The TKR Experience (or...Wish I Had Another Kidney Stone)

Posted , 86 users are following.

Most Important...  Everyone heals at their own pace.  Don't judge yourself by anyone else's progress.  This is between you, your PT and your doc.

That being said...here are some "ballpark" estimates...

1. Medication...  Take your pain meds.  This is not a test of endurance.  Need 'em?  Take 'em.  Ballpark... Most people are off the the opioids in 4-6 weeks; some need them longer.  800mg Ibuprophin or Tramadol (both RX) after that if you need it.  The opioids will make you constipated and possibly dependent.  Nobody wants something highly addictive in their medicine cabinet; toss them as soon as you can.

2. Pain... A TKR is really, really, really, really painful...no getting around it...especially the first month.  Don't measure your pain levels daily...monthly is better as you'll see dramatic changes from the longer time span.  Ballpark... The worst of the pain will probably be gone within 90 days...but again, everyone's different.   

3. Assistance...  Crutches, walker, cane...whatever you need for as long as you need it.  Ballpark... Most people are off of all those items within 90 days but the sooner the better.  Gotta start to learn how to walk on your own again...sometimes, you have to push it. (NOTE: This may not apply to people with previous hip/knee/leg problems or to the elderly.)

4. Pysical Therapy...  Gotta do it.  Your therapist will work with you to both straighten and bend your knee.  Full range of motion is zero degrees straight and greater than 120 degrees bent ( 0 / +120 ).  I started at -14 / +84 and finished 9 weeks of PT at -1 / +128.  Ballpark...  Depending on age, previous conditions, individual circumstances, you should shoot for the full range of motion goal.  If you can't get there at PT (I was still one degree from straight), finish the work in the gym or therapy pool.  The closer you get the better...but again, everyone's different.  You should consult with your doc and PT.  Who wants to walk with a limp or a cane the rest of their life???

5. Exercise...  After PT, ya gotta rebuild the muscles in your leg, especially the quad.  Walking, swimming, stairs, whatever.  You have to rebuild your strength to support the knee.  Ballpark...  Since it's during and after PT, this work usually falls within the 3 to 6-month range for most people.  My daughter has been an ACSM- and ACE-certified personal trainer and graduate nutritionist for the past 16 years.  Her recommendation: Build endurance before strength.  Warm up on a bike for 30-45 minutes (set the seat high enough for full leg extension)...then do your stretches.  For your exercises, start with NO weight but perform 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps each until you are at ease with every exercise and are not tired out by them.  Use your good leg to stabilize yourself during the the exercise...don't use the good one to fake the reps.  The idea is to get the bad leg as strong as the good one before you fully exercise them together again or even isolate the bad leg for exercise.  Once you can't tell one leg from the other (feeling balanced and not relying on the good one), start adding weight...slowly....like 5 pounds at a time, again using the good leg to stabilize yourself.  Any pain, strain or swelling means you did too much too fast.  Back off...you'll eventually have equal strength in both legs.  PS: I guess people with BTKRs can do both legs together...I'd have to ask her.

6. Swelling...  This is the knee's way of telling you that you overdid it.  Back off, ice, elevation, rest.  Ballpark...  Everyone does this at one point or another.  Listen to and learn from your body.  Avoid pushing it too far.  There's a fine line between progressing and heading off the cliff.  Everyone has to find that sweet spot for themselves.

7. Sensations...  There will be numbness at the incision site.  Nerves have been cut.  Ballpark...  Crapshoot; normal feeling may come back or it may not.  Some people have an uncomfortable sensation of the knee rubbing against clothing or sheets.  Hint: Wrap the knee loosely with an Ace Bandage or buy a "knee sleeve" and slide it on over the knee.  Easy Fix.

8. Sciatica...  If you've never experienced this intense pain from your back, through your hip and then running down your leg, be thankful...be very, very thankful.  On occasion, the sacroiliac (SI) joint on one or both sides of your hip will lock up and pinch/inflame the sciatic nerve.  This happens because we change our gait to compensate for the knee pain.  In layman's terms, "you threw your back out."  Ballpark...  Some people get it, some don't...another crapshoot.  Possible solutions: steroid injections, Celebrex, Lyrica, 800mg Ibuprophin, chiropractic, therapy pool, accupuncture.  Whatever works; talk to your doc.  It's temporary but painful; cross your fingers and toes that you don't experience it.

