Wrist very stiff 3months after surgery

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi,

Wanted to please hear from others who have had a distal radius fracture and surgery with a plate inserted.

Three months ago i fell and shattered my wrist.

Had surgery on the 8/7/2016 and 2 weeks later cast came off and about 10 days later started therapy.

However, my therapist told me that my hand isn't good..can hardly bend my wrist up or down or twist it. It's very stiff. My fingers still hurt but I can make a fist now.

What I noticed also 3 weeks ago is that my elbow is becoming stiff again ..not to mention my shoulder..also limited movement. I told my therapist and when he touches the area around my shoulder it's is so painful.

Has anyone experienced this also?

How much therapy did you do also at home for those that had stiffness and now their hand is relatively ok?

Has anyone gone to an orthopedic doctor for a second advice following their surgery (besides the surgeon who performed the surgery)?

Thanks

3 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I know this post is old.  I've had the same fracture and procedure done. According to my Dr, it's going to take at least a year, to be somewhat normal again. My PT, disagrees. I might not have full range of motion ever again. It's all in the therapy and stretching. You have to work the whole area that is stiff and sore. 

• Posted

Well, I am now 6 months post-open and am able to make a fist although I still have to help it along sometimes. Still have mild wrist discomfort, more like a wrist headache vs real pain. Extension is about 40 degrees...don't expect much more than that. Pronation and supination are great now. Also developed frozen shoulder which resulted in a 50% rotator cuff tear. To make things even more interesting 😨, tripped over an extension cord and while trying to protect my wrist, I jammed my shoulder. Doc thinks it is now a complete tear. Scheduled for MRI and anticipating surgery. Still attending therapy 3x/week. Who would have Thought! 🤔

• Posted

Hi! I too ended up with shoulder issues but I think no tear, it’s almost healed now at 5 mo post op. How did you get your supination back? Mines at maybe 80% of the norm rolleyes Lol I would love that other 20% haha Thanks for your post and I hope your shoulder feels better soon 🙏🏻

• Posted

Oh no! When it rains it pours? Saw my consultant yesterday who says I now have CRPS type 1. Then saw pt after who said she suspected this when she saw me last week but did nt "want to panic me" and which was why she changed exercises! Seeing senior pt in couple of days to 'try some different things'. Presently doing de-sensitising excercises - which all feels a bit silly?! She says the earlier its diagnosed the more chance I have of recovery so fingers crossed (if only I could!)

• Posted

There is indeed hope, it has gotten better for me and mine was a comminuted facture (pieces) but I'll tell you I'd rather it didn't happen and I'm sick to death hearing how lucky I was, like living is so freaking great!  Take heart you will improve!  I'm 5 months in and still stiff, sore, lack of motion but improving.  Best wishes...George

• Posted

smile thank you for posting your update. I’m right there with ya at 5 months post op too. Starting to feel a little normal right? smile I never thought it’d feel decent again lol. Are you doing any specific stretches or using any equipment?  Thanks again! 
    • Posted

I'm lifting weights again but must admit after today's session I'm quite sore, perhaps it isn't a good idea?  I've a ways to go and may never get to 100% because of my age plus my fracture was in pieces (collision with a truck while on my motorcycle), we shall see.  Best wishes to you on your recovery!

• Posted

Hi there guys,I found this thread and hope that everyone has improved  since their last post.

I broke my wrist (Distal radius comminuted intra-articular) late September in a motorcycle accident, and after a couple of weeks had to have it plated. I've been out of the cast now for two weeks and had my first physiotherapy appointment a few days ago. I know it's early days and it could take months as many of you have found out  but I was quite concerned about how stiff my wrist felt (very little range of motion) and how tight and painful it was - like having really tight rubber band around it.  My physiotherapist was unable to get  much more movement passively than I was able to show actively and I had symptoms of nerve damage  as well as some swelling in my wrist, hand and fingers. In addition to continuing the exercises I had been doing  since I was in a cast (The big six) he has suggested heat and massage, and a few exercises to concentrate on wrist mobility. I massage the whole forearm but concentrate on  the fatty pad at the bottom of my thumb,  my wrist (to ease the carpal tunnel), along my scar and the plate, and along all the sensitive areas where I get nerve pain.  It has been just  three days  but what a difference! There isn't a huge  change in the mobility of the wrist  but the wrist tightness has decreased markedly (now discomfort rather than pain)  as has the swelling. I also find it a bit easier to do the hand exercises and hope that in a few more days  I will begin to see differences in the wrist mobility.

As for the shoulder pain and lack of mobility, he gave me some simple exercises to do with a yellow exercise band.  I had actually found these on the Internet and was doing them without any resistance which helped. I do them now with the slight resistance of the yellow band and can move my arm  ever slightly more freely. The two more effective ones are done holding the arm bent at a right angle at the elbow and snugly against  the rib cage. Move the forearm from its starting position in front of you outwards as far as is comfortable and hold for a few seconds before returning to the starting position.  In the other exercise over the forearm across the body.

