Knee replacement and depression

Posted , 18 users are following.

I've had both knees done 4 weeks ago and was not prepared for the pain and hopelessness but worst of all is the depression is this normal 

1 like, 238 replies

238 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Ann,

I'm 4 weeks post op too. But only on one knee. I find I feel down some mornings, but in particular the morning after a really bad sleep. This morning is one of those mornings. But trying hard to remind myself of friends a lot worse off health wise.

I am not a 'Holy Joe' but do pray to says Thanks for a successful op and for patience going forward.

You are extremely brave to have both knees done at the same time. Cheer up in the knowledge that we 'Single knee'ers' will probably have to go again, when you are walking or running through beautiful countryside wherever you are, or out dancing to some nice music. On music that old JR Ewing song comes to mind.....One Day at a time.......

Keep the head up and rememb err we admire your bravery.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

I prayed too and mumbled a few choice words at being mad enough to get both done didn't expect pain mornings are worse for me as well feel sorry for my family I feel like someone else
  • Posted

Hi Ann

I had TKA on right knee done on May 11, 2016 so I am a very newbie. I am also very depressed with the pain as well as the hopelessness. I found this forum and decided to join. I have found over the past 16 hours there are so many people on here that are going through the same problems I am. My knee is always very stiff and swollen. Pain at times can make me cry and it has several times. I blame myself for all the pain I am having as I don't like taking pain medication for the fear of becoming addicted to them. During the night I made the decision to stick to the pain medication schedule. I hope this will help with the pain. I really hope to hear from you.

Thanks Tom

• Posted

Alan

I was able to get a few hours on and off. Was very stiff getting up. Just did my exercises the best I could. Still no leg raises. Have ice on now.

• Posted

Tom, Re the leg raises. I was the same at 8/9 days, I couldn't lift it at all. I was getting worried something was wrong. I just kept trying and a few days later got a small lift maybe 2 inch, and could only do 3 or 4 reps. I kept at it, and within a week I was doing 10 reps to 5/6 inches high.

One tip I was given was to lift my good leg a few times and then try the operated leg. It worked for me. It did take a good few attempts and serious effort, but now it's one of the easiest exercises.

Hope this helps,

Alan

• Posted

Hi tom I'm a bit worried about the Medes as well I'm on oxycodone5mg but original 20 mg with top up of 5 when required I was blaming Meds I'm also on an anti depressant but going to docs on mon to get off them hate taking all these pills but if u don't get pain under control u can't cope hope u feel OK tonight as my daughter keeps telling me one day at a time
    • Posted

Hi Ann

I am taking 5mg of oxy every four hours I can bump it up to 10mg if pain is high if I do that then I run out then totally screwed. Also on anti depressants. Today been taking meds every 4 hours along with Tylenol so not as bad but makes me want to sleep. Also been falling a sleep with ice on knee today not good

• Posted

Falling asleep with ice isn't a bad thing. The main thing is rest....your body is telling you that you are worn out and you need rest and you are getting it. There is a nmachine called a cyrocuff. Its like a Coleman cooler with tubes and a motor. You fill it with ice and top it off with water wrap the bladder around the joint and plug it in. One tube pumps cold water around the bladder and it exits out the other. The main thing is to have a towel betweeen the bladder and your skin. You can let that thing run indefinitely. I've used ice for hairs an never done any damage to the tissue. The cloth is the key to safety.
    • Posted

Doing fine. I've got company from CA til Monday. My wife's chatty sisters have been here with their husband's. Outside of my ears ring from non stop chatter everything is normal.....whatever normal happens to be. I cook and clean, rest and start cooking some more. Fortunately my S-I-L's and wife clean up most of my messes. Leg star 26th ing to give me fits as it always does when I get really tired. Going to be an early bedtime tonight.
    • Posted

Morning Tom a new day a day nearer to recovery and hopefully a good one for u 
    • Posted

Hi Ann

Thanks for checking in. It was a very long night. For some reason pain was very intense during the night. It was not pain in the knee but in my upper thigh it was like someone was just putting a lot of pressure in one spot. My knee is sore but also very stiff and tight. My body is telling me something is not right. Doctors say that is normal it will get better. My question when will it feel normal. Loosing hope