9. For simple discomfort that doesn't need RX painkillers...  Aside from the standard OTC pain meds, here's a suggestion: Voltaren Gel (diclofenac) is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by reducing substances in the body that cause pain and inflammation.  Voltaren is used to treat mild to moderate pain, or signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.  I use this almost every night; just rub it in.  Works in 10-15 minutes. RX only.  Get your MD to write a script for lots of tubes (I got five right out of the box.).  Checked with a few pharmacists about an OTC pain relieving cream...they all told me to get my doc to write a script for Voltaren.  Don't think about it; just do it.

10. Post-Op Depression...  No one..NO ONE...talks about this, not even the docs.  Found out the hard way when I had my hip replaced in 2009.  Hospital, rehab facility then home.  Started crying and couldn't stop for three days.  Called my MD cousin.  Told me that it was Post Operative Depression.  This is a KNOWN condition that occurs frequently in people who have had an operation that removed an original part of their body.  Not so bad for appendix, gallbladder, etc.  Moderate to severe for hips, knees, shoulders, etc.  Really bad for heart transplants, traumatic brain injury, etc.  For us, it's a definite possibility so be prepared.  Blown away for three days with the hip until I knew what it was.  Gone in 24 hours because I was now aware of it.  For the knee, I was totally prepared.  Kicked its butt.  Remember...this is a definite possibility so be prepared.  If you start feeling really sad and you're crying all the time post-op...now you know.  Get out of the house into some sunshine.  Take extra Vitamin D.  Eat healthy; hydrate.  Do not let this get to you and do not start anti-depressants.  This is a temporary condition.  Concentrate on pain management and rehab...PT and gym...endorphins do wonders in combatting depression.  Get on top of it, wrestle it to the ground and beat the everlovin' crap out of it.

11. Long Recovery...  That "swollen look", popping and clicking sounds, stiffness...all normal.  Ballpark...  All of this should resolve in 12-18 months...or maybe it won't.  Who the hell knows...I'm just thankful that I'm walking again and not in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.  Goal...get back on my skates again.  After 44 years playing hockey, it's been too long.  I'll never play the sport again but just skating would be soooooo great.  Just have to see what happens.

12. Goals...  This is easy.  SHORT TERM (3-4 months): Get off the opioid pain meds; switch to non-addictive pain killers if you need them.  Use the Voltaren Gel.  Go to PT and get your full range of motion back (0 / +120).  Toss your walking aids.  MID-TERM (4-12 months): Rebuild your leg and core strength.  Complete any range of motion therapy/exercises so you are walking normally, especially up and down stairs.  Start adding close-to-normal activities, like walking a mile every day if that was your "thing".  Begin with a lesser distance and increase without any knee swelling.  LONG TERM (12-18 months and beyond): Set realistic goals for leading a fully normal life again...as if the TKR had never happened.  However, there may be activities that you once did and must now avoid.  For me, I can skate but not play competitive hockey ever again.  For others, running may be bad because of impact issues while speed walking might be a good substitute.  There are plenty of on-line resources that list OK, possible and "never again" activities for people with knee and hip replacements.  Your doc will probably have his/her own ideas but this is from The Mayo Clinic: "After you've recovered, you can enjoy a variety of low-impact activities, such as walking, swimming, golfing or biking. But you should avoid higher impact activities — such as jogging, skiing, tennis and sports that involve contact or jumping. Talk to your doctor about your limitations."  I saw one site that listed singles tennis as a no-no but doubles was OK becuse there was less movement and impact.  It's all very individual but the ultimate goal is to lead a healthy, active, productive life again...a far cry from lying in bed in utter pain one week post-op.

Did I miss anything?

