7 weeks post op for rectocele & cystocele repair & sacrospinous fixation - update

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi Ladies, I have received so much information and support from this forum over recent months and hope that this will also prove helpful to others providing reassurance and also some gentle warnings to take care. Bottom line/abridged version  - rest, rest and more rest (even when you think you are feeling better) for a minimum of 6 weeks and likely for a lot longer (12 weeks) - this will give you the best chance of a good and full recovery. 

Foe me it has been a bumpy 7 weeks with lows, highs, more lows and then full on panic that the operation had failed, followed by tears of relief that all is actually healing fine, just taking a bit of extra time for the tissues to heal ..... a redhead trait - we are sensitive ones?! apparently. 

Unpleasant things that happened in the 7 weeks included anaemia due to blood loss in the operation (a trait of redheads also apparently) which led to fainting/weakness immediately post op which meant I couldn't get out of bed/alarms going off in the hospital/catheter in place longer etc. followed by usual 4 days of no bowel movement, followed by a very unusual 5 weeks of effectively faecal incontinence and loose bowels which took me to an untold low. Then a dose of a flu type bug with high temperature and lots of coughing and sneezing which was also miserable and had me bracing my tummy to keep everything in tact. 

I had to resort to cutting out practically all meds from iron tablets, codeine, ibuprofen and all of the stool softeners etc that had been prescribed to try an calm down my digestive system and I self-prescribed otc treatments to counter thrush, piles and practically nappy rash given the unexpected complications that visited me. Counter to everything that we are normally told, I had to move to lower fibre food, reduce fluid intake etc. All very strange and maybe a complication of my historical IBS, inflammation/upset from ibuprofen and antibiotics. 

But amongst all of this there were some highs. I had a look down below after week 1 or 2 and there was no bruising, no prolapses and a perfectly formed wonderful vagina was to be seen. Wept with joy at the prospect of feeling and looking normal again.

At 2-4 weeks, started to feel able to go out to get occasional fresh air/visit a friend etc. (albeit trying to manage discreetly problems with bowels). Bleeding stopped at about 2-3 weeks and was managing mainly on paracetamol but needed a lie down/rest during the day. Only very very short car journeys as a passenger could be tolerated and similarly not much sitting but a little walk around was fine. I finally started to ditch the pyjamas/leisurewear during the day and I managed to drive 1 mile or so to get meds for husband who had flu.

At 5 weeks, I was hit with flu bug (thanks husband), mainly in bed/on sofa feeling sorry for myself for a week.  At 6 weeks, I sat 2 hours in a car as a passenger, had dinner with friends,  sleep over, 2 hours trip back the following day. I was really uncomfortable and needed paracetamol.  I was desperate for fresh air after almost 2 weeks in flu ridden household, so walked for 20 minutes around neighbouring woodland/lake the day after the 'weekend away". I felt overjoyed to be in fresh air but despondent that had so little stamina for the walk and needed to lie down and recover when I got home. I had a look down below as the familiar prolapse type dragging feeling and pain there and I was distraught to see 2 apparent lumps/swellings just up from the entrance to my lady bits. Rested for 3 days solid, felt better and it looked a bit better. 

At week 6+ when allegedly we can engage in intercourse, I thought I ought to try driving more than a mile (less frightening than sex!). I found I was perfectly fine driving for 5 to 20 mins, but at week 7 drove 45 mins, had a lovely relaxing facial and pedicure followed by 30 minutes of freedom trying on clothes/shopping/like a kid in a sweetshop,  followed by killer 45 minute drive home ............This resulted in pain, soreness and what I thought was a return of the prolapses, cue tears, despair.......when is this going to end, feel better, when can I get back to normal life, work etc. and now I don't think I can even go to to the Christmas party I have bought the clothes for.......

Week 7 and 1 day, finally see my consultant. I tell him the highs - great that bladder working well, bowels now pretty much under control, no hematoma, no butt pain, no serious infection - but also explained the issues as above and concerns that whilst I could see I was no longer a stage 2 prolapse (2 apricots at opening) - I thought I could see a stage 1 prolapse (2 large sultanas front and back just inside), I was sore, dragging pain from driving/shopping the previous day etc.

He examined me - and got me to press down (instructions were to tell him as he rummaged around outside and in where it felt sore, then to cough, then bare down as if pushing out a poo, push harder as if pushing our a baby, pull up pelvic floor and squeeze, interspersed with relax, breath normally etc., ). He used lots of lube, was considerate and gentle under the circumstances and a nurse was on hand giving encouragement! Upshot was that what I can see is not a prolapse.............just normal swelling/healing and plump walls of the vagina. The nurse said she had a good look too (!) and absolutely could confirm that even when pushing out a 'baby', no prolapse came down. I had also though the soreness might be due to vaginal atrophy ( 57 and rather late, but started peri menopause a few months back, finally prescribed Vagifem and Estriol cream to help with atrophy and ultimately also HRT patches as getting so desperate with sudden onset of hormonal imbalances) However, his assessment was that I may have a bit of an infection which was leading to the soreness so he recommended a type of cream/ointment used for nappy rash which I can buy over the counter and that the tissues were otherwise appropriately moist and plump from the hormonal treatments (good to know I suppose!). 

