What diet is best for RA

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can I get some info on the Mediterranean diet, or gluten free diet.

Has anyone tried them? And what works best? I don't know which one to try and I'm tired of this pain. Thanks

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have trying to follow gluten free for about 1.5 years. It is hard and expensive as I live in Belize. Plus I love bread, bagels, pasta etc so very hard. But I find when I stick to it and eat mostly meat, veg and fruits with an occassional cheat I feel pretty good and my disease is manageable. Once I go back to eating large amounts of carbs I gain weight and inflamamtion appears.
  • Posted

The thing to remember is, everyone is different.   For some gluten free helps, for others, dairy free and for others meat free and so on.  

I tried every single one of them, then tried them all together:   no meat, no gluten, no dairy, no processed.   Made absolutely no difference.   I also tried the leafy greens diet with celery and cucumber juice clean out - zip.   Also tried turmeric, MSM, fish oil, and a million others ad nauseum - zip.   Don't expect mirracles, I think a large part of these *** free diets is psychological, if you believe it will work, it probably will.   Keep in mind also, while some swear by these diets, there is absolutely no scientific proof that they work.

• Posted

I agree every one is different but if you read about the blood type diet or the paleo diet there are definitely scientific facts in their claims about why certain foods cause inflammation, why you should avoid processed foods and do many other claims. Food is a form of medicine in that what we eat and how we live affects our health.
    • Posted

The blood-type diet is bunkum and has been shown to be so . Sugar is pro-inflammatory - which doesn't mean it causes it but enhances it when it is present. The paleo diet helps because it removes all processed foods - and so a massive amount of sugar and other junk. So does a low carb Mediterranean diet if you want a label. But too much meat is also pro-inflammatory. 

A single study done some years ago showed that for half of RA patients a strict vegan diet improved joint pain considerably - but only for half. It was hypothesised that there may be two forms of RA - they aren't alone in considering that. Reintroduction of any dairy at all led to a return of pain. 

During the study the patients were provided with food packs so it was better controlled in the scientific sense but once patients had to shop for themselves they found it difficult and expensive as well as restrictive. Of course those who valued the freedom from pain enough made the effort and it was a few years ago - vegan products are far more easily available now than they were then.

But being vegan AND gluten-free is pretty hard work. And going gluten-free is only a good idea if you don't frequent the gluten-free section in the supermarkets - because the gluten-free substitute foods are VERY calorie dense and full of sugar. In the same way as when fat is taken out of low fat products they have to compensate for removing gluten or the taste is unacceptable for most people - if you use naturally gluten-free grains to bake yourself then the product is quite different in flavour and texture and for most people an acquired taste.

• Posted

hi deb , ive had RA for over 20yrs and ive had ceoliac disease for 11 yrs ... but so has a lot of my family , eg, aunts ,cousins,... i tend to cook fresh veg ,and eat loads of fruit, etc... but to be honest i dont think that by eating these foods ,has made any difference to stopping any attacks of RA.  ,,but heh not everyone is the same , so it might be different for you .... yes your right , it can be expensive... hope everything turns out for you ... take care x
  • Posted

Hi

I do feel everyone is individual but as soon as I add processed food or sugar even too much fruit the pain is worse. I have done 2 and a half years of no alcohol, no processed food, low sugar , no gluten I've become very boring! But every time I go to my hospital appointment I walk in and I can exercise every day. There are not many that do this. It's so sad to see and I picture this every time I'm offered cake, biscuit or alcohol. It is individual but I do believe long term all this helps. I eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fish and take vitamin D and supplements daily. None are a quick fix. I do hope you can get a balance and be more pain free.

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your info. I wasn't sure about any diet for RA. I'm sure that the sugar I gave up and processed foods will still help me, but it doesn't help my pain at all. So I do agree with most of you that say it probably won't help. My RA Dr. Says it doesn't make a difference for pain but it's a good thing for your body. I guess I will just keep praying that my methotrexate will start to work. I'm on my 6th week of the pills. Thank you all so much.

• Posted

It's hard I know but mtx can take quite a while to kick in - some doctors give steroids to take the sting out in the meantime. 

• Posted

Yes steroids are good but long term use can cause constipation, weight gain and insomnia. I suffer from the constipation and am only on 6mg perday. It makes me have a bowel movement once per week and it is quite painful. So now I take stool softeners at night every night to go three times a week.

Diet is important for overall health, but science is back and forth on almost every food and its value. best advice is fresh veg 5 portion per day, 2 fruits per day, lean chicken as only meat or wild fish of any type and avoid all processed foods as much as possible. Alcohol, I fiind red wine in moderation is great for my cholesterol and does not give me any flaring.

RA is different for everyone so always keep that in mind.

• Posted

Hi Deborah

Hope the MTX will start to work soon for you.   Lot of good answers re. diet are posted here.   Arthritis foundation has a posting on myths regarding diet for arthritis and they have many diets listed that have been helpful to some people.  But we are all so different.   Heart healthy diet is  advised for most people.    I do tolerate small amts of dairy and I limit sugar and carbs as best I can.   I also drink red wine couple

times  a week and seem to tolerate.    I also have Crohns so if one disease isn't bothering me then the other one is sad.     

Good luck in your journey to better health 

• Posted

Thank you for your answer, I will read the article you told me about. I kind of came to the same cob

Conclusion that maybe just a heart healthy choice, and small moderation in the rest. I'm sorry about you having crowns disease also, that must be terrible on you. I hope both of them settle down at the same time so you can have some relief. Thanks again!

• Posted

"doesn't make a difference for pain but it's a good thing for your body."   And therein lies a truth worth remembering.   The trouble with many 'scientific studies is we are rarely told exactly where the evidence comes from and why it is evidence,   In many cases funds for research come from organisations that will benefit from a positive outcome, that being the case we cannot accept their findings as true evidence. 

The mind is singularly the most potent form of medication at our disposal, if you can train, or convince, the mind this is true then you are on the winning team.   Part of that convincing may be convincing yourself a particular diet, medication, additive will help, then most certainly it will.   Faith healers are probably the best example of this, we have all seen faith healers supposedly pulling diseased, bloodied samples from believers bodies.   The samples when examined have proven to be nothing more than pig or chicken parts hidden in the healers hands.   And yet the patient that so believed in the faith healer was miraculously healed.   If your mind can pull this off then you have the best medicine.   There are plenty who have, some on this forum, and for that I applaud them.

Acknowledgement:   Some of the wording used in this post was plucked from the web and modified to better suit my argument..

• Posted

Placebo vs methotrexate and steroids. Try it and let's see how how your RA feels and or progresses

• Posted

Plenty of people with RA and other diseases have refused meds and relied on diet and alternative treatments and got along just fine.   Not for a moment do I think it's because of the diet or alternative treatments though!    Nope, I'm not suggesting that this is an inteligent choice, quite the opposite.   As for myself, I ingest toxins aplenty!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.