Enbrel side effects and does it work?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Happy almost new year.

I am inquiring if anyone here has taken Enbrel.

If so, how soon did you see positive benefits and if you don't see any in a month is that a bad sign?

Side effect? Did anyone get nauseous? And did their urine get more yellow ( that was awkward to ask rolleyes ))

Thanks.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been taking Enbrel for a few months now and it didn't do much. Dr. added a small dose of MTX which helps the Enbrel. I think I am seeing improvements, only one flare in 2 months! I do not have any side effects from Enbrel but I hate! taking the shots. I have a prefilled syringe.

• Posted

How long does your flares last.

Seems like when mine start they don't stop they do worsen. So she gave me prednisone again and the pain has come down.

I was off the prednisone for a month while taken the Enbrel and the flare came on.

• Posted

Mine last about 3 days. The way my doctor does it is give me pain pills and when I get a flare I have prednisone to take during the flares only. You should read up on prednisone. If you take it every day and then suddenly stop you will go into pain because your body automatically makes pain killer. When you take prednisone all the time for (I think) about 2 months, your body stops making the pain killer and you will be in a LOT of pain. That is according to numerous comments on this forum and research that I have done. I don't take prednisone all the time, just during the flare to bring the pain down. I will try to find the article that explains it or maybe someone with experience will jump in.

• Posted

Hi there,

I just started my enbrel 3 weeks ago.

My doctor told me it takes about 3 months to actually kick in, but in the mean time I still need to take methotrexate, prednisone, and leucovorine (sp?).

I recently got rashes on my leg where I got and had my previous injections. My doctor said it happens and just to take Zyrtec for the itchyness. But it's more sore around the injection site. So idk. We will see when I go to my next appointment.

As for my urine, it's not crazy yellow. But I'm sure with anything, drinking lots of water does help?

But that's all the info I have as of now. Hopefully enbrel will help.

Good luck and have a happy new year!

• Posted

I when taken 4 injections so far.

Just re started the prednisone cause I was in the beginning of a flare before I started the Enbrel that only worsened.

I initially tried plaquinel and that didn't work.

She said she would switch to humara if this doesn't work at 3 months.

• Posted

Yeah I still have some flare ups.. not really in my hands anymore, most in my toes still.
    • Posted

Mine can goes for wks. And need prednisone to stop it.

Has that ever happen to u

• Posted

My doctor has me on methotrexate, prednisone, and leucovorine still along with my enbrel.

But my prednisone is only 10mg because he didn't want me to stay on it for a long period of time. But it does help a little but at the same time not really. But definitely if I wasn't taking prednisone, I think I would feel it more.

• Posted

Same here. She really doesn't want me more than 10mg.

Neither do I. It's so hard to stop. Withdrawal symptoms. They even say u can get achier when trying to come off.

Plus at 20mg. I started to have side effects. With shaking and bruising.

• Posted

Oh yes that's what my doc told me too about trying to get off of it.

But that crazy that with a higher dosage, that can happen.

• Posted

Does everyone take oral steroids or like me do you get injections of Depomedrone I think it's called never had oral steroids

Prescribed

• Posted

I used enbrel for 6+ years. A month is a short time unless you were already using this type drug along with methotrexate or plaquinil. Prednisone avoid long term. Currently I am at 15 mg a day for past 18 months. If you have been extrabated a while it may take 3 months for your joints to feel better. And yea you'll p*ss yellow. And it might have a foul odor. I puke about twice a week any way..... 

• Posted

I get nauseous. You r throwing up?

Why do u keep taking it then?

Also u said don't take prednisone long term but ur taking it 18months?

• Posted

I now take orencia and arava. 17 years of these meds. Remicaide, humira, embrel.... And the prednisone. 4 years ago Steroidal induced type 2 diabetes from prednisone. A little here a little there.... Prednisone is easy to fall back on when u go weeks in pain and unable to really function. I'm 55 now... Diagnosed at 38. Both knees replaced, both elbows joint surgeries .... Still I believe the meds have slow the progression of RA. Good luck to you.

• Posted

I have just recovered from a violent reaction to retuximab laid up for 4 months in bed unable to stand I was glad of the steroid

injection I probably would have had the injection even if they advised it would kill me I was in that much pain.

I have just read the spoons theory by Christine Miserandino

When you can't explain how your deciese makes you feel and

how you cope it's very apt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.