I told him that we had not 'road tested' so to speak my new lady bits because of my concerns and he was emphatic that given on going healing for me, no intercourse for at least another 4 - 6 weeks (phew) and no pelvic floor exercises using the internal weights/Kegel8/Elvie appliances etc...but just to carry on as I have been with normal natural squeezes etc. (Pelvic floor and control all tested as ok).

I asked should I be trying to walk more, do more normal activities/exercise etc. start to challenge myself etc. ....again he was adamant, absolutely not. Rest, listen to body and allow the healing process, although he recognised it was difficult but important for me to accept as he knows how active I would normally be. Again he reiterated, I am still healing. Although some advice is 4-6 weeks, for some (especially fair skinned/redhead etc. according to the nurse at least) it can often taken a little longer. He wants to see me in another 4-6 weeks to check progression of the healing and hopefully if I continue to take it easy, all will be well. The dissolvable stitches are slowly dissolving and there are 2 nylon permanent stitches hitching up my uterus to the sacro spinous ligament.

I was so relieved to know that the op appears to have been a success and setting aside my personal and peculiar earlier complications, the intermittent discomfort I feel and little bumps I can see are just part of the healing. I am also reassured to know he will see me again to check and should contact him or GP in between times if anything concerns me and I suppose I have been given a 'don't feel guilty' pass to just 'STOP', RELAX and allow my body to heal.

Take care lovely ladies and I hope and pray you have the support and resources to enable you to allow your amazing bodies to heal and be kind to yourselves and try not to worry too much........ progress will be made in time and with care xxxx

8 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Redhead1960,

Thank you so much for your posts. I return to read them often to give me hope and patience. I thought I would be up and running by now- 4 weeks post op. - as it says in so many leaflets - but that is far from the case. I am normally very active- walking and cycling and swimming longish distances often, but now a walk from the carpark to a shop, walk around it and be driven back home cause pain and discomfort. much discomfort of the undercarriage. I am off to buy more nappy rash cream soon. Still not comfy in a car even.

I guess its a good lesson in patience, but it's a hard one.

Thanks once again for your support.

PS I'm also a redhead...

• Posted

Hi Grandma4,

I haven't been on this site for such a long time, but in the last few weeks as i have taken pause to reflect on how different and better i feel to about this time 12 months ago when i was recovering from the op and am hugely grateful to this forum for the heartfelt sympathy, support and hints and tips shared amongst the group. Thank you for your lovely post and i wish you all the very best with your recovery. I am feeling great, everything is working as it should and by chance i had an appointment with the consultant who did my op just a a few weeks ago. it was for something unrelated and happily resolved but he was able to check out how things are looking and holding up 12 months on. it was great to know that even from his unique perspective (!)the surgery, healing and appropriate exercises have all worked. i have had also HRT patches for just over 12 Months too and this i think has resolved the vaginal atrophy along with occasional oestrogen cream and after decades, my IBS and constipation has improved which has to help with the rectocele. so i hope this give you hope that there is light at the end of the dark tunnel of recovery! XX

• Posted

Dear Redhead1960,

It's great to hear from you- it is so helpful to know that this will pass and I'll be good as new, if not better. Your message is timely too! I'm now 6 weeks and 2 days post op, still very uncomfortable and still using the Cavilon cream, but I can feel some improvement and that is so encouraging, i am tempted to try things out- gently. This morning I went to my usual Pilates class for the first time. Of course I didn't do most of the exercises, but stuck to the ones I was supposed to do from the hospital plus a little stretching It felt great to see my classmates again and so far I'm feeling fine! Tomorrow I'm going to have a short drive in the morning.- just 5 minutes to the shops, but it will be a start.

I still take my pressure cushion with me in a bag wherever I go as sitting is still uncomfortable after a while. It's in a canvass bag with a scarf thrown over the top to disguise it but no one seems to notice, or at least they don't laugh out loud.

I am so grateful also for the radio, as by the afternoon lying is so much more comfortable than sitting or standing, so I lie in bed, with the light off, curtains open, watching the wind and rain and night fall and listen to an inspiring story or a book being read out loud. It is so different from my normal life, but it's great and gives me a boost for the evening.

