Advice please from RA patients

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi there, I had my RA confirmed just last week. At the same appointment I was given a steroid injection to help ease my current debilitating symptoms. Three days later and I find my symptoms have improved but not completely disappeared, yet. I was given information leaflets on Sulphasalazine and Methotrexate. When I return in 3 weeks I will be started on which ever one I decide on.

I have been off work now for 7 weeks and am due to return next week. However, I find although I am desperate to get back to work and normality, I am worried that my symptoms will return and I would then have to go off on sick again which would count as another sick episode, something which HR don't take kindly to.

I am a nurse and work 12 and a half hour night shifts. Prior to this period of sick leave I was finding that half way through the shift my hands became inflamed and sore. .....this would lead to poor sleep the next day and then struggling (badly ) through the next nights shift. Got to the point I had to go off sick and now understand I have been having a bad flare. My bloods showed RF and CCP positive.

My question is, will the steroid injection keep me symptom free till I get started on the meds?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for listening!

0 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The steroid injection will only work for so long to help with your discomfort now.my first one lasted a month.

It also takes about 12 weeks for the DMARDS to kick in.

There is no easy fix I'm afraid

• Posted

Thank you France for replying .........I think I was hoping for a quick fix! After some extensive reading this morning I realise that's not going to be the case 👎

• Posted

It depends - pred injections last different times for different people.

Are you in the UK? RA comes under disability discrimination law so I suggest you talk to Occy Health who will help you with advice and making reasonable adjustments if you return to work in the meantime. Perhaps a staged return would help - and if it doesn't work then you shouldn't get accused of having a second sick episode. And get the union onside.

As Frances says, it isn't even possible to say the DMARD you choose will work quickly - methotrexate can take up to 6 months for example. And some people don't respond as well as others. Maybe they will give you oral steroids to cover the interim.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Eileen, much appreciated. Phased return to work and reasonable adjustments aren't really possible in the busy ward I work in.......that's why I'm nervous of going back. I feel that I may be just coming out of this particular aggressive flair i've been experiencing for 3 and half months now! I do feel an improvement since the Kenalog injection , but I'm terrified of the extreme pain returning.

I think I'll phone my boss in the morning to see what she suggests. I'm only just beginning to realise that until I get things under control with the meds, there may well be further periods of sick leave 😓

• Posted

I appreciate the length of shifts can possibly not be altered - but maybe the gap between each shift can. If you aren't well enough to work you will be no use to them or to yourself - and the NHS is hard work and it is hard to adjust. Know all about that - worked there, was married to it and both daughters and sons in law work there!

• Posted

Hi I'm so glad to read you are on predisone to help. I was diagnosed with RA two years ago and my doctors are allowing me to just work with predisone between 7-10mg and it allows me to keep my RA under control, though I'm scared it's not stopping the RA progressing and so many people say that steroids are not good long term . The big but is they suit me and I can work and live life and be mostly pain free.

• Posted

Did you mean your response for me? I don't have RA - and mercifully PMR doesn't damage joints so the DMARD bit isn't as important. What we do have is numerous rheumies desperate for us to take methotrexate as a "steroid sparer" - even though the evidence is very mixed and far from convincing.

They are terrified of pred - but if a low dose works and gives us our life back when nothing else does, I don't understand their arguments. They are all horrible drugs!

• Posted

Your right Eileen about the NHS being hard work. .......that's exactly why I'm worried about going back. I hadn't thought about asking for split shifts......I will ask about that tomorrow when I speak to the boss, I think that would defo be better than working 3 shifts in a row !

Thank you!

• Posted

Orthopaedic, surgical ward.......mostly knee and hip replacements. ......ironic huh? Lol!
    • Posted

Haha! There is a lady with GCA and now ankylosing spondylitis who has been working that sector with ongoing symptoms. Wonder if I can get you together - if you are interested that is. She is in Kent I think.
    • Posted

Giant cell arteritis - a vasculitis which is (at least) closely related to polymyalgia rheumatica (if not the same thing, just different degrees). She was first told it was PMR but the dx was changed to ankylosing spondylits, an inflammatory arthritis affecting mainly the spine which can in the earlier stages appear very like PMR. The effect overall can be very like RA  - I thought maybe she might have some suggestions that would help since you both work in orthopaedics and she has carried on working most of the time despite the problems.
  • Posted

I was diagonised in mar 16. Doc put me on Methrotrexate right away . For six months I still feel pain until doc increase the dosage and added 5mg of steroid daily . Then everything kicked in. My symptoms improved . Now I'm only on MTX. You can't take steroid for a long term. Stay positive while you are waiting for the meds to kick in.

• Posted

Er - you CAN take pred longterm, I've been on it for 8 years without any problems at all overall. The autoimmune disorder I have only responds to pred, there is no choice. Some rheumys don't like it - but beggars can't be choosers!

• Posted

I am on steroids for life and have been sinice 2012.I have other health problems too.I take 2 DMARDS aswell.unfortunately biologics didn't work for me and am still struggling.

Some people respond better which is great

• Posted

Thanks Sia.....I always tell my patients to stay positive. .....now I need to practice what I preach!
    • Posted

Hi 

thank you imissed understood,but your comments helped x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.