Ankle fracture

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello ,I am 30 years old female 10 days ago I twisted me foot and ended with bimalleolar fracture ,I listed for surgery after two days ,Iam really scared  and depressed ,any one  Have this surgery before ?! 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi! I'm a 37 yr old girl and I had bimalleolar surgery almost 7 weeks ago.  This one is a doozy, let me be honest.  Get your house prepared with food. See who will be able to help you in the first week. You'll need assistance with many things. I'll post a good link at the bottom. I've had a lot of free time to investigate. Get good ice packs. I just got an air boot cryo cuff system off eBay I'd recommend for when the cast comes off for icing and also one that wraps around the ankle with Velcro. Also-a cast cover from Amazon for showering. Lifesaver. You might even like a shower chair if you can get your hand shoes in something from a supply store or wherever. You'll need to ice a lot. Plan on spending the 1st week on the couch indefinitely, toes above nose, almost the whole day. You'll know when you need to get that foot up. I had a friend come stay with me for 5 days. I know not everyone can do that though. I was really scared too. If they offer you a block before surgery, take it. I was offered an implanted pain pump also  but I didn't want any extra sites for infection so I passed on it. I needed the 2 norco every 4hrs for about 2 days. Have something for constipation and eat well, drink water, have fruits/veggies. I went home the same day. I had a splint for 2 weeks, at my check up they took it off, and then I had the boot. I had dissolvable sutures so there was no taking them out. I did start to reject them later that week and my incisions got a little angry so I bought some hibiclens at Walgreens and kept it super clean. Elevating also keeps your incision from wanting to open as the swelling can cause so much pressure on those sights.  All the while after I used crutches and knee scooter. I'd recommend the crutches that toe forearms sit in. The regular ones made my arms numb and I used the scooter in tue house because I'm too fast and furious on Un level ground.  Today is day 4 ish after my 6 weeks check up and my bone is healed ahead of schedule and I started PT. I had my 2nd visit today. I was told I could wean off the boot and crutches as tolerated as my bone was healed. My calf was non existence after 2 weeks. Looked weird. Good news is it's already coming back. I quit the crutches same day as appt, got to using the "even up" with the boot alone for a day and a half, and have gone for a walk everyday. ICE ICE ICE. Still I ice. Yesterday I used a stretchy ankle brace from Walgreens (I love that store I guess) for a little support. It's like a little hug ?? PT gave me good exercises I need to get in the habit of doing more. Oh, caffeine and alcohol can slow bone healing FYI. I was really strict the 1st 2 weeks and then still minimal. The first time I walked I think I cried a little. This process is long and you'll need support so please use this forum for all of your needs, it helped me so much I can't even. I am working on not feeling so depressed now as I've had too much time off work and an inability to do a lot without a lot of effort, and it's just a struggle but I'm a healthy person and I'm on the mend really well and give myself props for taking good care of myself. It's a long recovery but you're going to be ok smile keep us posted and 

I wish you well. There are many ther things that pop up along the way and you'll figure it out!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Yes. I had a trimallelor fracture and surgery about 7 1/2 weeks ago.  Do what they say and rest and elevate!  
    • Posted

Thank u for reply and Iam sorry for you injury ,Iam trying to keep positive,hope you will get better soon 
  • Posted

Hi there,

It is scary, I am just 8 weeks post op, 9 1/2 weeks since my break.  Just am 50% weightbearing with crutches. I had a trimalleolar fracture very similar.I ended up having a nerve block that lasted upto 5 days you take home with you.  I liked it I was scared at first with using this, one this was my first break, two pain meds. and anastetics make me sick so they gave me that option.  Good thing is your young and may heel faster.  But do what your doctor says, stay with the pain meds. for the first week to stay ahead of the pain, most of my pain was at night. it is hard to sit still that long a few weeks with elevation and ice.

Get a few things, a adjustable seat for your shower or tub, a riser that goes on the toilet, that was the best thing I used, makes going to the bathroom alot easier and safer.  And a scooter if you can afford it with a basket.  stock up on books and netflix. If you need to chat or more questions seems like everyone on here is very helpful and caring.

Chin up and take care good luck and let us know how your doing, you will have some down days.

sincerely, Dawnette

• Posted

Sorry you went through this ,I scared more😢How many days you stayed at hospital after surgery?pain will go down with this meds?i can sleep well?omg 

• Posted

We have all experienced different things happen. Different recovery difference in pain and each country has different health system. One thing we all have had in common is fear pain depression and constipation from pain meds. Ask for a stool softener when to stop at least one thing that's about the only one you can get control of before it causes too much pain. The other thing we all have in common is the support of people on this site. I would have gone insane. Like dawnette said. Get as prepared as you can. Clothes down where reachable wide leg pants to go over plaster caste a claw reacher  and a Even Up Shoe if you go into a boot. 

• Posted

Sorry if I scared you more, I wish nothing but the best for your recovery.  I was scared and depressed it is hard.  I found this site to late...I was in the hospital 1 night, but alot of people go home the same day.

I was thankful I had family  who took turns coming and to stay with me to help for a few weeks.  I found a lot of people on here talk people out of taking the meds. but you have to do what helps you.  I have a low tolerance on pain, and it wasn't to bad as long as I had my leg up and Ice packs.  It is was at night I had pain issues...My dr. said if it starts to hurt alittle take my pain meds. because there was 1 or 2 times I thought I could tough it out and it hurt like hell and even after i took a pill ,because  I let it go to long.. So you do just what you feel you need...You get to go in for surgery sooner then I did..I had to wait 1 1/2 weeks so I know the depression feeling and being scared...

