My Sertraline Story!!

Posted , 182 users are following.

Hi im a 32 year old female. Im married with 2 children. About 12 weeks ago I started to get awfulanxiety, I was stressing about the least little thing and turning small things into massive over the top things. I started doing breathing exercises and taking herbal remedies, reading books and going onto websites. Nothing seemed to work and about 6 weeks ago I couldn't take the way I felt anymore and felt like I wasn't coping with normal everyday situations like the school run and seeing my friends and even watching a film with my husband. I have never suffered with anything like this before and that in itself is very scary, I felt out of control with my thoughts, I wasn't sleeping or eating.

I went to see my GP who prescribed me 50mg of Sertraline, I was also given 10 days worth of diazepam (2mg). After a few days of deciding if I should take them I went for it, I had the most awful side affects, sickness, diarrhea, headaches, night sweats, shakes. I couldn't even get out of bed for a couple of days. I was having panic attacks and Insomnia.

After a week or so the side affects eased off and I was able to cope again although I was still left with the awful anxiety. After 2 weeks I started to feel 50% better and then into week 3,4,5 I seemed to go downhill with my anxiety again but I stuck with the Sertraline as the doc said it could take 6-8 weeks to see the benefit.

The last few days I've started to feel 90% my old self again. I think this drug seems to take a while to work but i'm glad I've stuck with it as I feel like i'm getting my old life back again. I really hope this is a helpful and positive story if you are just starting out on Sertraline, I know I have a long way to go but I feel with the help of this med I can get my life back on track.

Reading all the positive stories on this forum has helped me a great deal. Im also lucky to have great family and friends I can talk to.

52 likes, 461 replies

461 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've just started on these tablets day 2 , I started having the odd panic attack 4 years ago thought I was going to die! Then they subsided a lot then I started having them again but not really bad I could control them . Then over the last month they got worse and for that last week I was just having constant panic attacks so I went to docs , he put me on 50g I took one yesterday and felt spaced and awful then I read the instructions bit and said for panic disorder start on 25g for the 1st week. So I took half I've been up and down all day had maybe 7 panics, just feel so stressed with it as I'm a football coach and have to deal with parents kids ect... I thought I had got it beat doing exercise and eating healthy then it came on and 1 after another ! I get any pain in my chest arm ect I think I'm having heart problems but I know it's anxiety it's driving me crackers 😩
    • Posted

Sam, I have exactly all the same symptoms as you have noted.

Just wondering if the meds helped you ? I think I need an SSRI

• Posted

This thread has been great.  Suffered from bouts of depression, anxiety and ADHD my whole life.  I'm 35 with 4 kids and a ton on my plate.  After many years of "pulling my boot straps up" and just dealing with the issues I finally felt that there must be an easier way.  Went to the doctor who diagnosed me with bi-polar and ADHD.  Like I said I have anxiety attacks as well.  Looking back I have been severly depressed at times.  I was prescribed 100mg of sertraline.  I am 5 days in starting at 25mg and will raise to 50mg after the first week.  I feel like I have become more depressed and am waking up with anxiety every day.  I have headaches and just a general feeling of anxiety.  It's good to see that it seems to take time and things will get better but man this is tough.  Has anyone felt the same regarding getting worse after taking sertraline?
    • Posted

Yes.... To start with expect unpleasantness, but stick to them because they work, I started to take  them again. It is my third time, so I have been there before, I'm on 50 mg. and have very unsettled mornings, but daily I feel the symptoms seem a bit lighter, even if are not good.

good luck and keep taking them, it's worth it👍

• Posted

Well done, I'm starting my journey again.... third time.....
  • Posted

Can I get your opinion on my condition?
  • Posted

Good job! the side effects do fade out when your brain adjusts to the meds, keep at it you will have you old life back 100%!
  • Posted

Hi I'm so pleased I came across your story I hope your still doing well,I am on day 12 of taking sertralin and have seen improvements however I am still struggling with intrusive thoughts I'm Hoping they will go

• Posted

Thank you to everyone for sharing your stories.  Today is my first day taking 25mg of sertraline and I'm desperately hoping to feel ok.  The stories shared below have given me a reality as to what to expect but more so the motivation to push through the side effects (if they occur) as it seems this drug has really changed a lot of people's lives.  I hope to share the same positive stories soon too.

• Posted

Hi Dani, I am in a pretty much carbon copy as you were, I have a great family / great wife and the best little son of 8 months.

I have been researching every type of SSRI to try and get the right one, however I know that everyone is different.

I'm just wondering how you are doing now ? And did it help you.

I suffer from extreme anxiety and I know that I need a bit of assistance as I can't keep going on in this way.

Many Thanks

Tony

• Posted

I know this is a while ago but a great positive story for me to read as I am currently going through the same problems you were and im on week 3 with no change and was starting to lose hope, hopefully soon i can get back to myself again
  • Posted

Im on day 4 of Sertraline 50mg and today has been the worst day ever. Last night I woke up due to sweats and panic attack...I literally could not get back to sleep. The only thing that calmed me down was reading these stories from everyone. It's SO nice to know I'm not alone. I'm really struggling and had it not been for me reading these experiences I would have given up I think. I really appreciate everyone sharing their stories. I took some Valium this afternoon but still couldnt get to sleep, so I'm worrying I won't be able to sleep tonight, that along with absolutely no appetite is freaking me out!!

• Posted

This is hard to do, I av experience of depression years ago and I was rock bottom believe me u av in ur mind ur not going to get better . I can tell you given time the tablets , may need to b increased cus they are a low dose will start to increase and balance your chemicals in the brain to give you more serotonin which increases the happy hormone we all have. I'm on this site for the first time because I've ad a relapse the last week and I'm on this new tablet I'm frightened all over again hoping this tablet will do the trick .

• Posted

Its so hard. I literally dont know how to get through every day. Especially when I can't sleep properly either. How are you going?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.