43 likes, 339 replies

339 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

AWESOME INFO. You covered EVERYTHING!!!!  You Rock. Thank You so Much, I'm not alone anymore. lol

• Posted

This blog is absolutely THE BEST, for the second time! Everything here needs to be read and reread by potential TKR Candidates. The last time I visited this page was after Nov 2016 when I had my first TKR. I am two weeks out from my Second TKR—and a LOT better off because this time I overrode my own concern about how intolerant I thought I was to opioids for pain. My doctor suggested i give Percocet another try after Dilaudid left me itchy and another pain med—Darvon maybe—dropped my bp. I was in the hospital only one night and on Percocet several times a day for 3 days, with a sleeping med at night. Last time the pain forced me into 2 weeks of Home Health Care. This time my first pt appointment was 4 days post op. I drove myself and walked in slowly without a can or crutch. I am amazed at my recovery so far. I ice, elevate and take maybe 1 or 2 Percocets/day ( before Pt and bedtime) and a sleeping aid at night. I am really trying NOT to overdo, and i work hard at PT 3 times/week. Nerve pain occasionally, but nothing like the nightmare of my last TKR. My two shoulder replacements were a breeze. Same ortho surgeon did them all. As he so wisely says, "Every joint is a different joint, and every joint replacement is a different surgery."  PATIENCE and COMMITTMENT ,y'all, are the two qualities that will help anyone the MOST—and reading/rereading  this blog??

• Posted

Thanks...got 27 more on the site.  You are very much like sooooo many patients who have done both knees.  The vast majority report completely different experiences...on both sides of the coin.  Glad this one is better for you.  I'm 2 years post-op today...still not ready for #2 as I have zero pain right now.  But sooner or later, I'll be joining the Double Knee Club.  Geez...with over 4 1/2 pounds of metal in my knee, hip and spine, that will be another 2+.  We are the TSA's worst nightmare at the airport!!!!!

• Posted

Thank you for this!! I’m 5 months post op. Been doing good except I still CANNOT get 0 degree straightening. My ortho says I’m 6 months ahead.. but not being able to straighten fully is really frustrating. Plus have had a couple setbacks, twisting turning my bike around, twisted when I stepped in a hole, slipped and twisted on a rock and lastly but not least, getting something out of the boat and the seat slipped out from under me and OUCH.... I’m able to stand longer and walk longer distances but now I’m in so much pain I had to take a norco (haven’t had one since 3 months post op) ... there’s a spot in my knee cap thats just a tad smaller in diameter then a dime, and now inside of knee just down the leg that is killing and a spot right above my ankle on the inside leg that I’m wanting to cut off ... I did do a TON of walking the past 2 days, but I’m seriously at the point of cradling and crying... I don’t regret the tkr at all, but this is absolutely horrible 😪 

• Posted

Wow wow wow!

For someone that's now 2 weeks post off I'm so glad I found such a brilliantly wrote piece and answer questions I've already got and help for future ones I may have.

Laying in bed sat upright and having trouble sleeping this was the best night's read 👍

• Posted

Well, now I'm coming up on 2 1/2 years post-op with unfinished business.  The TKR was a horror show the first 30 days...and just like everyone else, I was totally unprepared for that level of pain.  Five weeks in, I got a case of sciatica that my chiropractor eliminated but 8 months post-op, I ended up with bilateral foraminal stenosis at L2/L3.  This put an end to my rehab work as I could barely walk.  

Had an LLIF fusion at one year post-TKR and that still put off my full rehab.  However, my muscle memory from 45 years of hockey enabled me to climb stairs two at a time two months later in spine rehab.  Doc's orders not to resume the knee rehab exercises as that would only aggravate the back.

A few months later, I started getting more lower back pain resulting in a decompressive laminectomy this past January.  Still not recovered from that so I STILL haven't finished all the muscle rebuilding from the TKR.  It's annoying...it's frustrating.  Will be working with a special PT starting in a few weeks.  Once the back pain is gone, I will be completing the knee rehab.  However...

My ROM is 0 / +133, both knees look the same, there is no pain or swelling and the clunking sounds are pretty much gone.  Kneeling on a hard surface is still a challenge because those nerves that were severed in the op may just never return to normal.  I can walk fine, have decent balance and stairs...without holding on to anything...are not an issue.  You can say that the op was a complete success except that I just need to regain all my original strength.  Hockey took its toll.  Metal knee, metal hip, two spine fusions, two spine laminectomies.  Still...would never trade one minute of ice time.  Just wish I could be playing right now in an over-70 league...

