is day 13 and I can see the light at the end of a very very long tunnel.

So take it easy and smile and have a great day

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're feeling down today, as Tom says rest up and start the exercises again tomorrow. Take care.
    • Posted

Thanks Tom going to try and get some shut eye Tommorows a new day hope u have a good night 
    • Posted

I know need to give myself a shake just fed up with it I'll be 5 weeks Thursday hopefully keep busy tommorow 
    • Posted

I know how you feel I am 2 weeks tomorrow I had to call my doctor for help. And it did work. I still have some very low moments throughout the day. UT I am always reading this forum and it has gotten me thru.

Get some sleep

Have a great night

• Posted

Your whole body has been given a shock, not just your knees you're bound to have down days, especially as the recovery is a long painful process it takes its toll on you. I hope you get a decent nights sleep and feel a bit better tomorrow.
    • Posted

How are you feeling today, did you manage to get some sleep?
    • Posted

Thanks Sandra had to take 1/2 a sleeping tab got up seven tried some excersice not a enough then back to sleep someone coming to cut my hair to day at least make me look better sore tired fed up but hopeful   How r u 

• Posted

Pleased you managed to get a bit of sleep. It's just going to take time and perseverence, it's bad enough waking up to 1 stiff knee so I can understand how fed up you are with both, it will be worth it in the end and at least you won't have to worry about getting the second knee done. I am doing well, I got 7 hours sleep last night which is the most for a long time, knee very stiff this morning but I took the painkillers and have just done some exercises and it's starting to loosen up, so I am going to try walking round the block. Hope the hair cut cheers you up a bit, I always think if your hair is a mess then you feel a mess as a whole, hope you have a better day today than yesterday, take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.