• Posted

If you were like most, prior to surgery you favored the leg any way you could to avoid pain. Now you have new parts that have added length to the worn out knee and you are starting to straighten out all of the affected muscles that have been misused. One key is speed. Most try to rush the walking process, screwing up things more. When you walk.....slow down .....and I mean slow to the point of having people look at you and pointing, making small children laugh it loud. Stride as far as comfortable....touching heel then toe and then Ben till it pulls. Start doing this while on your walker where it's easier and safter the when using your cane and finally on your own. You aren't going anywhere in a hurry anyway. (bathroom trips excluded) so do it right. Now you are tracking properly and pulling muscles that need pulled. You can try bio freeze on the leg but not the knee.
    • Posted

Hi Tom, sorry to hear you had a bad night. My knee is still very stiff to and I am worried that I can hardly bend it and it hurts when I try, I think the problem is we don't know if it will ever feel better, it would be easier if you definitely knew the pain and swelling will go and you can do everything you want to. It is early days for us, judging from what others have said full recovery will be months rather than weeks and we are just going to have to hang in there and persevere with the physio. For me it doesn't help that the Surgeon told me recovery is 6 weeks and I would be walking unaided at my 6 week check, I think that gave me unrealistic expectations. Keep plugging away with the painkillers and medsand I hope you have a better day. Sandrs
    • Posted

I thank everyone for their words of encouragement, I know it has only be 12 days but I am in tears at night, unable to get a handle on this, the fear of not being able to go back to normal, I am alone, I have no real support group, I receive a phone call every other day to see if I need anything, I tell the doctor something does not feel right, they take xray all looks good, knee does not feel stable I am afraid to walk, I do my exercises to the best of my ability, and I fear that is not enough. I am sinking in a deep depression. Pain meds some days it works some days it dont. Just at my wits end. This is the only place I found that can help everyone is so nice thank you
    • Posted

Hey Tom,

You'll get there.

I know you will, we are all listening to and supporting each other.

Please remember this is a 24 hour forum due to time differences, so please message at any time. It's 5.50pm here now.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Tom, I am not surprised you feel low if you're not seeing anyone, do you have any friends or family who could visit you even if it's just for an hour, don't be scared to admit you need help, people often just need asking? When are you due to see physio, make a list of all the worries you have ready for when you do go, the physio should be able to give you an idea if you're behind with your progress or expecting too much of yourself at this stage and hopefully give you some reassurance. I feel my operated knee is weak and wouldn't feel stable without my crutches, I am going to talk to my physio about that tomorrow. It's good that you have had xrays and everything looks Ok, it's just going to take time. There is a lot of support on here anytime you need to talk, keep posting.
    • Posted

Hi I see my physical therapist on Wednesday and my doctor on Thursday and I do have a list of questions for them, as far as the family and friends go. My children are grown and they do what they can they are dealing with their own responsibilitys. I am not saying no one helps, I am saying no one is here with me. I have been alone for past few years, I don't like to ask people for help. I am just in a dark lonely place these past few days
    • Posted

Tom.....talk to your primary care Dr. Asap. In today's world, in this society, no one has to fight depression alone. Its real, understandable and treatable. 1st thing tomorrow morning call your primary care Dr and discuss your situation.......in the meantime, try some herbal tea, soothing quiet music......put some cold packs on your forehead and try to relax where ever and whenever. Help is out there but it can't come to you unless you reach out. Granted.....Sundays can be lonely. I was in a rehab center each of the last three times. Due to my wife's Parkinson's she had to quit driving and had to depend on friends and family 4th o bring her by and they werent available a lot of the time so I would spend hours looking at the walls. So, I have a pretty good feeling for loneliness. Remember, tomorrow will soon be here and at 8 am. be on the phone to your primary care Dr. Don't even mess with the surgeon on this one......at last resort......the emergency room of the hospital where your surgery was done. Help is a phone call or cab ride away.

Hang in the ......don't try to do too much today......it's Sunday and you are entiltled to a day off.

