NO SYMPTOMS

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagnosed with paroxysmal AF in Jan 2025 and put on Warfarin 3mg daily. Heart scan normal. No underlying causes. I've had 2 ECGs since then, both normal. Years ago when I had bad palpitations I was given propranolol to take as and when required, which worked. I am not on any other prescribed med for AF but on the odd occasion when I feel palpitations I take propranolol and it seems to do the trick.

I've read on this forum some truly awful experiences with AF and I can't identify with it. My INR is stable at 2.5 and last visit to the nurse she suggested I discuss with my GP as whenever she takes my pulse it is steady.

Just wondering if I actually have AF or just occasional palpitations. I would appreciate to hear from anyone similar to me?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh I must add that I get daily heart flutters, but usually a good cough, stops them from putting my heart out or rhythm! Just part of life now. Oh and I am in the UKĀ 
  • Posted

Hi Christine,

Yes you can have paroxysmal AF and have no symptoms, known as being asymptomatic .... thats me by the way, and i have it written up by my Cardiologist ! Its a dodgy place to be if you aren't properly anticoagulated. Yes, I'm on Warfarin too - average of 5.5 mg per day, pretty steady INR between 2.3 and 2.7 and on about 70 day tests. I do have my own device to take my INR so as a precaution I test more frequently. I also had about 2 years of massive palpitations before AF hit and was diagnosed with pAF.

No other issues with my heart other than a damaged left Atria from the onset of AF which can be the source of the clot which could lead to a stroke.

I control things by a combination of meds and diet - I found, when I could feel AF , that it was triggered by food. I consulted a Nutritionist who advised me the direction to go forward,i.e. diet. I've been doing this for some 6 years now and AF has lessened each year and now my last known, recorded AF event was April 2015.

Hope this helps,

John

• Posted

Well done John, sounds like you're really in control of it which is great. I resented being on warfarin in the beginning because I had to be mindful of what, and how much, I was drinking/eating. I've accepted that I'm on it for life so I've adapted accordingly. I'm apparently young to have this condition - 55? UK (Scotland) by the way!

• Posted

Like you, christinem but without palpitations. I have no symptoms but did have AFib from January to April 2.  And on warfarin. This is a weird afflication. I take frequent EKGs and now have brief severe arrythmias that end after a few minutes in bed. I can only say, "what the hell is going on?" and don't hope for an answer from my Dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.