5 weeks post TKR can’t bend knee..

Posted , 17 users are following.

I can straighten my knee no problem but can’t bend it fully. Can anyone suggest anything that would help me achieve this.Thankyou.

3 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Pat

I had very little physiotherapy from the NHS, just a few visits from a part time Community Physio who gave me exercises to do at home.

In addition to the usual recommended exercises, I was given a couple of simple exercises that can be done in the kitchen, perhaps when waiting for the kettle to boil.  The first one was to hold on to the worktop and march on the spot lifting your knees as high as possible and the second was to stand sideways on to the worktop, holding on with one hand for balance and swing your leg backwards and forwards kicking back as high as possible.  This can be done little and often without too much pain.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Wendy thank you.I just got a sheet with 6 excercises 2 being how to use crutches.I will definitely give yours a go.Take Care.Pat
  • Posted

Hi Pat, if you haven't been automatically referred for physio, ask your GP to refer you as you are entitled to 6 sessions on the NHS. Alternatively ring your ortho surgeon'a secretary at the hospital & ask her why you haven't been referred for physio & can she arrange it as you are having difficulty attaining your knee bend. Either way you should be referred but going via the consultants secretary should be quicker! A consultant in the NHS always trumps a GP!!

The bend can sometimes take longer than the straightening in the early days & 5 weeks is still early. You'll have swelling still which doesn't help. Are you elevating & icing?

Just keep at it, do the exercises to the best if your ability at the moment. Quality over quantity is best!

Where are you in the UK?  I'm in Hertfordshire, there does seem to be a postcode lottery as to what you get from the NHS without shouting for it! It shouldn't be but there you have it! 

Good luck, you'll get there.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thank you so much Marilyn.There wasn’t even a mention of being entitled to physio after discharge from hospital.We live in NIreland so maybe different from England.I always thought NHS was same in all of UK but my daughter lives in England & there appears to be differences in quite a few things.

I have been icing and elevating regularly and doing excercises as suggested by hospital physios.I will do as you suggest and speak to surgeons secretary and see what happens.

I am also hampered a bit with excersise as I have chronic pack pain .Thanks again.Pat

• Posted

Hi Pat, you're right there are some differences even in England, depending on which Health Authority you're under. The so called health postcode lottery! But I'm fairly sure that if you have major surgery, esp anywhere that affects mobility, you should have  physio afterwards. Otherwise how can you measure your rehab? Without a goniometer you can't know what your rom is. All you know is are you limping or not! As you improve you will need other exercises than on the hospital sheet, which is quite basic! Unless you know a physiotherapist, you won't know exactly what exercises you need. A good physio will tailor exercises to your needs.

I hope you get some help through the secretary. 

Let us know how you're getting on.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi I’m from the uk too and I had group physio after discharge from hospital until my check up with my consultant when he said he was pleased with my ROM.

Not sure why you haven’t been seen by a  physio as I thought this was the norm 

• Posted

I think it must be different in NIreland.I had a physio before that I went to privately so I will give her a call and make an appointment.It costs about £30 a visit but I think even if I only have a couple of sessions with her she could advise me on what I should be doing.Thanks for your help.

• Posted

I am having trouble bending as well. I’m very stiff. My surgery was Jan 18.  Any suggestions?
    • Posted

You are really early in your recovery, usually the stiffness in your knee is due to scar tissue. You need to do Range of movement exercises such as heel slides, exercise bike, squats and always ice and elevate afterwards x
    • Posted

I was just wondering if it is normal for your whole leg from knee right down to toes to swell up randomly.Mine wasn’t too bad this morning but this evening has swollen up so much feel like it’s going to burst.Just iced and elevated plus shin bone sore.

Just want to add I have chronic back pain due to a failed lumbar spinal fusion op so sometimes excercise making that worse.

• Posted

I only had swelling of the whole leg straight after surgery. Sounds a bit strange having random swelling in your lower leg are you sure it's not a DVT?  If the swelling doesn't go down by elevating it seek medical advice. 

If if you do heel slides bend your good knee which will keep pressure off your back.

I hope you get your swelling sorted X 

• Posted

Try getting muscle relaxers and rest for a day. If i over do my excercises, I tweak my knee and have to rest it and ice a whole day. I use Icy Hot roll on, instant relieve . 

If you are close to a physician, by all means go in. 

I’m not lucky, I live in a remote area and no help whatsoever. So today, I decided to go live by my sister in the city, to get professional support that I need. It’s a daily struggle day and night.

I hope things turn around for you, TC now.

• Posted

I feel reasonably sure it’s not a DVT as I am always on aspirin as have had 2 heart attacks.I also had heparin injections daily for 2 weeks post surgery.Havind said that if hasn’t settled by Monday I will contact my GP.Thank you for your advice.
  • Posted

As you are only 5 weeks out, you are still technically under the hospital. If you are still having random swellings down the leg perhaps phone the ward & speak to the sister in charge for advice. They always say to ring them if you're not sure of something & if necessary they can get the orthopod registrar to give you call back.

Hope it gets better soon

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi,i had TKR on 11/05/2028 and am now nearly 4 weeks post op and was wondering if in time you were able to bend your knee,like you i can stretch my leg out but cannot bend it,i can sit in a chair ok but getting in and out of a car actually makes me cry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.