• Posted

My friend thank you thank you to all I say thank you, I did reach out to my primary care physician as my office has Sunday hours and he is the one on call, so he did prescribed some medication for this feeling. It has been a long day and it's only 4 pm. I was just walking to the bathroom and boom my foot did not move twisted my knee, eyeballs popped out of my head. Now I am on my back leg in air ice all the way around pain pills have been taken I am so grateful for everyone on here. It is much easier talking to the people here as they are or been through the same thing. And for looking at four walls I understand what you are saying. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and with all the words of encouragement from all of the people on this forum there is always someone up online that I can talk to. I will leave the light on so not in the dark. Thanks
    • Posted

Glad you were able to get some help from your doctor today. Take it easy and look after yourself and keep those meds up, you need them at the moment.
    • Posted

I know Tom we all seem to be. In same boat pain in thigh I was told was because they put some sort of belt like a blood pressure belt round your thigh it will go away I've not been as weepie to day and other people say I'm getting better hope u have a better night it'll get better
    • Posted

Sometimes you need to ask Tom sending you a cuddle
    • Posted

Thank you I need a cuddle. The pain in my thigh is below where they put the cuff on my leg and towards the inside. This is the only spot that is not bruised and by the way the bruises are a nice shade of purple and dark blue, a little crimson color and some yellows the funnest part on top of knee is not bruised

Thank you again to everyone

• Posted

Hi sandra am hoping you had a great day, I thank you for all your words, I said before this is really the only support I have with everyone on here. This is what is getting me thur this very dark and painful time. Every word of encouragement you folks have said to me I really appreciate. Please keep the words coming and with all the help on here we all can heal mentally and physically
    • Posted

Hi Ann!

They put a tourniquet on the thigh during surgery. This prevents blood loss.

For me, the tourniquet pain following surgery felt like a steak knife had been thrust into my thigh! Everyone wanted to know how my KNEE felt. All I could tell them was I didn't really KNOW because it felt like I had a STEAK KNIFE in my thigh!😲

This pain eventually became less and did go away but not for about two MONTHS! I fortunately didn't have this STEAK KNIFE pain with my second TKR four months later.

• Posted

Hi Tom, how are you feeling now, I hope you are managing to get some sleep. Took me ages to get to sleep, my knee seemed to ache more last night so I probably overdid it yesterday, I am finding it difficult to judge how many exercises and how much pottering about I can get away with, I like to do things for myself. Now starting with staggering the painkillers over the next few hours so I have maximum effect from them ready for my physio session later this morning, also the dressing is coming off today, I hope this will help with bending my knee as when I bend the dressing tightens and presses down exactly where it is tender, I don't have staples, they used absorbable stitches and something called a prineo mesh closure, which when I had the dressing changed last week literally looks like a big see through plaster, so I hope it has healed Ok.
    • Posted

Good luck today with your therapy I hope all goes well. It is 1am here and I am feeling ok. The pain during the night is what gets me as I have it elevated but once I get comfortable then the bathroom calls. Please let me know how therapy goes. I am interested. And yes bending knee feels like it is pulling my staples out. So again good luck today. Thanks for everything
    • Posted

I know, me too it must be something to do with the painkillers, they seem to make me really thirsty overnight too so then I drink a load of water, its a never ending cycle. Will let you know how I get on later. I hope you get some sleep soon. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi Sandra, Tom,

I had my best nights sleep last night.

Yesterday, I did my three sets of exercises, the third set I did at about 7.30 pm. Then I iced more than ever throughout the evening, and I iced twice between 10.30pm - 11.00pm. I went to bed at 11.00 pm, going to bed I took 2 Tylex (painkilers) and 1 anti-inflammatory, Keral.

I had two bathroom calls during the night, but overall I slept until 6.30 this morning.

Really happy with that.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan and Tom

Alan, that's great, you function so much better when you've had a few hours sleep, hope you managed some sleep last night too Tom?

It is now exactly 2 weeks since my surgery and the dressing was removed this morning which has made me much more comfortable and I have just had my first outpatient physio appointment, she was absolutely brilliant and gave me some tips on how to sleep comfortably, either with a pillow under my leg long ways from foot up to support the whole leg as it's not completely straight yet or a pillow between the 2 legs to sleep on your side, which has been recommended by a lot of people on here, she reassured me that I am progressing as I should be and has given me some extra exercises to concentrate on straightening the leg and bending the knee, I currently have an 80 degree bend, she also said the only way I could damage it was in a serious accident as I had been worrying that I could mess it up if I twisted it funny or something, I was also moving my operated leg with my hip and she taught me to relax into the,walk and I was much better with 1 crutch than 2, couldn't get the hang of 2 crutches!! I am feeling much more positive, so Tom I am hoping you will feel better once you have seen your physio on Wednesday.

