Bunion op in December

Posted , 24 users are following.

Is anyone else having a bunion op in December? I'm having one tomorrow, I thought it might feel good to share day to day experiences & advice with other people, especially in the lead-up to Christmas. I'm feeling very nervous today!

4 likes, 362 replies

362 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi again all, im 6 weeks post op now, had final check up and xray at hospital this week everything really good scar and toe healing nicely scar is a little red so they put a dressing on it for few days, taking it off tommorow they said if redness worsens or doesn't go away it might need antibiotics as it might well be a skin infection but all is good ive been discharged which is great am so glad ive had it done well worth the pain

Hope to hear from you all soon

Sarah

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for the radio silence recently.

Sarah, keep an eye on the foot and definitely take the antibiotics if offered. My scar is still purpley red, but I think it is more a circulation problem as I still have pitting oedema on my foot and sometimes halfway up by leg.

Tina, I'm also 15 weeks post op. I'm not sure if we had similar procedure. I had the bunion on my left foot removed as well as a couple of neuromas between 2 metatarsals which affected the ball of my foot. I also had bone taken from the heel and grafted onto my big toe. I have a small screw connecting 2 metatarsal and the long screw down the metatarsal of the big toe. I'm still only allowed to weight bear 50% of my weight , but I sometimes try to walk slowly around the house without my crutches. I hope I'm not doing damage. Like you, I still have stiffness on my big toe. It bends better towards me rather than away from me. As far as shoes, I'm still only wearing a pair of trainers !/2 size bigger. Even with the trainers, when I take it off my foot is swollen and like you said, there is no bunion, but my big toe looks like it is leaning towards the next toe, but from the phalanges instead of the old bunion site. My partner assures me that it is normal as his toe also leans in from the phalanges.

Sue, I'm glad to hear that you are getting on well apart from the footwear issues we all seem to have. I think we both had our surgery the same week. I had mine on Friday, 13th of December! Clearly a bad omen.

Polly, I hope that your bunion is okay. Glad to hear you are walking normally and maximising the shoe shopping opportunities.

I can't remember if someone else in this forum had some neuromas removed. The balls of my foot is still sore and feels hard like the neuromas are still there. I try to massage it and soften the scar tissue, but not really progressing. We went out in my car yesterday and I tried to drive the car home from the shops which is only a 5 minute drive, but found the clutch of my car is too stiff. I'm worried the it would dislodge the screws in my foot if I press too hard. Does anyone else still have screws or any metal work in their foot? My consultant told me that he will eventually make a small incision to take them out. Not looking forward to another procedure regardless of how minor!

Like Tina, I feel like it is taking forever to get back to normal. I feel envious every time my partner goes out to golf especially on a nice day like today. I'm off on a golf weekend away with our club next weekend with 24 people excluding my partner and being the organiser, I have all the prizes etc to cart to Tudor Park with me. Tudor Park is about an hour and a half from where I live if the traffic is ok. With my partner is not going so I have to keep trying to drive my car this week to make sure I could get there on my own. I had planned on taking the motorways even though it may be longer as it would mean using my clutch less, but I'm worried about getting to the London traffic on the way back on Sunday. Anyway, we'll see. I'll have to keep busy with spa treatment whilst everyone is playing golf!

Veronica

• Posted

Hi Veronica, good to hear from you - had wondered if you were okay.

I have screws in my feet after the operation and like you, I do find pressing my clutch pedal down very difficult. I drove 4 times last week though the maximum journey was about 20 miles each way. I find that my clutch foot swells more and is more painful than the right one after I have driven. My surgeon will only remove the screws and pins 6 months after the op IF they are causing me problems, otherwise they will stay in for life.

Today I have been "helping" with some outdoor jobs and ambitiously thought I would pressure-wash the patio! It is quite a large area - about 60 feet by 20 feet and I am now back indoors with both feet throbbing and swollen. I get so frustrated as there is so much needing to be done outside and normally I would just get on with it, but I have to pace myself each day. Like you I feel it is taking ages to be "normal" again, and today when my husband asked if I would have had the op if I had realised how long it would really take to recover, I said "no", though actually I suppose I would have!

Shoes continue to be a bit of a nightmare - can wear the ones I bought about 6 weeks ago though they are a size too big and sometimes feel a bit loose depending how swollen my feet are. When I put insoles inside them it made them too tight which was even worse!

Sorry this is sounding like a real moan and groan session, but like many of us on here, I feel as if I should be able to do more than I actually can. Let's hope in a few months time this is all a distant memory.

In the meantime... best wishes to everyone and hope next week we all get on better.

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne,

Thanks for the reassurance. I just got back from driving my car today and my ankle was quite swollen. Interestingly enough, my toes seems to be ok. A little swollen, but only took a minute or two before they were back to almost normal for me. I drove my car to a retail park 5 minutes from home, then drove to my golf club through Richmond Park which took about 30 minutes with lots of gear changes and using the clutch. I met my partner at the club and swapped cars with him. He has a Toyota and the clutch is softer, but still found it hard to drive. I have arranged to catch a lift with someone for next weekend's golf break instead of trying to drive there. I won't be playing, but will try and do some light seated weights in the gym and get some massages. I think driving is going to have to wait for now as I'm worried that I may damage something.

Anyway, I'm glad you managed to get out to do some chores today, but take it easy.

It is so nice to be able to moan to someone else who understands.