Thanks once again for being so kind as to reply to me and give me such encouragement I hope to be able to do the same for someone else this time next year. Take care, have fun xx

• Posted

AWWH thank you. just take it easy and slow and pace yourself. it will be worth the wait to get a great recovery. All the very best Grandma4 XX

• Posted

Thank you for posting this, I am 3 weeks post op from stage 3 rectocele and cystocele repair surgery. i experienced great pain and pressure in my tailbone area of my back immediately after the surgery and was in the hospital for 3 nights instead of the anticipated overnight stay. It is slowly getting better everyday but i am struggling to stand for more then a few minutes at a time without feeling pressure in that same area like i need to go to the bathroom. i have not attempted to drive yet and am afraid to go into a store without knowing i can sit and rest for a few minutes before having to walk again. i find the best relief is lying down in bed. is this expected for recovery from this procedure? thank you

• Posted

oh wow im so glad i stumbled across this.

I'm currently 6 weeks post op (anterier/posterior prolapse surgery), I had alot of problems in the first few weeks as i kept getting infections, now i have that sorted im having alot of discomfort and pain in stomach and bowel...literally when i go for a bowel movement i cant finish it due to pain! I have had to dive back into 'normal life' though as i have 3 young children but this week I have felt so drained and really tired. (been very tearful as i thought id be absolutely fine by now)

• Posted

Hi

It is so important that the we have faith in the consultant we see.

I am 4 weeks post op for a large rectocele and sacrophinous fixation. This is my third prolapse op. I had a bladder repair 25 years ago and 12 years ago I had a vaginal hysterectomy and vaginal repairs.

The hysterectomy was one of the worst experiences of my life! My bladder was cut during surgery and I was sent home with a catheter for 2 weeks not having had a bowel movement. In fact I received very little care in the hospital and was left feeling very vulnerable. Having not come up from surgery till 9pm the night before, not having yet put my feet on the floor, still having a vaginal pack and still catheterized, a male nurse told me to get ready as I was going home in a short while. I actually stayed in for two nights. On returning home the following day I ended up having to have the district nurse out to give me an enema as I was so constipated, honestly I was in so much pain it was like giving birth and I am sure this didn't help with the repairs that had been performed.

Anyway you can probably imagine my reluctance to have my recent op. What a different experience! I have a female doctor who took the time to listen and treat all of me. She operated on me and I saw her on the Saturday I had the op and even on the Sunday morning! I was so well cared for. I wasn't sent home until I had had a bowel movement, which as I have been given stool softeners was not as unpleasant as I had anticipated. I was sent home with very direct, strict instructions from both the consultant and physio and written information, which I was able to leave laying around so my hubby and grown up children could pick up and read and understand the amount of surgery I had undergone and see that I could not do anything much for at least the first 2 weeks. Often because you do not have external wounds people do not appreciate why you need to rest. I am very lucky I have had very little pain, I have been uncomfortable and am knackered after doing anything.

Like you in the past few days the uncomfortable feeling has returned and I have a full feeling in my vagina again and could almost pinpoint where I imagine my stitches are. I am religiously doing my pelvic exercises and am praying this is the normal healing process and not a failure of the repair. I have my post op consultation next week at week 5. Prior to the op I was put on estrogen gel and pessaries but have been told not to take this again until my post op appointment. Maybe this might help my discomfort. I actually feel a bit "raw " inside, did you feel like this?

• Posted

couldnt relate more to how you are feeling right now

how are you getting on?

• Posted

Sorry to reply so late, I was locked out of my account. Yes absolutely I felt raw and sore in those first few weeks. It was mainly the tissues healing, the stitches dissolving etc., but I also had a low level infection. With the combo of the bleeding, loose stools,wearing pads and trousers all the time, its quite common. The consultant advised me to use a particular nappy cream, i forget the brand name but its bright yellow cream, quite messy and stains clothes but it has got more active antibacterial and antiseptic properties than sudocrem. That helped for external soreness, plus having a bit of time letting the air get to my bits! The internal rawness was just the tissues healing. Hope you feel more comfortable soon. When you are able to use the estriol cream inside that will help loads too as it builds up the thickness of the vaginal walls which tend to thin and dry out with hormone changes. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi, thanks for asking! It's spooky but I was only reflecting yesterday on how far I have come and how grateful I am. Everything is working and comfortable. I enjoy Pilates, Pilates Reformer, Aquacise, walking and even managed a HIT Class yesterday. I am aware that if I sit for too long, which happens often, that it can make downward pressure uncomfortable and I am careful and listen to my body and will not keep pushing to do the plank or deep squats etc. If i feel a bit of dragging down below, I rest and do bridges to help settle everything. I had a routine smear a few weeks ago and all but hugged the nurse when she reported everything was in its place and no prolapse. I do need to use vagifem and estriol cream on my ladybits to keep the tissues comfortable and I am on Femoston HRT. Not a cure all, and I feel everybit of my 60++ years some days.