Thank you so much for the support and take care (sorry for the essay, I just feel so energised today now).

take care both of you.

Sandra x

• Posted

Sandra

That is great to hear. I am so happy things went well with you today. I was able to get some sleep. So that was good. I sleep with leg elavated then try a pillow between the legs, that can last maybe an hour or so. It was very stiff this morning still trying to get it moving. Getting ready to take pain pill and try to do some excerises.

• Posted

Alan,

That is awesome!! I was telling sandra I was able to get some sleep last night with a few bathroom breaks which everyone seems to have around the four hour mark. I am getting ready to do my first set of exercises for the day, I did wake very stiff as usual. I am going to call my doctor to see if there is any anti inflammatory meds I could get. I was not prescribed any. Just pain meds, Tylenol, and for first seven day anti blood clotting meds, plus take one 81mg of baby aspirin daily. Great job to all. Thanks again

• Posted

So pleased you managed to get some sleep Tom, I hope you're feeling a bit better in yourself today. I was given ibuprofen as well as paracetamol and codeine, I don't know if they're called something else in US, but the ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory which should help.
    • Posted

Super news Sandra.

Great positive update.

Delighted, keep it going.

Alan

• Posted

Hi Tom,

I think we are all progressing nicely, just at different speeds.

In my opinion sleep is a key input, if sleep is good then head is better, more positive energy, which in turn encourages more positive and focused exercise the following day. Which in turn makes us more tired which helps get better sleep and so on.

It can be inconsistent as we all know, but I now can look forward to getting another 'good' nights sleep, even if it does not happen tonight I am confident that it will happen every second or third night.

Off for second set of exercises now.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi there ofg

I am just checking in today to see how you are doing? I hope all is weel? I am feeling a littler better today. I was able to sleep some last night so I take that as a good thing. Still have the stiffness and the tightness, take some time to some what get it going. Do you have any tips while sitting? I just can't get comfortable. I called the doctor today to see if I can change from Tylenol to ibuprofen, however they said it will interfere with the 81mg of aspirin. I am waiting to see if there is something they can give to help with the swelling. I see the doctor Thursday for staple removal. And this Wednesday will be my first physical therapy session. So looking forward to it. Yea. Again thanks for all the help

• Posted

Alan

I hope you had a great day. My day was ok did my exercises this morning then feel asleep for 90 mins lucky me. Then went for a nice walk to grocery store it was nice to be out, we have had rain past few days. Did speak to my doctor he does not like to use anti inflammatory meds he believes in ice and elevated the leg. If still swollen when I see him Thursday he will discuss other options. Maybe drain some fluid. Well take care doing another set of exercises

• Posted

Hi sandra How does the knee feel after all day. I hope all is well. Keep me posted
    • Posted

Hi Tom, so pleased to hear you sounding more upbeat, a trip out has done you the world of good, I know there are still some issues with pain and swelling but hopefully those will be resolved in time. As for me, I was so full of energy today, you've guessed it, I overdid it!! following the trip to the hospital to various departments, so a trek around long corridors and 30 minutes physio, I came home and tidied up, cleaned the bathroom, cooked dinner and did more exercises, my knee became quite painful so I ended up going to bed early with my painkillers and ice, the good news is I have just woken up after a couple of hours sleep and it's a bit stiff but not painful, it's not quite 2 am here, so will hopefully be able to doze back shortly. Hope you get a good night, at least some exercise tires you out so I hope you will.
    • Posted

Hi Tom,

I had a pretty good day overall. Delighted to hear you were able to get out. I too went for a walk around the block, approximately 0.45 of a mile, so happy with that.

Doctors in Ireland seem to be a bit more lenient when it comes to issuing painkillers/anti-inflammatories (Thank God).

I woke this morning at 5.00am, got 1.5 hours sleep, then went from 1.00am to 5.00am straight through, so happy out.