Good luck and hope to hear from you after your surgery! I will be hoping for the best for you!

• Posted

Hi,

I am 2 years older to you and twisted my ankle while getting off a chair I stood on and had bimalleolar fracture and ligament damage. Had surgery 3 days later. I am now in my 13th week and can walk unaided at home and use 1 crutch when I go out to be safe. I can put weight on my leg but because of the ligament damage the movement is not bad and doing physiotherapy. 

Be positive and patient as it's time consuming but you will get there. I was in bed for 10 days after surgery only moved to go to the washroom. After that I moved around the flat on a knee scooter and done most of the jobs at home like cooking etc. Be prepared to take as much as help when offered as you will need it. 

Good luck and hope you have a full recovery 

• Posted

Hi,

I'm so sorry you're going through This!!!

I am 32 and broke 3 bones in my ankle and dislocated it 5 weeks ago. I had surgery the day after it happened. I am still not weight bearing but hoping Next week I can start.

Hang in there. It is very scary. The mental aspect of it is worse than the physical. But you will get through it. As others have said, take your pain meds on time for the first week or so to stay on top of it. I found the pain got better the beginning of the second week and by the end of the second week was gone. I started physiotherapy at week 3 as well. But a chair for the shower and a removable showerhead will become your best friend. And elevate. As often and as long as you can. And get an ice pack and ice all the time too. It also helps with pain control.

Try and stay positive. It's hard but it gets better. If someone can stay with you to help you that's even better. You will do great!!!

• Posted

Don't be afraid, I had a trimellor break 7 weeks ago, the surgery went very smooth, I was asleep, woke up and it was done.... releif. I went home the same day and the block lasted 18 hours. Just take your pain meds, ice and elevate and you are young and strong you will bounce back sooner then you know.

Good luck.

• Posted

I have ORIF surgery, I assume it is similar to yours.  I read a lot of bad things that scared me but it turned out much better than I expected, not much pain at all, the biggest problem is the mental part of not being allowed to walk (I broke both ankles) and feeling stuck in a wheelchair, not being able to drive, go to work etc.  I am now 7 weeks out and I am back to work, walking in the cam boots which is wierd but better than not walking at all.
  • Posted

HI Malak

I broke my ankle while cutting limbs off the roof 7-17-17. Bimalleolar fracture. I had surgery 7-27-27. I was scared to . They do preop test's as long as those are good. You are scheduled for surgery. The day of Surgery the get you ready. Doctor comes in .

anesthesiologist talks to you . Good to go . They take you to Surgery. Up on table. Next thing you know you are waking up. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days .Usually it is overnight. I got messed up on the pain meds Narco and did not feel I could go home. No pain meds after 3 days . have been taking 325 mg Asprin every night. Per doctor orders to help prevent any blood clots. That freaked me out toof but nurse said as long as I am getting up and down to go to bathroom I will be fine. I have really had no pain since 3 days after surgery on 7-27-17. I have been using a walker, cannot use crutches, I fell off of them. I also bought this thing called a I walk 2.0 it is a hands free crutch. It works for me. The longer you use it the better you get at it . I use it with the walker . I walk around the kitchen fine. On youtube people get really good at walking with it...went for follow up 8-7-17. Got hard fiberglass cast on . Now waiting to go 9-1-17 to get cast off and go into a walking boot . Doc said if all goes well I can start putting weight on my foot. Hang in there . It's a process . You will be okay . This support group is the best thing we are here for each other.

• Posted

Dont be scared. I was and now I feel like I worried more than I needed to. I am 6 weeks into it and was cleared today to start bearing weight on it. Seemed like everything I read said it would take forever to heal. Your goal is to prop it up, ice it, love on it, and rest for as long as possible. I wasn't sure if they would see bone growth after 6 weeks but they did! I know I have to rehab it to be able to walk again but the doctor said things will start moving quickly from here on out so I am hanging onto that. I had days where I just cried. Was just frustrated that I couldn't even get up to grab a glass of water...But that passed. Try to find a walker or wheelchair to help prepare. You'll need plenty of water and healthy snacks. I filled baskets and kept them within arm's reach. I also kept lotion, socks, and lip balm near. Don't allow yourself to get dehydrated. You got this! We're all here to help!

• Posted

Hello all

Thanks for support 

I did the surgery 19 hours ago 

Iam still in recovery room ,having too much pain I couldn't handle ,I was crying all the night ,I took pain meds but still the continues pain ,Iam waiting to see my doctor 

• Posted

Hi honey, sorry to hear you're painful. Have you gotten a block? Do you have your ankle way up in the air? Swelling and inflammation was the most painful part for me and the strange pain sensation was like a hot searing poker I wasn't really ready for. I hope you feel better soon and hang in there, you'll get your pain under control and you will feel better. It's difficult to get the initial increased pain under control but once you do, you can stay on top of it better. You'll get there. 💪🏼

• Posted

Oh No so sorry to hear that sad 

Once you get your pain under control, you just stay on top of it as long as you feel like.  Again some people have lower tolerance to pain then others, So don't feel bad .  You take care and feel better and get lots of rest your first week, they do say the body heels faster when resting.

Any concerns we have all been through them and someone will have a similar situation and be able to

help.

Get your rest and stay on top of that pain.

Sincerely, Dawnette

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.