I hope that  the exercises/massage therapy that I outlined in this post might help others as much as they have helped me in the last few days. I was feeling quite desperate before... what a difference  good physiotherapy advice can make  biggrin  

• Posted

Hi

Well it is almost 3months since my accident and surgery with plate and pins, making progress however I have very little strength in my hand and still can't make a full fist. I'm getting anxious again about this and I'm trying to use my arm/hand,though can't hold a folk or knife properly still. If anyone can offer advice or reassurance that this will improve. Thank you -feeling terribly anxious x

• Posted

Hi Monica

Keep at it.  I still can't eat with knife and fork and mainly have to use my left (uninjured) hand to get food into my mouth (my accident in late Sept, surgery in mid Oct).  I try daily to use my right hand and it is very difficult to avoid throwing it down my front or becoming a contortionist for each mouthful, but it is slowly improving.  Previously I didn't even have the strength to hold the spoon or fork, far less get it into my mouth...I can now spread soft butter using my right hand (a bit clumsily) and get a half full mug of tea to my mouth (with ease), neither of which I could do a couple of weeks ago.

At my last physio my therapist suggested I try to apply as hard pressure as I can bear to the sore points in my forearm and hand (which I noted when I was massaging it - see my first post) focusing mainly on where the muscle enters the joint near the elbow.  I hold this pressure until it no longer feels as painful (about a count of 60 or so).  the first time I tried this I immediately felt my wrist tightness start to ease - which is what the acupressure was meant to do.  The less tight wrist resulted in me being able to do my flexing exercises more easily.  It might be something you want to try?

It is a slow process but don't lose heart.  I hope the new year brings you fresh hope and motivation...and the results you are working for.

• Posted

Hi Deborah

My operation was 1st October and initially had 6wks of doing nothing, so yes there is improvement. I'll give that a go with forearm as top of forearm does ache and often use hot water bottle to ease a little. Just the lack of strength is concerning me. You seem to be getting there, it is a slow process and never thought it would take as long or how much you use your wrist. Here's to a better 2018x

• Posted

Hi Monica

Don't worry about the lack of strength, it  too will gradually return.  I can't make a full fist yet either but I'm so much closer to doing so than I was a few weeks ago...and I personally think that releasing the pressure on my wrist by massaging the back of my hand (which felt really tight) and acupressure on my forearm has helped me to close the fist a bit more.  Just keep using your hand as much as you can without pain (discomfort is OK) and you'll be surprised when you look back in mid January at how much has changed biggrin.  Last week and a bit I couldn't press the buttons on the TV remote, but now I can...might have something to do with how much TV I've been watching over Christmas cheesygrin.  I still can't press the on/off button on my phone but one day when I try I know I'll have a hurray moment!

As my friends keep reminding me...think of that poor snail making its way up the garden path, and just keep going...

xxD

• Posted

Hi everyone 

Found this post while searching for some guidance and help with regards to my fractured wrist. Accident on 22:10.17 op on 3/11/17 plate and 3 screws  now on my 11 week post op and although there is some improvement , although slight I'm still unable to flex my wrist or turn hand over completely. I have a lump at base of my thumb which is very painful. My fingers are still very tight and feel like I just want someone to break them and reset them ! Is this normal? I'm at my wits end and very low as all dr says is it's time thing and due to the nature of my break is to be expected!  Due to being unable to work I'm trying to survive off ssp which is impossible, does anyone know of other benifits that may be available? 

I'm applying heat on my wrist and doing all exercises and massage my hand daily but if anyone has any more help or advice I would be so grateful. Beginning to despair now 😞

• Posted

Hi Penny, 

Really sorry to hear about your woes. I'm afraid  can't help on the benefits side but I wish you luck with that.

Your doctor is right that you need to be patient and keep doing your exercises.  My fingers felt like yours for months but slowly, slowly they have started to feel more normal.  I found that massaging the entire length of my forearm through to finger tips helped and a couple of weeks ago I started using acupressure on the sore points - including the base of my thumb.  It does make a difference, along with everything else you're doing to recover.

Try to stay positive, and best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice I will try that. I have worked all my life and unfortunately for the last 11 months I was working through an agency and so now only entitled to ssp! 

The whole episode of the accident has got me down and i have always been a happy positive person. 

Did your fingers ache too ? 

• Posted

Hi Penny

Yeah, they did ache a fair bit but that is also a lot better as the tightness and feeling of heaviness has improved.

It's only natural to go through periods of feeling low and anxious about your recovery; and money worries sure won't help.  But you have the experiences of others to help reassure you on the journey back to health.  Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.