I'm not sure how far I should be walking (with crutches), this is week 5, anybody any idea?

Thanks,

Alan

• Posted

Glad u had a good day me too managed 3 short walks plus a BATH made me feel so much better hopefully this is a turning point for us
    • Posted

Great Ann, delighted for you.

A bath sounds wonderful, how long since your op? I was told no baths and no swimming until 12 weeks???

Did you find it difficult getting in and out?

Yes I think we are at a turning point. I am starting to see some improvement every day. I am due back to work next week, am a little worried as I don't know if I will be up to it by then, it is worrying me in the back of my mind.

But otherwise it's positive whilst painful.

Hope everyday gets better and better for you.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Why r we all told different I was told  6 weeks but I just couldn't wait got in and out ok went to back of bath slide in it was great went a small walk this morning but longer than yesterday if u don't feel your ready and u can don't go back yet 
    • Posted

Alan,

That sounds about right with walking distance. Here they want you to walk to start 100 ft the first week 3x per day 250 ft 3x per day week 2 and so on. By week two should be off the walker and start using a cane. Week 5 to week 6 no cane no walker no crutches. It is pretty amazing how each doctor is different with what to do each week and with medication. For me being out today did me alot of good. But I am feeling it as it's 5am and I been up for past hot tossing and Turing with pain in thigh area very sore. Just took pain meds hope to fall back to sleep soon. May I ask what part of Ireland are you in?. Are you able to lift your leg?

Thanks and have a nice day

Tom

• Posted

Hi Thomas,

Everyone progresses at a different rate, so please use the below walking recommendations as a guide only.  

Minimum distance: 250ft Minimum frequency: 3x/day Device: progressing to cane or as per your provider's recommendation

Some patients will walk further than the described distances. If walking the described distances is painful, you should stop

This is what I just received from my doctor regarding walk.

• Posted

I am 10 weeks and was told to walk building up as I felt able to, I am walking just under a mile 5 times a week and i still take one crutch with me, as firstly my knee still seems to give a little, not as nuch but still does, secondly as where i live is really hilly and going down I still find difficult and thirdly when I was in a shopping centre a very rude lady banged in to me an sent me flyng into this little old man which has made me quite nervous.

​I think as long as don't over do the walking we are fine, just need to watch don't wak too far one way and then not be able to get home. s

• Posted

Good morning Tom, I was also up at 5.00am. It's 10.25 am here now. Just back from my walk, did it in 20 minutes. Beautiful here today, so will get out later also I hope.

When I walk about 200 feet I have a super view of the sea, beautiful but really beautiful when you haven't seen it for a few weeks ☺.

Physio told me last week, that I can practice one crutch indoors, but not outdoors yet. Many many different opinions from the professionals!

I am in County Wicklow, less than 1 hour from Dublin. Wicklow is known as 'The Garden of Ireland', it is a beautiful county with rolling hills and beautiful beaches. Also a long and I retesting history, one of our big tourist attractions is 'Glendalough' worth

Googleing.

I found this morning that when I got out of bed and moved about the pain eased a bit.

Hope you have a good day too.

Keep posting,

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Thanks Ann,

I won't go back until I'm ready but I do worry about it. It's just on my mind.

Thanks again,

Alan

• Posted

Brilliant Al well done, it is a lovely feeling and does us good when the weather is good enabling us to get out for a walk in the countryside. You live in a beautiful part of Ireland, I live up North in the country and love to get out. I have been on static bike this am so walk is later on. I still take 1 crutch with me but do not use any in house.

Have a good day

​S

• Posted

Hi Sue,

The North is very beautiful too.

When did you stop using crutches indoors? What did physio/surgeon recommend?

Thanks,

Alan

• Posted

So good to hear everyone is improving, I'm sure the sunshine helps, I live in a small town in The cotswolds in UK and the weather is gorgeous today, so will be going for a little walk later. Long may the process continue.
    • Posted

Hi Al, when I went to physio at 3 weeks she said I should only be using 1 crutch, so I went down to 1 indoors and still 2 outside and gradually from then tried a couple of steps were I knew something was in close range. My hubby did not allow me to use none when noone else was in house. At about 5-6 weeks i very rarely used one indoors and only one outside. At my last physio at 7 weeks she said I should not need them at all however on way out anther physio followed me and said use one if I feel I need it for stability...better that than going down! I do only use one when out walking or know I am going somewhere I cannot get parked close by.

