Operated hip looks deformed is this normal?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all, I had my operation 10 days ago and I'm doing pretty well, I'm getting around really well on my crutches etc. 

However my operated hip looks unusually round compared to what it was before and sticks out more than my un operated leg....is this normal? 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mine was over twenty years ago so I do not remember but I think it reasonable with all that went on during surgery that the area around the hip will be swollen.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Keep track of your temp and contact your Dr if it goes up. Swelling is normal but infection is not. Is the bandage showing much seeping? If so just call your Dr. Do not mess with infection it can be fixed early, not later. I don't mean to alarm you but why take chances.

• Posted

Hi, There is no infection from the wound or anything just looks odd lol..
  • Posted

I'm 7 weeks out and my hip is still swollen so I would say that is normal as long as there is not redness and alot of drainage you should be fine. Good luck with your recovery. Do you have home therapy or a nurse to look at it for you?

• Posted

Hiya I think from what I have read so fat its just still swollen.

Thanks 

• Posted

Probably normal post-op swelling. I had both mine replaced in December. 8 days later broke my femur at the point of prosthesis entry. I had to have that hip revised and the leg repaired. I went to rehab after where they weighed me on day one. Two weeks later they were concerned because I had lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks. It was primarily because a great deal of the swelling had gone down but even then it wasn't all of it. Give it sometime. My hips do look a little different from what I was used to, the others had been bone on bones. It should return to a more normal appearance in time. Good luck on your journey. I can honestly say that even though mine took a slight detour, the road I'm traveling now feels so much better and I have so much more of my life back that it was so very worth it.

• Posted

OMG sounds like you have been through so much..I can already feel the benefits of the op even after just 10 days...
  • Posted

YES it is normal. Mine was that way too. It takes a while but it will go back to normal : )
  • Posted

LC. I believe I noticed a little difference immediately postop. 16 months later I feel a little difference. Being a 53-year-old male I haven't paid much attention to it. You'll get better insight here but I doubt it's going to ever appear or feel exactly the same as an original hip and I'm hoping that the difference in your situation minimizes over time, best of luck.

• Posted

Hiya, I think I'm just worrying about nothing sounds quite normal thank goodness lol

• Posted

Hello! I'm almost 7 weeks post op and mine still looks a bit deformed. I can't wear jeans because both sides look different.

10 days is SO early. I was still very, very swollen at 10 days. So totally normal I can't even begin to tell you. I called mine my "Kim Kardashian thigh". It's not so Kim K now, just still "different" to the other one.

I was told to do lots of ice packs. I was anterior approach and the incision are was always fine, it was just round the side of the hip that was so huge. It is still warm for me in that area too.

Hang in there. I found the "slowness" of recovery difficult (I'm 41 and thought I'd bounce back in a heartbeat), but it's all perfectly normal apparently.

Sending love!

• Posted

Hi, I had the posterior approach so maybe thats why its still quite swollen? Kim Kardashian thigh lol yeh thats what its like...I have found recovery a lot better than I thought I would...I'm 38 so I knew it would be somewhat easier been young..ish

I have been wearing my jeans but they do look weird 

• Posted

wow, good for you that you are able to already wear your jeans !!!  

remember that your whole body is affected by this surgery ..so yeah, well, weird is can be cute !!!

• Posted

Ok so no ways could I have gone anywhere near jeans at 10 days. Even now, I can get them on but I can't bear the closeness of the fabric on the side of my hip that still hurts, so I'm skirts all the way - and I'm almost 7 weeks now. And of course I still look deformed. Every week I notice a small improvement. You are still so early on in your recovery. I have heard of people "back to normal" in 2 weeks but as my physio said to me "who and where are these people?". It was a good question.

I bet you're doing great. I'm off for my 6 week check this morning and I'm going to post my answers on this site when I get back (odd looking hip, clicking, pain and inflammation around new hip site but not the scar) etc.

Look after yourself! It's lovely to find someone else young too with the THR. Why did you have to have one? (Mine was late discovered dysplasia, cartilage loss and consequent arthritis).

X

• Posted

Back to normal rather begs the question of what was one's normal before the surgery!

At two to three weeks I was certainty doing everything apart from driving my manual car but I was tending to my flock of sheep as regards to carrying out routine medication etc. and inspecting them. I was doing shopping, office work, not using sticks or crutches from a day of getting home.

We are all so different and for someone who was not active in the time before the surgery, who perhaps was not fit, was overweight, smoked and drunk a lot and was not well motivated, then their recovery will be potentially very different to someone else. Age must be another factor too so I would just say take it at whatever pace you feel is right for YOU. It is not a race!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hiya, My hip is looking a lot better every day too I even have skinny jeans on today lol..cheesygrin

Good luck with your check up..I was born with a bad hip and it has just got worse over the years up to the point where my surgeon said I didn't actually have a hip..I have had to have a custom joint made which is quite cool I suppose hehe

Take care x 

• Posted

HI Lady C

Skinny jeans. Well done getting them on. Hope it's not too difficult getting them off. My feet swell a bit during the day so I'm on loose clothing still.

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.