Minimally invasive surgery next week. Don't know what to expect. Please help!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm having MIS on my left bunion next week.I'm really worried about a few things. Firstly I'm worried about the operation. I'm having sedation which I'm a little nervous about and wondered if anyone had done this without being sedated and just relied on the regional block they use. I'm also worried about the pain factor after the operation. Just wondering how bad it will be. I have 3 young children and really worried I'm not going to be able to hobble around the house to get them a drink or a snack. I'd love to hear from someone else who has had minimally invasive surgery. I need my mind putting at ease.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gillian, I had a bunionectomy and and a surgery on my 2nd toe. So, mine isn't like yours and hopefully my experience won't be yours.

I can assure you there would have been no way I could have looked after little ones. I had complications and couldn't even attempt to walk for 6 weeks. Then, I still had horrendous nerve pain. Thankfully. I'm now 11 weeks post op and the nerve pain has finally diminished. I start physical therapy next week and go back to work tomorrow.

There is no way I would do this will little ones in tow. I was basically bed bound and needed aleveryone's help. So, of course, my advice is based from my personal experience and I would suggest you wait until your little ones can wait on you.

Good luck with your decision and health!

• Posted

Hi Gillian!

Hope I can help you a bit here. I had MIS bunion surgery right foot 13 weeks ago! I had only local freezing (just my toes really - not even ankle! 😱) and was given an Ativan to put under my tongue one hour before surgery. That's all! Let me tell you I was feeling no pain and was very relaxed! I could hear sounds, see them working (although there was a privacy screen in front of me) but I wasn't even daunted by it all... Amazing what drugs can do! I was quite comfortable and they even gave me special goggles to watch a movie of my choice while the surgery was taking place!

After the surgery I was very diligent at staying elevated and icing every hour - for a whole week! I tried to minimize walking but by day three walked down the stairs (carefully) and after that was able to move about more and more every day. But still needed a substantial amount of time to elevate. It would be wise for you to have some help for the first couple of weeks. Even at that point I would try to make dinner but being the end of the day, it was the most vulnerable time so I would feel some throbbing and heaviness and need to elevate. By three weeks I was feeling really good and it just kept getting better until my surgical shoe came off at six weeks.

It has been steady since then, but slowish. I am still a little too swollen for stylish shoes but it's getting there. When the surgical shoe comes off you start to move around again like before surgery and so you tend to feel some discomfort in pushing yourself when maybe your foot is not quite ready for all the standing and action.

I am scheduled for my left foot Sept 30 almost 7 months after the right.

Everyone seems to have different experiences but I have to say mine was not so bad at all. I was given some painkillers to take for pain and inflammation after surgery but I only took one/day in the evening to help with inflammation. The pain after was never unbearable - sometimes just a Tylenol would help - but the whole ordeal does hold you up for a time mobility wise and you really just have to be patient and wait it out! Your foot will be better in the long run!! Mine is better already!

Best of luck to you! Be brave - it's worth it!

Susan

Toronto, Canada

• Posted

Hello Susan. Thank you very much for taking time to reply. I'm glad that your foot is better. I hope you are pleased with your results. I keep wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I think it's just nerves kicking in with the amount of pain I will be in really and the actual operation itself of course to get through. I'm very nervous indeed. I've been sedated before a few times but each time I get equally as nervous!

I think the sedation I will have will be via a canola. There was no mention of a tablet. Maybe it's different here in the UK. I had breadth implants under local and sedation and I woke up a couple of times in the procedure but soon went back to sleep. It was an OK experience so I'm hoping this time I won't be waking up in the op. If it was a general idea rather put up with hideously ugly feet for the rest of my life

My other worry is getting up and downstairs helping with the children and making meals for the family. I'm worried I won't be able to do anything for weeks. It's very much "the unknown". You're right. Everyone's experience seems to differ from OK to horrendous!! It's difficult to know how it's going to be 😕.

Well, if you're getting your other side done soon it can't be that bad! ??? Lol x

• Posted

I am booked to have surgery on 31st August and like you I am still unsure whether to go ahead. I have to have my big toe fused and a large lump removed. Good luck with your op.
    • Posted

Hi Jan. I think second thoughts are arising as I don't feel too informed about what it will be like right after the op!! I was explained about the op itself but not about the recovery other than a boot I will wear for 6 weeks. If I didn't have 3 young children watching TV all day wouldn't bother me. They are at school in the day but evenings are exhausting with them. I'm always so active and I never sit down. It's going to drive me crazy the recovery but praying it will be worth it to have a normal looking foot. Are you having minimally invasive? X
    • Posted

I had this done 2 weeks ago, and the pain is still horrific. I know everyone is different, but my surgeon will not let me when attempt to walk on it for six weeks, and has to stay in a boot. The first week I could not do anything for myself, and still limited notlw.
    • Posted

Hi. Typed a message and it disappeared!! Oh dear. Sorry to hear about your pain. I'm surprised about you not being able to walk about for 6 weeks. I was told I could heel walk straight away....not that I could possibly do that though. I have to get up and downstairs on my bum and hands. My small daughter thinks it's hilarious!