If you liked this one, I've got 29 more out there.  Click on my name and then "See All Discussions".  Lots of topics for mind, body and soul.

• Posted

Thank you, this was a very inciteful post. Though I only had a patella femoral joint replacement 3 weeks ago I have been living with pain & discomfit since. Everything you said basically still applies to me with my surgery, I've been told it's as bad as having had the whole knee done. I did manage to go for a walk one day but right now it's raining again (I'm in Australia), but very much need to get back out there and soak up those rays, if they ever come back, lol. Fortunately I was able to stop the opiods (Endone) after just 2 days, I was sick of feeling sick all the time so just declined them and now only take paracetamol but heaven help me when the dose runs out. Nonetheless, again a big thanks for this information...Cheers

• Posted

Click on my name and then "See All Discussions".  I've got 30 out there covering a whole range of TKR topics (ignore the spine ones) that you might find helpful.

• Posted

I really wish I had read this just after my TKR, it's everything I needed to know & everything I'm going through. Thanks for taking the time out to help others, this really helps.

• Posted

I know this post is old, but I am so grateful I found it. Thank you for this absolutely honest post. You've nailed it!! Now I know I am not alone. I am 10 weeks post op and still have a LOT of stiffness, which is very frustrating and frightening. I am so petrified I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life. I have spent many days and nights crying and have felt so alone. I don't have knee pain, just discomfort from the swelling and stiffness. I work very hard on my PT. I am seeing a PT therapist, and do my own exercised 2 to 3 times a day at home. This week's session she started working on strength, and had me doing squats and lunges etc. I thought I was a superhero, pushing hard..... until that night. The pain for the next 3 days was unbearable, and pushed me over the depression edge. I felt like I did when I woke up after surgery. I couldn't move! I'm OK now, thank heavens.

I knew this was going to be a long hard journey but I honestly had no idea just how hard, and that I would feel so alone.

I am supposed to have my other knee done too. Will I? Not a chance. I'll never put myself through this again. My surgeon assures me I'll sing a different sont in 6 to 12 months!!

• Posted

hi Colleen!

i am just about a year out from having both knees donei surfed all these posts looking for info and it does help to know others are going through the same things you are

i had both done at once and really thought that was best as i couldn't imagine doing that rehab a second time but now at this stage, i can say that i would choose to do it again if i had to

you are in the hardest stage - by now you expected to feel much better than you do . The beginning was supposed to be tough so it was expected . I found that i worried so much about how it was healing and why i still felt so sore and stiff that it occupied way too much of my time! It really does get much better as time goes on one day you'll realize that the tight band around you knee is almost gone or that the tendon that was bothering you so much feels almost normal!

If you need to chat with someone, let me know . there should be a club or support group for us TKR patients!!

• Posted

Swelling happens when you push the knee too far any given day. "Don't do dat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator III - Rise of the Machines.

Stiffness can last 12-18 months. You barely notice it at one year and it may linger a while after that. It goes away very, very slowly...imperceptibly. The key is keeping the knee active now and always...even years later. Do nothing and the stiffness will return. "Trust me." - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator II - Judgment Day

#2? No problem. Once you get past this one, you're ready for anything. Everyone swears that they would never do it again and after a year once they are fully recovered, they sing a different tune. My #2 is not problematic right now but before I get another TKR, I will have the COOLIEF procedure done. FDA-approved, 15-minute Radio Frequency Ablation procedure done under anesthesia. Excellent pain relief results for osteoarthritis of knees, hips, etc. Check their website for full details and the location of a certified doc near you. I'm beyond cortisone and Synvisc so this will be my choice before a second TKR.

• Posted

i had my knee done in 2017 I rarely think about it now . When I had mine done I became fixated on getting my knee to bend 120 degree. Id walk out of my pt in tears because i was only at 90 . My dr, who had knee replacement himself, looked me straight in the eye and said quit worrying, do your exercises and it will come . Well it did and other than a little stiffness its all good . He told me that it would never feel like a normal knee but it will work . Let time pass and you'll find that you'll forget you have a new knee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.