​I know I read somewhere but can't remember how many weeks are you now?  When are you due back to work? I am supposed to be in a couple of weeks but think I may have to see, I am on my feet 8 1/2 hours a day and do not feel I could manage hat yet. At least I know I am on right track  as feel so much better than before. Take care S

• Posted

Thanks Sue.

I am 5 weeks our tomorrow.

I can manage in house on one crutch.

This morning I took about 25 'half' steps without crutches, had them on hand but not touching ground. Pretty happy with that.

I also did my 0.44 mile walk (around the block) and did a good exercise session. Then I shaved and had a shower.

Right now knee is quite swollen and stiff, but I expect that. I am icing now also.

I don't think I am overdoing it as I feel OK?

All feedback welcome?

Thanks,

Alan

• Posted

Never been to the Cotswold but hear it's absolutely beautiful. Who knows maybe I'll be hill walking there someday.
    • Posted

It is lovely, I have been to Ireland once, we did a boating holiday on the Shannon which was amazing and everyone was very friendly in the pubs along the way. I am sure it won't be long before you can do everything you want to, I am very much looking forward to being able to go for long walk.
    • Posted

Same here. Glendalough has at least 10 different walks, different lengths and degrees of difficulty, I can't wait to do even the easiest one. Brittas Bay is a beautiful beach close by, I use to walk that every weekend, can't wait.

Let's hope this beautiful weather lasts....

• Posted

Yes there's lots of lovely walks by me too, I've only been to the end of my road and back so far, I might try going round the block tomorrow. We certainly picked the right time of year to get our knees done, I wouldn't have dared to venture out if it was cold and icy.
    • Posted

Alan,

I hope you had great day. I was able to get a few more hours sleep. Done a few exercises this am. Very sore. So have ice now. Going to try a hot shower to see if I can loosen up. I did goggle your town and wow what a beautiful place. Upper and lower lake look amazing. Have a great day

• Posted

I would l.ove to go to the Cotswolds. Boating on the Shannon is lovely, my father-in-law has a wee boat and when the kids were younger had a few good times down the Shannon -Erne waterway and then the Shannon. My hubby took me down to it at the weekend, we keep in in Lough Erne....it was so funny me trying to get on and off....hope noone was filming it!

​Like you I can't wait to be able to go for a lovely long walk with my wee dog. She really misses me taking her and noone else will take her.

• Posted

We've done quite a few different waterways over the years, but Ireland is one of my favourites, we have a little boat on the Thames so I am looking forward to getting out on that, with all the rain this year we've only been out on it once, it will be a few weeks yet before I can get on and off!! Your poor little dog, I am sure it it won't be long before you take her. I live about 10 miles from Oxford, maybe you can think about a walking holiday in the Cotswolds when you're fully recovered, there's some old English pubs and hotels you can stay in.
    • Posted

My husband would love to try some other waterways so hopefully will sometime, I prefer walking and hotels.  Take your time going to boat, he took me down to get away from bad tempered lazy (grown-up) kids and to cheer me up. It was good, but he had to do all the mooring etc butit was really hard to get on and off. Take care x
    • Posted

A have a couple of those too, it's been a shock to them to have to help out for a change!! Not planning to go boating until beginning of Augus, it's a challenge getting in and out of the car at the moment. Lovely to get out in air. I wouldn't rush back to work if you don't have to especially if you're on your feet all day, you take care too.
    • Posted

Hi Alan, I too would be stiff after physio and when I use the bike it would give from under me for a few moments when I get off

​Well done on going round with out cutches, just be careful and make sure close to something if no crutches to hand.

​I found it was the nextday my leg played up if i overdid it so see how you are tomorrow.

I am going for a walk before inner as it is a lovely day here.

