Advice about Carbamazepine

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello all 

I was diagnosed last Friday and put on Carbamazepine 100 mg 2xs daily. I took it for 3 days then my friend said that it sounds more like a tooth. Went to the dentist nothing wrong with my teeth at all. I had stopped taking the Carbamazepine for one day and when I woke up this am I was in excruciating pain for about 2 minutes straight this is the first time the pain has been like that. I immediately took 200mg of the carbamazepine but I'm scared to move or talk. Oh btw I had been having little shocks here and there for about 8 months to a year but they weren't bad but now it's more and more shocks at one time. How long does it take for the Carbamazepine to take affect? I haven't eaten in 6 days because I'm so scared of another multiple shock to the face. Please any advice would be helpful 

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds so familiar. My pain started after significant dental work : (

I went to the dentist, my PCP, an ENT and finally to a neurologist. After 7 years of on and off pain and on and off strong meds I finally opted for MVD surgery last May. I have had several lingering side effects but the shock pains have been gone since. The surgery isn't easy but so far, for me, it seems like it was a good choice.

There are some excellent TN sites on Face Book that I would highly recommend joining.

Do your homework, you are your own advocate. This is a horrible condition and I wish you luck.

• Posted

Karen, that's just it.  I don't have shock like pains and I didn't have any dental work except a cleaning and fluoride treatment.  That's why I don't think it is TN and something else but I don't know what.  I put dental wax between a couple of teeth on both side so my teeth won't come together at night.  After I get in bed my teeth or anything else doesn't really bother me.  I hate to get up in the morning because as soon as I take the dental wax out and my teeth start touching that's when the pain begins.  I don't feel the neurologists I went to is going to be of any help.  He has me doing a MRI September the 5th.  If it doesn't show anything I as sure he will say there is nothing he can do and send me on my way.  

One of the dentist I went to said he couldn't see anything wrong except I could be grinding my teeth.  I had a night guard made but it is so tight I couldn't wear it.  Thing is I don't have teeth grinding symptoms.  I'll check out facebook.

• Posted

No offense intended but you must NOT listen to advice from friends unless they have TN. The others above are correct when they say you must take the Tegretol every 8 or every 12 hrs depending on how your Dr ordered it. One of the ways a Dr diagnoses TN at first is that the first line drug (Carbamazepine also known as Tegretol) stops or lessens an attack. A MRI may then be ordered. It is imperative that you have lab work done to make sure your Chemistry esp your sodium levels aren't impacted and your CBC/blood count is ok. These should be done every 3-4 months or more often if you experience any increased weakness, headaches, shortness of breath etc. Good luck, do your research and know that you're not alone. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.