Esmya Update

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wanted to update all you lovely ladies. I have taken two courses of Esmya now and my gynaecologist kindly agreed to let me have a scan to see how things were going. I was very pleased to be told that my 8cm fibroid had reduced in size to 5-6cm. I am delighted with this progress and intend to take a third course of Esmya once I have completed my two-month break. Really hope this helps anyone who might be considering taking it.

Best wishes to you all xx

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello sue09467

I'm very happy for you and hope your fibroid continues to shrink!

I too have an 8cm fibroid but at today's appointment was told Esyma could be an option but not looking great that it'll shrink not much as it's big. (same as yours?!). Been offered abdominal hysterectomy too. Have bladder issues and horrible periods. She said I have a 14-16 week pregnancy uterus. Horrid things!

• Posted

Hi sophie38439

So sorry to hear you are struggling with issues caused by a big fibroid too. They certainly are no fun to have! I have gone up a whole dress size and constantly feel bloated which is horrible. Like you I also have heavy periods, and pressure on my bladder/bowel which has eased a bit now the fibroid has shrunk slightly. Esmya pretty much stops my periods while I'm on it which is amazing as it has helped with my iron levels. On my break it goes back to as it was before which I just have to deal with but can't wait to get back on it to be honest. I was also offered surgery but as I am coming up to 52 and guessing I am not too far away from the menopause I opted for Esmya as it will hopefully see me through until then without surgery. Not really suffered any side effects other than a very occasional hot moment, a little tiredness and my hair has fallen out a bit more than usual. 

Have you decided which option you will go for?

Hope you get sorted soon. 

Best wishes xxx

• Posted

hi sue, I'm just coming to the end of my second course of Esmya and your post gives me hope as my first course caused no shrinkage. Wish me luck there has been progress this time, I go for my scan this Friday to see. x

• Posted

Hi Julie

I'm sorry to hear your fibroid didn't shrink after the first course of Esmya. They did advise me not to get a scan until the end of the second course so as to avoid disappointment as it can take a while to work. I really hope you have made some progress this time. Please keep me posted on how you get on. 

Good luck tomorrow. 

Best wishes xx

• Posted

Hi Sue , Just got back from my scan and my 7cm fibroid is now 6cm , I must admit I was hoping for more shrinkage but at least its on the right track so I am now going to take a 3rd course and cancel the upcoming hysterectomy xx
    • Posted

Hi Julie

That's really great news. You are definitely heading in the right direction now. These things can take time but if you carry on with the Esmya for another couple of courses I'm sure you will see some significant progress in shrinking it. It's a good alternative to an operation. 

Goood luck with it all and keep in touch. 

Best wishes  xx

• Posted

Thanks  Sue , Lets hope it works for us both , only 12 days left on my second  course pack and feel pretty crap when not on the tablets. keep me posted of how your doing if thats okay x
  • Posted

Hi 

Thank you for your lovely message. 

I've decided to go to GP next week and get a second opinion now.  I sound exactly like you except I'm 46 next week so more time to cope with it till hitting menopause. My mum was 50 so potentially another 4/5 years!

Be interesting to see what she has to say ....

Will keep you posted. 

• Posted

wouldn't count on the menopause as a solution a woman at work went through the menopause 5 years ago and her fibroids continued to grow and she had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago xx

• Posted

ohhh that is wonderful am currently on it as well the 2nd month and so far i feel a lot lighter and better. hopefully mine too would have shrinked in size. 
    • Posted

Thank you Jay59548. It really is a wonderful drug and such a great alternative to surgery. I really hope yours has shrunk too. Are you experiencing many side effects?

Please keep us updated.

Best wishes xxx

• Posted

but then again is not a long term solution drug that is the problem
  • Posted

i do not have a side effects i only felt a bit tired when i started taking it but now i feel fine still on the second packet. i hope it shrinks it before having the hysterecopy next month 
  • Posted

I’m on my third packet of esmya(3 month dose) and have a scan booked to see if there’s any shrinkage. My largest fibroid is 8-9cm and I have two others at 2 and 3 cm. I’m not sure it’s working as I’m still having two heavy periods a month and it’s givng me a bit of spotting. Did anyone else still have their period and esmya still worked? I’m 37yrs old.

It’s great yours has worked Sue09467

• Posted

am on the 3rd pack but my period is still heavy but i feel a lot lighter and no bloating so i think is shrinking it the useless thing 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.