Cheers,

Veronica

• Posted

Hi everyone hope u are all recovering well.im 13 weeks post op.still suffering with back problems due to limping.have now been referred to a podiatrist.ive now got another problem.after walking out of the opticians on Saturday in my new spectacles,i fell down some steps and have broken a bone in my foot,the same foot i had my operation on.luckily it was the other side of my foot.i haven't had it put in plaster thank goodness.they just gave me one of those support shoes to wear.i don't seem to be having much luck these days.as you can imagine i am pretty fed up with everything.ive only been back at work 5 weeks and now in going to be off another 4 weeks.i know accidents happen but i seem to be very unlucky.will have to be much more careful in future.
  • Posted

Hi Denise - oh poor you having a fall. Hope you recover soon - it is such a shame it happened.

I am now 14 weeks post op and although last week I was completely pain-free and starting to see a chink of light at the end of this very long tunnel... this week my feet are aching a lot more. I find if I drive too much it starts off the aching and then it takes ages for them to settle again.

Generally I think I am walking better though sometimes I feel I have to make a conscious effort not to limp.

My right foot is definitely not as straight as the left but I suppose I have to accept I am not going to have perfect feet after all! I am due for one more check up on May 13th (tho the Surgeon said I can cancel that appointment if I am happy with progress).... think as things are now I will go as I feel I could do with some reassurance really

Hope you have a sunny spot you can relax in whilst you are resting your foot Denise - take care.

Best wishes to everyone.

• Posted

Oh Denise, poor you! I hope it mends quickly.

I'm on holiday, and am managing really well, walking on the beach and in rough country along coast paths - just the odd ache after a long day, but loads less than before the op with my old bunion. I'm so pleased I had it done.

Wishing you a speedy recovery x

• Posted

Thankyou both for your comments.enjoy your holiday Sue xx
    • Posted

What rotten luck Denise!  Hopefully being in forced relaxation and having to be patient once again now will be easier if you live where it is spring and you can enjoy the sun and warmer weather. Are you allowed to wb at all now?

• Posted

Hi Sue

I had scarf akin osteotomy and mortons neuroma 10 weeks ago and although things have improved somewhat, the sharp nerve pain in various places of my foot and dreadful feeling I'm experiencing where the neuroma was removed is not improving at all and is with me most of the time. I'm still taking anti inflammatory and pain killers with little relief. Did you or anyone else experience this? 

Did you or anyone else reading this experience this kind of thing? 

• Posted

Hi Sue

I had scarf akin osteotomy and mortons neuroma removed 10 wks ago and have dreadful sharp nerve pain constantly despite taking pain killers and anti inflammatory tablets. Is this something you or anyone else reading this experienced?

• Posted

No, constant pain doesn't sound normal to me. Although I did have some sharp pain, it was only occasionally & I'm pretty sure not after 10 weeks. Have they said you can ring them?
    • Posted

I'm pretty sure that I didn't have any constant pain of that kind. Have they said you can contact them for advice? I did have one very bad bout of pain, and I made the mistake of phoning the NHS help number I'd been given instead of the hospital that did it.  It's so near Christmas, I think you should speak to someone as soon as you can. I do hope it improves.
  • Posted

Hi Sue

I had bunion surgery on December 9th the day before my Birthday. I am 55 years old and i have plenty of time to celebrate but i wantd this surgery over with so i could get the healing process in motion. My daughter will be marching in parades and i will be able to walk the routes with her school without worring about having aching feet from the bunion and corn...it had to go. Anyway i am in day 4 post op. I've had the bunion removed as well as a corn removed, ingrown toe nail and a toe shortened to stop the friction on my second toe at the tip of my shoe. I promise you i have not experienced any severe pain. The only discomfort has been from the tightness due to swelling which is normal and a little pressure when first getting up going to the bathroom. In regards to medication, i was prescribed by my Dr. A steriod pack (methylprendnisolone tablets 4mg) which im taking now, oxycodine in which i am not taking because i don't want to sleep i have children, and cipro the antibiotics that i take twice per day. When i began to feel some discomfort i would take 2 advils every 2 to 4 hrs. I keep my feet elevated and would make sure i strap the boots on tight when i go to the bathroom. As i said this is day 4. I've been trying to stay mobil to avoid blood clots. I walked upstairs twice today. Also while lying down i did bike riding leg exercises. Note while walking put the pressure on your heel if need be or toward the side of your foot. Make sure your foot is strapped entirely and that your heel is pressed firmily to the back of the boot. I'm making jokes about the boots...i got them just in time for winter. Anyway Sue, everybody don't have the same reaction to any procedures whatever they may be. Remain optimistic. Don't fill your head with the worst stories in these forums about this type of surgery. Put God first and he will see you through this. It's just a temporary setback for a comeback. I'm well on my way and so are you. Praying for you a speedy recovery...take care. Wishing you and yours a Happy Holiday!!!! You will be fine...hope this help.

• Posted

I had a bunion removed 12/16/16. The operation went smoothly. No pain during the operation. They sent me home with a bandage wrapped foot, surgical foot protector boot, oxycodone, ibuprofen, and crutches. Luckily I will not have to use the crutches. I am using a loaner travelling will chair. 1st day I found out I cannot tolerate oxycodone. I would throw up the pill soon after taking it. I knew this might happen since members of my family cannot tolerate it. I bought liquid medicinal marijuana for the pain. Only side effect is drowsiness. Pain is not to bad it fluctuates depending on the when I have taken the pain killer. The only down side to this operation is how much time you have to stay off your feet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.