I am glad i had the surgery, the recovery was long and difficult, but i believe taking time to recover is important. The recovery time is a lot longer than the 6-8 weeks of the fit note and it takes even longer to get to feeling normal. Take care.

• Edited

im

so glad your doing well,

your story sounds so simular to what i am currently going through and i am only week 4 , feel like the buldge has returned and the downward pressure is horrible , i thought this would be like having a baby, by far it isnt , im lucky i have great support at home but i do have 4 kiddies and the youngest is 2 so altho resting i have had to do some bits which feels like it is too much , sadly the world around me cant stop because ive had an op

does this bulgde go? i dont feel like mine is normal at all compared to how it was this has by far got to be one of the most stressfulest things ive ever been through the worry is dreadful praying that you havent done too much and have to go through it all over again

x

• Posted

Hi Mummal30

My heart goes out to you, it is absolutely stressful pre and post op. The healing and recovery can take so long and life, family or work commitments do not go on pause. You are still at an early stage of your recovery at less than 6 weeks. The chances are that the swelling and the bulge you are feeling or seeing are the swollen tissues and bruising from the surgery, stitches etc. Plus the longer periods you are up on your feet, sitting, lifting and pushing the combination of gravity and the normal laxity/stretchiness of the vaginal walls will contribute to things feeling or looking like they are bulging or moving around which is normal and not the dreaded prolapses returning. Hopefully you will also be noticing that after a nights sleep, that first thing in the morning you are feeling more comfortable down below. If you can, during the day, do a bit and rest a bit. Gradually you will be able to do more and rest less and life gets back to normal. If you can raise your bum and legs up even for a few minutes with cushions, that can help. I would lie on the sofa with my legs draped up the wall or bum and legs draped over the sides of the sofa and sleep with a pillow under my bum to get the tilt in my pelvis to help reduce the pressure. I will still do this now if I need to after too many hours sat working, or after a long walk or long drive, too much lifting/gardening etc. because I am more conscious of that dragging feeling and downward pressure but have gained confidence knowing it does pass with rest/tilting the pelvis and the prolapse have not returned.

I imagine your post op check will be soon and your consultant will be able to check all is well and give you the reassurance. But if you are worried or experiencing lots of bleeding, signs of infection, issues with bladder, bowels or the bulges are dropping outside the vaginal opening do contact your doctor.

Wishing you a good recovery and sending hugs x

• Posted

Hello Mummal30,

I am in my 3rd week post operation. i had prolapse surgery and right now i feel the bulge come back in the front of my vagina. I want to know if you still feel this and what your doctor said at check up? I am freaking out right now with the fear of surgery failure. Thanks

• Edited

Hello, i created an account just to reply, as I recently had a cystocele corrected with a sacro spinous ligament attachment. I have a spinal cord injury & am paralyzed from the waist down (happened 24 years ago) & I’m also 42 years old. My doctor said I’m the youngest patient he has ever had in general & the youngest he's done this surgery on. My paralysis played a role in the prolapse as I’ve never had children. The surgery was tough, to say the least. I had a hemorrhoidectomy done right after the prolapse surgery for grade 4 internal prolapsed hemorrhoids. Both of the surgeons weren’t sure how much pain I’d feel. Oh boy did I feel pain. Yes it was dulled because I’m paralyzed but still was bad enough where I sobbed from the pain waking up from the surgery & after I got home I cried every time I had to make a transfer into my wheelchair, into bed, or onto my toilet seat or shower bench which both have circular cutouts & puts downward pressure on the area. I also had to lift both my legs with my arms, & I tried not to strain but I had no choice. Moving my body was also technically lifting. The doctor used more stitches than usual & more permanent ones than what’s normal for this procedure, because he knew how much lifting I had to do. The stitches have held in place as far as I know. I’m 5 weeks post op & it’s still a struggle for sure. The hemorrhoidectomy pain has also been horrific & if I had to do it over again I wouldn’t have done them at the same time. Today I noticed 4 large bumps on the upper part of the opening to my vagina (looks like 4 dice sized lumps next to each other in a square shape) & I panicked, thinking I was now deformed. Then a Google search brought me to this forum, & I learned it’s just swelling thank god. Does anyone know how long the swelling usually lasts & how long it took for the vagina to look “normal”? I want to start dating again but things just look odd down there, not like the normal ridged appearance on the top wall of the vagina that I had before the prolapse happened. Also, the drainage hasn’t calmed down, one day it’s not a lot and the next day there’s a ton. It also smells bad, it’s not infected but someone on TikTok said her drainage smelled like cabbage & I tend to agree. How long did it take everyone for the drainage to stop and normal discharge to start? Thank you again if you read this far!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.