New at forum and new at Total Knee Replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

First question i think that iam doing everything right with medications and resting elevation ,ice,therapy and all. get around house good for the most part with no pain but at night after sleeping couple hrs get up to go to bathroom no walker no cane as i only have to go about 10 ft use the wall for support but every step i take is pure torture even though i could do the same thing before laying down with no pain whatsoever, with the medications sometimes i have to make 2 or 3 trips of torture once iam for the day i move  around with no problem . another question day # 10 after surgery i was doing my physio walking around house nonstop for 8 minutes no walker had cane with me but only in case i needed which i didn't felt so good i was looking for a place to put my walker out of way thought i didn't need it anymore. then after i went to bed that night had lots of cramps discomfort now 3 days i can't do anything without walker tightness in knee and cramping in legs. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I dont understand why you are not using crutches, or walker?

You have had the biggest load bearing joint in your body sawn and drilled.

How many days post op are you now?

• Posted

Hello. Sounds like you just had your knee replacement done a few weeks ago. Take Your Time! ! Patience is Necessity!! Do you warm knee b4 exercuses? Maybe scar area needs massage?? You could use lotion (vitamin E or Alogen)I was using walker for 2 weeks after surgery. Still use cane(when out of house) & its 10 weeks. I have been doing the squats, marching in place, leg lifts, etc. from day 5 after surgery. PT 2X week.

• Posted

I think freddie is saying that she/he is only a few days post op.  Be careful not to encourage her/him ? to do too much. 
  • Posted

It c ould be Sciatic nerve that gives you pain. (If so, Ibuprofen, Muscle relaxers or your doc can prescribe something). I find a heating pad helps.

Nerves take up to 3 months to regenerate, Bone from 1 to 6 months and Muscle about 3 to 4 months. Your knee is toughest place for blood to circulate. Keep doibg toe/heel steps b4 sleep.

Chico Marx has Great Advice on this site also!!!

• Posted

Bering weight after this surgery is very important, Freddie.  But from the sound of it, you are doing way too much way too soon.  Rest, elevation and ice (along with pain control (meds) are primary in your recovery right now. 

Use your walker.  Continue to walk, but with support.  Take your PT seriously, but don't let anyone force you to do anything that causes more that a little, uncomfortable pain.  Pain = inflammation = which equals stiffness and pain.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race. 

• Posted

I made a remark about how good it felt that one day I know I have to use walker and cane and therapy all those, what I was trying to get across my leg went from great to horrible over night, the theropist was here with me when I was doing it, what Iam trying to say I don’t understand it getting worse 
  • Posted

Welcome, "Kneebie", to TKR-Land, where every day is an adventure.  You've just started your year-long recovery, a time from which very, very few escape.  There will be only three things to occupy your life: time, work and patience...you will need all three.  You cannot push a knee to recovery; it will bite you back big time so you need to give it time to heal.  You MUST do the work to regain both ROM and strength.  Finally, you will absolutely slow down and be patient.  If you're not like that by nature, your knee will teach you.

Click on my name and then "See All Discussions" for many topics including ROM work, depression, sleeping, exercising, walking, stairs and more.  Have fun...

PS: The tightness (or a "band-like" feeling) is absolutely normal.  The worst of it will probably be gone by your one-year anniversary.  Docs say it can last 18 months; I'm almost two years post-op and I still feel it from time to time.  Meh...small price to pay for a pain-free life.

PPS...  Hang this on your fridge.  It's how your non-linear recovery will actually go...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

• Posted

hey , I am on day 11 myself , I tried only using cane and went back to walker , too much pain and not as comfortable. found out the dried blood in knee is causing most of my pain , now I only use heat pad , going to doctor  today to see if there is a pill to dissolve the dried blood. do not rush this , do not let it hurt

• Posted

There is no right or wrong here...no time schedule.  Use the walker until you don't need it anymore.  Then use the cane until you don't need it anymore.  It's really that simple.  It's not a contest to see who can throw their walking aids the quickest.  You need your ROM back and then you need to rebuild all the strength in your quads, glutes and core to support the knee and restore your balance.  This takes time and work.  Commit to it.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

• Posted

Hey Fredie,

It is only 10 day you are I think too ambitious. I would use sticks as long as I need and not feel

guilty because you should keep

Pain free. Take pain killers regularly. Until the swelling goes you need sticks and pain killers.

Also don’t overdo the exercise.

I stop using stick indoors after 4 weeks and outside after 6 weeks but consult hour PT.

Do not rush please it takes good 6 weeks before you can have a good night sleep.

At night your knee and around areas will be painful and you will feel tension behind the knee

This is all normal 

Good luck and keep positive attitude 

U will get there eventually 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.