​Take care s

• Posted

Hi sandra

Been following your post with Sue it sounds like the both of you live in beautiful places. It sounds amazing. I wish I lived in such a place . I am near the city of Philadelphia with about 6 million people to many for me. I hope your day was good and your knee feels good. I just finished my walk so now maybe some lunch and ice. Have a great day

• Posted

Hi Tom, I think I have turned a corner, I have rested more than yesterday, I don't want to overdo it again, but still pottered about the house and had a walk up the road and back and my knee isn't feeling too bad at all. I like living in a small town, cities are Ok to visit for a weekend but I wouldn't like to live in one. I have been to New York, Florida and California for holidays, we have friends that live in Seattle and Charlstone but haven't managed to visit them as yet. How's your pain now, is it improving at all?
    • Posted

That is good to hear. My pain has not been to bad. It is just a steady pain. It hurts more at night just can not get comfortable. I think it will get better after the staples are removed. We will see how much pain there is after therapy tomorrow. But will take meds before and after. There is still some swelling that is hindering the bending and the straighten. Again I thank everyone on here with all their words of encouragement.

• Posted

Night time is difficult, I've tried sleeping on my side but that seems to irritate my knee more. Good luck with the physio tomorrow.
    • Posted

Hi Alan

I hope it's not to early it's at 1245am here just trying to fall asleep guess nervous about physical therapy later today so I thought I would drop a line and say hi. I hope you had a great night and you got some sleep. I would like to know what is a good Irish dish to cook. Something that's easy and good. If you have the time let me know. Have a great day I will be sure to update all on how my therapy went.

Thanks again

Tom

• Posted

H, I hope you are getting a good night's sleep, I actually slept straight through for the first time - 7 hours, I am obviously becomingused to sleeping on my back! My knee is,a bit stiff this morning but I have taken the painkillers 30 minutes ago and will be starting on the exercises shortly to loosen it up. Traditional English food would have to be fish and chips, (fish deep fried in a crispy batter) but I never make it at home, we have fish and chip shops in every town and most villages that do such a good job of it, you could also google Toad in the Hole recipe and Shepherd's Pie, they are typically English, I personally like spicy food, Indian, Chinese, Thai, Mexican and have hundreds of cook books, my latest craze is Caribbean and Tagines. Good luck with your physio appointment later, let us know how it went.
    • Posted

Hi sandra

Glad to hear you were able to sleep. Just returned from therapy and was not that bad. Have about 68% bend so that's pretty good. Was able to lift leg from a sitting position. So over all not a bad session. I have another one scheduled for Friday. So continue to walk and do exercises, gave me some new ones to try. Tomorrow staples come out so that will help. Also swelling not to bad, pain what can I say it hurts but did take pain meds before therapy then due for one in an hour or so.

So have a great day and as always thanks

Tom

• Posted

hi Tom , pleased to hear the physio went well and the swelling is going down, you're knee is obviously starting to heal.I have done my exercises twice today and been for a longer walk, it is 4pm here, pottered around this morning but have lazed in front of the TV this afternoon! Hope you have a good day.
    • Posted

Hi sandra

I hope day was good. It has been a long day kinds of worn out today after physical therapy and doing exercises today. Lots of ice today and rest tonight just like lazed in front of tv. It will be a interesting day tomorrow as it is supposed to be very hot here don't know how the humidity will effect the knee. So I wish you a good night and a good day. Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Hi Alan

All went well with pt today. Day got long as done excerises and now it's hurting. So pain meds and ice. I hope you day went well. Tomorrow my staples come out so I hope that gives a little more rom. Take care have a good day

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, not too bad a night had some weird dreams, I kept waking up in a panic thinking I've forgotten something essential for my knee but can't quite put my finger on what it is I think I'm missing!! It's probably the painkillers making me think odd things in my sleep! My knee is so stiff again this morning, I don't know if that means I overdidit again yyesterday or if it's just part of the process, but I am feeling a bit like I am starting from scratch again each morning with the bending and straightening, sorry for the moaning - one of the not so good days for me I guess.

hope you are getting a good night's sleep and you feel more comfortable with your staples out. Have a good day, hope your hot weather suits your knee, cold here again after the lovely sunshine at the beginning of the week.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Hope you are well. Interestingly, my knee has been very stiff the last 2 mornings also. Yesterday I attended a group physio session and a couple of the women said they were stiff also. One lady said the weather has cooled and it is damp and that may be the cause. It was lovely here earlier in the week, it is raining last night & this morning. My wife has slight arthritis in her hands and they are very sore this morning.