I've been sat here since 2am because the pain is so bad but not really so much where operated on but on the other side of my foot and toes. Quite unbearable!!

I hate the boot. I wasn't given any advice about it when I left hospital. It just got shoved on my foot and that was it. I'd love to keep it off. I think it makes the other side of my foot ache terribly. For some reason I'm getting pain in my little toes and side of my foot that hasn't even been operated on!

I tried to walk on my heel for first time today. I did one heel down and that was it. I knew I wasn't ready!! It's awful. The op itself was a doddle really. It's the recovery that's going to be very hard going. Praying it's worth it.

• Posted

I have 3 young children too so nervous about when I will be back into getting them sorted myself. My mum has come to stay with me as we live over an hour away from her. She does the school runs and does the house chores etc but she can't be staying here so much as she has her own life to lead. I feel very guilty.

I'm wishing the days away to when I can at least hobble on my heel. I will feel happy then that I can get about and do things for myself and the children. It's a bit miserable right now 🙁

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

Well I'm sorry to hear you are a bit uncomfortable. It was really only a bit so for me. I was able to heel walk but stayed off as much as possible especially for first week. I heel walked down my stairs on the 3rd day. By the 5th day I was alone in the house all day and had to fend for myself for food and even get my own ice! It was ok. I had a surgical shoe. I had a follow-up appointment one week after my surgery to be checked on and have bandages changed.

I agree with Margaret that I was usually more discomfort than pain, although ocasionally felt more pain or throbbing.

I know you said at two weeks you would have a follow-up. I think maybe you should take off your boot? Your foot probably needs to air out somewhat? Perhaps you need to ask your doctor first? Maybe some pain is coming from

your boot?

I always took my shoe off particularly to ice. And also to sleep at night.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Susan xo

• Posted

Hi Susan

Yeah had the most discomfort today. I'd like a break from the boot. Wish they'd been a bit more informative about it. I might have a little break from it tomorrow for a bit. It's the weekend now so I don't think there might be people to answer my questions. I wasn't told to ice but I've been contemplating getting a small ice pack from the freezer for my toes. Not sure why parts of my foot that hasn't been operated on is giving me discomfort! It's very bizarre. I can only think it's the boot!

It's my third day tomorrow and no way could I heel walk downstairs!! I was thinking today oh why did I do this. I'm pretty sure in 6 weeks when I have my dressing took off I will be happy I did but until then......

I'm dreading my 2 week follow up appt at hospital as I'm thinking I bet I still can't even heel walk by then!! Oh dear. 🙁 xx

• Posted

Gillian, have you not applied any ice to your foot yet? I mean, a big ice pack or bag of frozen vegetables every hour over your bandages - without the boot-

The ice keeps the inflammation down as much as possible!

I was also told to drink pineapple juice for inflammation and also starting taking Arnica one week prior and for one week after, also to help with inflammation. But I was icing every hour as well....

• Posted

Hi Susan. No. I've not done any ice at all. I wasn't told to. Sounds good though. I will have to try it tomorrow.

I'm so gutted I'm not getting my sleep. It's 3.40am in England and I'm just laid on the sofa with my uncomfortable foot! I'm home alone tomorrow too so hopefully I can catch up on sleep if the house is quiet.

I love pineapple juice so I must get hubby to buy me some tomorrow. It's worth a try. I'd love some wine really haha I think that would help but with the amount of pain Meds I'm taking I'd probably end up dead so pineapple juice it will have to be lol. Xx

• Posted

Hi Gillian

I has MIS on my right bunion and 2 hammer toes on 4th May so I am now in my last week of wearing the boot.  I had a general anaesthetic and was in theatre for 50 minutes and they gave me an ankle block which lasted for 18 hours after the op. I was up and out of bed within 3 hours after the op and have been walking on my heel with crutches.  I have been able to get around since in the same way and as Susan says it has got easier and easier.  Pain wise I had more discomfort than pain for the 4 days after surgery which was controlled with paracetamol or Ibruprofen since then has been ok.  I suggest it may be a good idea to have some easy to prepare food in for the first couple of weeks so that you can do this quickly if you have 3 children because the elevation is essential in the first 2 weeks.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Margaret

• Posted

Hello Margaret. Thank you for your reply. So brave to have a general. I wouldn't be getting it done if it was a general anesthetic!! Way too much of a wimp for that. I'm happy that it's an ankle block with sedation.

