DOUBLE VISION AFTER MVD SURGERY FOR TN

Posted , 20 users are following.

Has anyone out there had double vision after their surgery?

It totally disorientated me.I had motion sickness and the lights hurt my eyes.

I left hospital on the 9th day after surgery which included 2 visits to the Opthamologist whilst still in there.They said all they could do was put a patch on one eye so I could just see one thing instead of two.They told me I had double vision and horizontal something or another,so basically I can see double but I can see things at a slant as well.It's horrible.

I am now 6 weeks post surgery and STILL have the double vision.I'm finding it very difficult to cope with.I've had to make so many adjustments and my confidence has disappeared.

First I was told it would only last a few days,then when it didn't go I was told up to 8 weeks but after the results of my second visit to Ophthalmologist I was told my 4th cranial had taken some hammer and if it didn't resolve itself then I could be looking at 12 to 18 months for corrective surgery!

I've looked on different forums and from what I can find,double vision doesn't seem something that many mvd patients seem to have had,or if they have,it's only lasted about 3 days.

If this has happened to you or anyone you know.I'd appreciate you letting me know the outcome.

Best Wishes to all you people out there with TN and other Neurological problems.

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have read it is a possible side affect of the MVD surgery. I pray it resolves. I believe it will.
  • Posted

Hi Christina1956. I had mvd 6 days ago.. And I am still having double vision.. I do understand how big of a pain it can be.. I have to cover one eye justto tryto do anything.. And with me I get so sick with my stomach and a headache from seeing double..I go back to my checkup on Monday in 3 days.. I keep praying it will get better.. But what is also weird is that my left side of my face is completely numb like I went to a dentist and had a numbimg shot on my left side of my face.. I dont have my tn pain any more.. But these new problemsthatI am having are becoming a major pest and distrupt my daily living.. I will pray for you that it will getbetter
    • Posted

Hello, Thank you for your reply. It has been 9 months since I had my surgery. The double vision was bad. I went to a eye Dr. 3 times and they said wait. At 4 months it completely disappeared. I have the facial numbness like you. I am beginning to think it is something that I will have to deal with. I am just grateful that other people can not tell. I worry about it getting worse and being visible to other people. My mouth is always extremely dry. I know it could be alot worse do I am trying hard to be grateful for what I have. I hope your double vision gets better. Try to be patient and not have any more surgical procecures. You have to try an be patient. I used an eye patch also and did not drive for 4 months. It was like starting all over again. My head is still very sore. Good luck with your recovery. It takes alot more time then we want. Kathy
    • Posted

Hi Kathy, Malcolm, Christina, Karen and all other post tn op, I've joined the ranks. Surgery was 13 days ago. No TN pain, but all the other stuff. Double vision, headaches, dry mouth, numb face. I think I can live with all but the double vision. Numb face is a happy tradeoff of that TN pain. 🙂. It gives me great reassurance and comfort to know you are all out there going through the exact same thing. So thank you for keeping in touch. 

• Posted

Christina1956  - I had trigeminal nerve MVD on 5/2/17. I could have written your post!! I have double/ slanted vision post op. My eyes are very light sensitive and simply riding in a car causes a worsening of my symptoms. Reading was my favorite pastime but now it's all but impossible for any length of time - especially when my eyes are tired. My neurologist says he's never had a patient with my complaints! The Opthamologust simply says "you have double vision" - no answers as to what happened. That being said, I do not have ANY trigeminal nerve pain. I am hoping to hear from you to see what happened for you.

• Posted

Hi Karen, I've complained about headaches and double vision since surgery 13 days ago. I think the neurologist simply lied to you about never hearing anyone having these symptoms after surgery. And your eye doctor, brilliant diagnosis. i don't know when your post was written. How are you now? I hope you're better, it gives us all hope. 

• Posted

P.s. No TN pain. Thank God for that. Headaches and double vision are easier to deal with.🙂

• Posted

I had MVD surgery 12 days ago. I'm having terrible headaches and double as well as horizontal vision.  Feeling pretty awful but hoping it'll all get better in a few weeks. If the vision thing persists, I think there are glasses that will correct it. The hospital nurse tells me I should be showering every day, walking, and going somewhere with a friend, like Starbucks everyday. Are you kidding me? At least she acknowledged I had brain surgery. I'm seeing a cardiologist, had an irregular EKG post op, who said MVD is not brain surgery. Who says that? 

• Posted

Jewell: I had meningeoma brain surgery in 2014 and since then double vision. What you need to understand is that these surgeons and staff have no idea whether you will suffer vision problems and, if so, how to treat them. They are cutters and that's all. A certain percentage of patients get double vision, period. Also, none of them ever experienced double vision and how debilitating it is. So, you are on your own. If it doesn't improve in 9 months, find an eye surgeon. I waited and waited for vision to improve. It didn't. The surgeon can help you regain 50% of your vision. Better than nothing. Mack

• Posted

Thanks Mack, I know you are correct. I'll be patient. Plus it's still early. The thing that really got to me was the nurse who has no idea about this experience. I need to be my own judge here. Thanks again for your support.

• Posted

Hi again Christina. Along with the vision and headache situation, guess I'm getting a little batty too. I just answered your post a second time. 😝😫😝

• Posted

I had the surgery two ago and still have the double vision. Plus headaches and slightly sensitivity to light. Checkup with surgeon isn't for two more weeks. Have read other TN sights and some report the Double vision went away on its own after 4 months. Another reported eye surgery after 9 months an then it still wasn't 100%. Others have said to be grateful for what we have and be patient with the rest. Sounds like good advice. So I'll hang in there and pray.🙏. Good luck to you in your recovery. Stay in touch. I think this forum very helpful.

• Posted

Dear Christina, Kathy, Malcolm, Karen, Jewell, All Others Suffering,

I had MVD 2-1/2 weeks ago and I could say the same thing as all of you, the double, slanted, horizontal, vertical, whatever you want to call it vision.  The neurosurgeon almost pushed me out the door when I said I still had it after two weeks and tried to almost blame it on the fact that I have astigmatism in that eye.  He had never mentioned double vision before the surgery so I was shocked.  He basically said it's permanent and to get to a neuro-ophthalmologist.  I will give it time because I've had way too many surgeries in my life.  I am sorry for all of you here on this forum and I pray for all of your healing.  It really helps to see I'm not alone.  I am a proofreader and I watch dogs for my livelihood and I cannot do either at this point (read or drive).  The TN is kind of gone so that is a small plus but being dizzy, not able to eat or function is so hard to deal with.  Thank you for listening.  Patti

• Posted

This is the exact scenario I experienced!! My neurosurgeon said he never had anyone have this side effect before!?! I am 4 months post op and most of my vision has been restored. I doubt it will ever be perfectly normal again but I can drive with my new glasses and I finally went back to work part time. I pray yours improves with time!  
    • Posted

Yes, it does sound like a similar situation!?! What type of glasses did you have to get and how expensive? Did you ever get an answer to what actually caused your double vision? And was it skewed and kind of a different color of vision? Just wondering and hoping. I can't drive yet either. How long did it take for you to drive again? Sorry for so many questions. :-) Thank you for your input.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.