Not sure, but the chang in the weather nay have some impact.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

hi Alan, how are you? I am Ok thanks, just feeling a bit sluggish this morning, I've done a few exercises to try and get my knee going but it's slow, maybe it is the weather it's not raining here but it has gone really cold, like winter again. Group physio is such a good idea, it helps to compare notes with others going through similar things. Have a good day, thanks for your support.
    • Posted

Hi Tom,

Hope all is well and hope you skept well. I was off line yesterday. I went to a group physio session in Dublin, pretty good overall. Cycled 5K on the exercise bike, did a few other exercises, bur had me standing and stepping up on my operated leg, this was tough, but physio said she wanted to push us, which is fine. My bending (flexion) was just over 90 degrees. I thought it might be closer to 100 but was swollen from tough exercises and stiffer than normal that morning. I was briefly disappointed, but realistically swelling won't help.

Re Irish dish, let me have a think about it b and I'll get back to you later.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

It's 5am here and woke to some pain and stiffness today a little more the yesterday. Could be from therapy and new exercise. They have me laying on my stomach with my knees hanging over the bed for 5 mins to let gravity do the work to help to straight out knee.

Just took the last pain med I have, I hope doctor will prescribed more today if not I see some lone days and nights ahead.

Never asked how many times a week do they send you to physical therapy over there. Here I am scheduled three times a week for next 8 weeks.

So with that I hope everyone has a great day. Take it easy rest and ice

Tom

• Posted

Hello my friend my across the pond. It is 5am and I am sore and stiff today it woke me up. So I am wrapped in ice and took last of the pain meds. Hopefully doctor will prescribed more today.

I hope I can get a few more hours of sleep but time will tell. I asked Alan and I am going to ask you, how many times a week do they send you to physical therapy over there, I am scheduled for three times a week for next 8 weeks.

Will let you know how staple removal goes.

Have a nice day.

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Good to hear all is well.

I attend group physio session/circuit once per week in the hospital where the surgery was carried out.I also have a program of exercises to carry out 3 times per day. I usually can only manage twice per day. The physio in the weekly group session gives us at least one or two new exercises to do at home too.

Today, I am also going to a one-to-one physio session in my home town, this is covered by my national health insurance, I am going to check out how useful/effective this is, as I nly have 2 more of the group sessions left to do.

I have to say the pain has not been bad at all, though I do use the painkillers. Some days my knee does feel heavy, like a small concrete block. But overall I feel (think) I am doing well.

Due to rain etc I haven't walked as much as I'd like to, but Otherwise OK.

This forum though has been a great help too, to be able to chat with people in similar situations is fantastic.

Thank you all,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Tom, hope you manage to get some more sleep.

I get 8 sessions of 1 - 1 physio sessions, 30 minutes every other week, in between I try to do the exercises at least twice a day, I also have the lying across the bed on my stomach one, but I find it really uncomfortable.

Hope the staple removal goes well and you get more meds.  Have a lovely day.

• Posted

Hi sandra

I hope all is well and your day was ok. My staple removal went well no pain as still have some numbness in knee area. Surgeon said all looks good nice bend at 90 degrees while sitting on the table. Continue to do pt exercises, gave me new prescription for meds to help next couple of days. Wants me to ween off them. Continue the walker try to change to a cane by next week. He said stiffness will slowly fade away give it time as you just had my knee replaced his way of making a joke. So done my exercises for the day now trying to ice to get some of the swelling out. He also said I could take ibuprofen once in a while yeah yeah. Just feeling a little bit tired today have headache so maybe I will take a nap but it's hot here and ac not working at 100%. So I hope everyone enjoys their night get some rest.

And as always thank you

• Posted

Hi Tom, I have had better days, very stiff and sore today, I tried exercises and icing but couldn't seem to loosen it up, I take ibuprofen 3 times a day and I think it helps, just off to bed now so hopefully tomorrow will be better, good to hear the stiffness will gradually go. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction which is fantastic and I am sure it helps having the staples removed, my knee is numb on one side too, the physio, told me to massage my knee. Hope the heat isn't too unbearable, enjoy the rest of your day.

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.