50 minutes seems good for what you had done I've been told 45 minutes.

I'm hoping to do a food shop the day before my op with things that are easy to cook.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me it had put my mind at ease a little regarding the pain factor. X

• Posted

I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to medical procedures as I had a procedure done to me that I swear I should have been put to sleep for or something but they insisted it was fine, I had to endure 5 days of it and it has really scarred me. I had a lapidus procedure done for my right foot in March and I'm trying to transition to one crutch now but still feel some pain but not to the point of needing meds, pain is subjective though. I would ask if you could be put to sleep and express your uncertainty, which is natural, there are some people who can handle and some who are uncomfortable. I know usually an ankle block is used for less extensive surgeries and sedation but for mine, I was on an ankle block and put to sleep.

For my surgery, I was in intense pain for the first 2-3 days after, the ankle block started to fade the day after surgery. I'd have to take a lot of percocet because I just couldn't do anything but cry because of the pain. I only got up to use the bathroom. I couldn't really shower until probably the 3rd or 4th day because I just couldn't move around, I was in bed most of the time and my partner did everything else for me. Based on what you're telling me, you're not going to have to worry too much but I would highly recommend you rest, ice, and elevate as much as you can for the first two weeks then as necessary. And make sure your doc gives you good postop instructions on what you should or shouldn't do.

• Posted

Hi Allison. Thanks for your reply. Did you have the minimally invasive procedure and was it just a bunion to correct? It sounds like you were in a lot of pain afterwards. Bit scary. My mum is coming to stay to help with the children as my husband works. At least the children are at school during the day. They are 11 8 and 6. They can do a lot for themselves and my son knows how to makes homemade pizzas so I'm making sure we have pizza ingredients incase I can't cook. I have a feeling it will cost me a lot in pocket money getting them to do jobs for me lol

Hopefully they will let me know what I can and can't do. It's so important after that type of op to know what your limitations are

I hope you're pleased with your results x

• Posted

I most definitely did not have a minimally invasive procedure. I had a flexible foot and a moderate bunion and a tailor's bunion (bunion on the pinky toe). They had to cut the first metatarsal bone and fused it midfoot and realigned the entire bone to make it straight and they just made bone cuts for my pinky to make that one straight. The pinky toe wasn't much of an issue as far as pain goes once the swelling stopped being so much. It was mainly my big toe but you can see why it hurt so much.

​But definitely, prepare as much as you can before the surgery. You may think it won't be an issue just hopping around on one foot but it is mostly because as long as you're upright, your foot will swell more especially in the first week or two of the surgery which I mentioned to be careful on controlling that because it'll put pressure on your stitches and make it really uncomfortable, it can bust open if the swelling gets too much. I would just ask, think about concerns before your preop appt to ask them.

​I'm not sure if I'm pleased or not...I don't necessarily care what it looks like but more my capabilities now. My toes were really stiff (especially my big toe) from being immobilized for about 6 weeks but now they bend up pretty alright but my big toe can barely bend down. My leg muscles dystrophied as well so I'm still working on regaining strength. I can't flex my foot or anything right now at least. But we'll see, I'm assuming as time goes I'll be able to but I know there's a chance I may not. I'm a big hiker and rock climber so this is not really what I wanted but needed it as I'm in the military.

• Posted

Hi Allison. Yes, you're op is different to what I'm having. I really hope you can get back to what you enjoy doing with the climbing. I'm a gym bunny and praying I can get back in the gym and do what I'd normally do after its healed.

I'm killing myself right now trying to get decorating and cleaning and washing windows and washing bedding etc as I know that's not going to get done for a while.

I hope everything will go to plan and that I'm going to be able to rest as much as possible. The recovery will drive me bonkers and going to have the op will be such an inconvenience and scary time!!

Thank you for your reply x

• Posted

Hi Gillian

Reading other responses and you probably are already aware but with MIS you will have very little in the way of stitches. My scars have already gone!

Good luck again

Margaret

• Posted

Hi.

Yes that's the great thing about keyhole but even with a 4 inch scar with open surgery it would look better than my ugly bunion. 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.