Cartiva - Has anyone had it?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I'm looking looking at looking at getting looking at getting this. Anyone with experience here?

4 likes, 836 replies

836 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had a cart cartiva implant to my right foot 14 months ago. I had a few hiccups at first as I ended up with too much scar tissue forming internally which limited my range of movement, and so had to have a further procedure about two months after the first to free that up (got it cracked and crunched under anaesthetic!) but even considering that I'd highly recommend it. I am now pretty much pain free and have better range of movement than previously. I live in the U.K.  

First couple of weeks my foot was raised, after that stitches came out. I had to wear a heel walking boot for four weeks and after that I could wear normal shoes, though my foot was still quite swollen. I'd say it would swell at the end of the day for the first few months or so, but less and less over time. At first it did still ache quite a bit, though not anywhere near as horrid as the arthritis pain, but over the months it had lessened so much that now I genuinely don't notice it at all. 

• Posted

Congrats on the successful surgery, and thanks for the feedback. Can I ask how old you are? Thanks :-)
    • Posted

I'm 49 - 48 when I had the surgery. Back to hiking, horse riding, wearing heels. Everything I did before it got too painful. 

• Posted

Thanks for the info :-)

One last question: Do you ever feel pain?

For example, a subtle twinge here and there on the odd occasion, such as once a week, or every 2-3 weeks, etc? Or has it been 100% pain free for the past few months?  

Thanks again. 

• Posted

I don't think I could say there's any part of me at my age that's 100% pain free!! But no, it doesn't twinge. It's as pain free as I could hope for. 

• Posted

Hi I am reading about your recovery with  interest as I am starting my third week post card to Eva and just got the boot today. Wondering if you had bone spur removal and or osteotomy as well? I had both of those procedures. It appears that the osteotomy adds more space for the cartiva and straightens the toe some.  But it does require pins and longer recovery.  Would love to hear.  
    • Posted

I had bone spurs removed and tidied up but nothing needed to be shortened. My toe is as straight as the one on the other foot so I'm happy! If I can figure out how I'll post a picture! 

• Posted

In all honesty no - I don't get any pain in it. 

• Posted

That is very encouraging. Thanks for the info :-)
  • Posted

This message is for anyone who's had the cartiva surgery.

Since my hallux rigidus has flared up worse the last few months, I've basically given up long walks and running. Also gave up doing jumping jacks, jumping rope, push-ups, burpees and all the exercises I used to do to stay in shape because they all put a lot of pressure on the big toe.

tIs it reasonable (at 49 years old) to expect to be able to do these activities again after the cartiva surgery?

• Posted

I can. I'm 49 also and had the surgery  in June of last year. I can do pretty much everything I could before the arthritis got too painful. It takes a good few months to get there completely- or it did for me - but I'm all good again. 

• Posted

Very glad to hear that. It seems like most of the feedback I've heard here regarding recovery from Cartiva is encouraging. Once you give up doing certain activities due to an injury, there's always the concern of not being able to do it again.

• Posted

True. I have to confess though - I have no idea what a 'burpee' is, so I've no idea whether I'd be able to someone or not - either before or after the surgery!! Good luck if you decide to go for it. 

• Posted

There is a Facebook group also if you want to join it. 
    • Posted

A burpee rep starts on your feet, then going to the ground to a pushup, then jumping to your feet and off the ground, then go back to the ground for another pushup, jump up again, and repeat until you can't breathe anymore haha. I can't say I miss doing them, but it's good for getting/staying in shape.

• Posted

Thanks. Hallux rigidus support group? I don't see a Cartiva group

• Posted

Cartiva implant patients. Private group. Ask to join and the guy will admit you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.