Tapering Prednisolone before starting Cimzia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on Prednisolone for RA for 8 months. Was down to 8mg but increased to 15mg 4 weeks ago to reduce inflammation before a hand op, now done and healing. I've been accepted for Cimzia. What level of Prednisolone is 'safe' for starting Cimzia and at what rate can I taper it?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi no idea. Only a rheumatologist will be able to tell the rate u can taper it. It should b used with precaution because it has severe side effects on ur kidneys and lever.
  • Posted

I was on Cimzia for a while, I was also on Prednisone at the same time, doesn't raally matter.   If you want off Prednisone, and who doesn't, pain killers and antiinflammatories is one way, I found it makes it quicker and easier.   I also found Curcumin helped, but eventually my body must have become immune to it as it stopped working after a few months.   One thing I found that really did help a lot was lung cancer.   I had two lobes removed from my right lung, this is supposedly one of the most painful ops you can have so they dose you up pretty good on painkillers for a while.   I took advantage of that whilst in hospital and lowered the prednisone dose quite markedly.   I wouldn't recommend this as a good method though, it has a couple of drawbacks, just small things like losing 60% of my lung.

• Posted

Maybe someone on here can tell you if they have been taking Pred. while on Cimzia.   But it is definitely something you need to discuss with your doctor as pred has to be decreased very slowly and it can be very difficult going .   Good luck with the Cimzia.   I have been on it since May and although no side effects I can't say it has really stopped the pain.  I see the doc in 2 wks and am going to ask if we should start thinking about a different RA med.  I had bad side effects with Humira so maybe this type drug just won't work for me.    I do hope it works well for you.  Biologic drugs are considered top line drugs for RA and many people have had great benefit from them

• Posted

Thanks Gloria.  I'm still on the foothills.  Diagnosed 8 months ago and yet to find any meds that work without damaging other bits of me.  I know about being cautious with Pred reduction. Fingers crossed for Cimzia when I finally get started on it.   I hope it comes through for you. I gather it can take up to 12 weeks to kick in, so maybe it still will.

• Posted

Thanks,   I haven't given up on it as yet esp since I have had no side effects.  Occas low grade fever that goes after a few hrs.   Initially we were going to go with methotrexate and cimzia but then we decided just cimzia 

alone and see how it goes.      I was very anxious re cimzia being started since the humira caused fast heart rate and palpitations.    But many tolerate either one so I hope that is the case for you too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.