TKR follow up

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had my op eleven days ago and since then I've not been able to contact the hospital and speak to the ard sister or senior nurse regarding when I can leave my dressing or compression socks off.

A couple of days after surgery the wound was still leaking badly and I'd already used the two dressings supplied by the hospital.

The chemist had nothing suitable in stock and they required a doctors prescription to order the correct size dressings which I found unbelievable, I mean its not as if I was ordering an A class drug.

I made do over the weekend by joining large plasters together, not really ideal but they did the job.

The wound has healed up pretty good now and looks great but I'm not sure if I can leave the dressing off as I don't want anything nasty getting in causing problems.

I'm getting fed up with the surgical stockings which are really digging into my calves,  probably restricting circulation rather than helping it

Some medical sites recommend removal of both two weeks post op, others say you must follow your surgeon's advice. 

I would certainly do the later if it were possible to contact him 

I realize there's no set in stone procedure and we all progress differently but I would be interested  what advice anyone received from their consultant      

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I have a TKR 5 weeks ago, I was told that I had to leave the stocking on for 6 weeks, only a week to go. Regarding your dressing, could you ring and speak to your Doctor. Hope you get it sorted.

• Posted

Hi David

I was informed by the hospital that the teds would need to be worn for 6 weeks although i do think thats quite a long time . I.m day 19 into TKR and still wearing them ,However if you have discomfort may i suggest you remove them for a few hours the relief of having them off for a while is great .

Good luck

• Posted

Dave,after just a week all I had is what I can describe as a large surgical plaster covering the whole incision with no problems,you don’t even have to see a doctor just pop into your GP surgery and ask see one of the practice nurses that’s all I did when I needed it changing and also they can remove your staples when your ready for that to be done.
  • Posted

Hello there i had my first tkr 1 month and 4 days ago . I left my dressing on until the 12th day and then the nurse came and took it off was very happy with it and then took my 42 staples out.. a few days after i got home m say about 6 i had a full stocking on my operated leg up to the top of my thigh and a stocking on my good leg only up to my knee. The one on my operated was constantly creasing up and cutting into my calf, my thigh it was causing me pain. When the phsyio came. For my 2nd visit she told me i could take it off as it was maybe causin me more pain . Plus the way it was creasin up wouldnt be helpin my blood flow but i was told to keep the other stockin on a bit longer . So great i took it off and was much more comfy. Then a couple days later i took my other one off and i was at the end of my blood thinning tablets . And by then i knew i could move a little more. So its how u feel i hope my message helps u a little david . Get well soon x
  • Posted

Hi David I had mine done 27th November I get my staples out in 4 days time. I haven't worn surgical stockings at all. My surgeon didn't believe in them. Mind you I was pleased cos I hated them the last time I wore them. I too had trouble with seepage district nurse changed the dress in using the on spare I had. You're right I couldn't buy any. But as an ex nurse I knew what to do. Amazon to the rescue 10cms x20cns melolin cut in half makes one strip long enough for coverage. Then bought Mepital film dressing( used for second skin coverage treatment of burns. If you can't get mepital use mepital one film dressing. My hubby said money doesn't come into it where health concerned. But like you I was angry that such a pallaver over dressings. Hope you get sorted 😁😁

• Posted

With my second tkr , the surgeon told me I didn't need to wear compression stockings at all, as he found patients were nore mobile without them. He was right, I walked about more, and got moving faster. Also slept better as not so hot and uncomfortable. Suppose it depends on the surgeon.

• Posted

Gosh, did they not give you a number to call? What happens depends on the instructions your surgeon has given for you and these are made specific for your own situation. I would persist in contacting them. There should be a discharge help line you can call and talk to someone on the ward.
  • Posted

Hey David, had my tkr 16 days ago and was back in for two week post op earlier this week. My surgeon had me leave my dressing on for one week following surgery and then I had to be careful around incision by just letting water run over it and pat it dry instead of rubbing it. He has me wearing the stocking during the day and removing them at night for another 2 weeks and then I can remove them for good.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi David, I am 7 weeks post TKR. I was told to keep stockings on for 6 weeks. Saw consultant at 6 weeks and he said ok to stop. Dressing I had on for two weeks. Although pysio did change it at 10 days as so tight and restricted knee. Came off when leg was undressed by practice nurse at 13 days. I had internal stitching and wound was covered by steristrips. No staples. Wound looks brilliant now. I did apply bio oil as soon as wound healed and still apply.
  • Posted

Hi David. At 11 days, are you not due your staples out? I wasn't told how long to keep the stockings on for or I didn't take it in, one of the two. I phoned the hospital, asked to get put through to the ward and asked the nurse. There was no problem. Got told 6 weeks BTW. Hated the things!! The relief when taking them off to wash them or for a shower. I'll never forget that feeling total bliss. 😍 All the best in your recovery

• Posted

Hey david the lady before said about she kept hers on for the 6 weeks. I duno how she  got them back on after the shower, i did try t9 do that but i was cathcing the dressing and was so scared id do more dammage so wen phsyio came she sed to take them off. X
    • Posted

It wasn't easy as they were so tight, but I managed. My dressing was stuck down well so there was nothing to catch on. I was told 6 weeks but took them off at 4. I couldn't bear them any longer

• Posted

I don't know your location but agree sometimes it can be hard to reach the surgeons and hospital ward by phone. They should really have given you a letter, leaflet or booklet with aftercare and discharge advice and info.

?You could ask to see the practice nurse at your GP, who would advise you, that is what I was told to do after discharge which I did  as I had a couple of things I wanted checking. The plaster was to be left on the wound until the staples came out and then I had a fresh one from the nurse for a further week. It was more comfortable with the plaster as otherwise clothing and stuff caught against wound and felt irritable.

?I did not have any surgery stockings issued for this op - some are advised 6 weeks to wear, others can remove once they are actively walking about, as the greatest risk for blood clots is when not ambulant, but you do need to take advice for own circumstances and risk factors, so I would also ask the nurse about those, or the physio may know the local hospital policy.

?It might be worth giving feedback to your hospital consultant's office about the difficulty reaching them and lack of info - most hospitals have a website you can contact or forms to fill in. I received a feedback form both before leaving the hospital and a few months later. Good luck with everything!

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your interesting replies, today I managed to get in touch with the hospital and apparently I should have received a discharge pack containing all the information I needed.

However, it was confirmed surgical stockings stay on for 6 weeks ---uhg!  but the dressing can be removed today.

Can I just give a tip for anyone about to undergo invasive surgery, you may find yourself suffering from intolerable  itching, try smoothing on body lotion, worked a treat for me.

I've read many articles about this type of operation and I'm surprised no one has mentioned their surgeon used dissolvable stitches like mine did,-- hope he knows what he's doing.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your replies, --much appreciated.

• Posted

Are you in the uk? My surgeon with my op 8 weeks ago used disposable stitches with steri strips on top of wound. The scar is brilliant. I think you wont notice it by next summer! The only thing i found with disposable was that it made the wound tight, and i did need to pull one out at the bottom as it stuck out. I did snap a few others under the skin at 5 weeks whilst manipulating my knee but it felt so much better after!
    • Posted

I had dissolvable stitches and steristrips...very pleased about that!

My incision scar is something I am rather fond of...a testimony to my bravery! 😁😃

• Posted

I did sneak mine off at night after 4 weeks! Didn't mind wearing them but got fed up of washing them every day! 😀😁😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.