TKR

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi I am day 4 after a total knee replacement, I am really tired and sore.

I know it will be worth it long term, but right now I really wish I had not had it done. Has anyone else felt like that please

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Deb,

if I could have cancelled my bilateral TKR’s 4 days on, I would have.  It’s that stage when you feel at your most miserable.  You’re still getting over the actual operation, anaesthetic and the way they had your knee placed to do the surgery etc.  you probably felt this bad on your first one but look how you forget.  As you say, you’re still not recovered fully from the first so don’t really have a good knee to relie on.  Getting in and out that hospital bed, with a grumpy nurse telling me “ you can do it” when I’m crying, so exhausted and sore saying “ I can’t”!   You will get better, you know that but at this time everything is fresh and a hard slog.  Do what you can and don’t feel guilty for long rests in between.  It’s major surgery and you’ve gone through it twice in 6 months.  I think you’re a star.  I had both mine on the same day and it was just the one operation to get over.  It’s tough but you’ll do it.  I put a pillow under both my knees to be able to sleep.  It’s frowned apron but it worked for me and my knees are straight, it didn’t affect my recovery.  I still use the pillow 2 years on.  These people that can do the cancan or such likes, a week on from the op are the lucky ones lol.  Most are the same as you.

best wishes for a speedy recovery

sue xx

• Posted

You said exactly what I said after I returned home from my TKR which was done 12-05-17.

I was a basket case for about a month and it tapered off gradually--the emotions--the crying, being mad at myself for having it done--the pain I had while doing PT in the home was so bad-almost excruciating while doing flexion exercises--heel slides on the bed and the chair scoots--brought me to tears almost every time. The other thing that was not so good was only getting pain meds that would last for only 1 week--then tramadol for another week and then that was it--the tramadol did not help me at all--but I know it does work for some. I even called the Dr. office and spoke with the nurse 2 times to ask if I could just have maybe 10 more oxycodone until I finished with the home PT because it was so difficult to get through without having anything to lessen the pain--but answer was a no!  I remember that at about 5-6 weeks--I felt a real change in things--my mood was better etc-didn't need the pain meds, was getting out at least to out patient therapy,was able to walk without any devices-was doing more and more household things which made me feel more normal. I hate it when I am not able to do the things I need to do-it's hard to send people out to get things for you but -once I started driving myself--I felt like a new person.

Its been 9 weeks since my surgery now--I go to PT 1 x per week--have reached 117 flexion and it is definitely tolerable flexing it to that point.

I continue to have aching in my knee when I go down steps and cant go down gracefully if I go one step right after the other and it hurts.  I ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes-and it aches when i start but after awhile I don't have much pain.  Still aches if I am sitting for a long time--have to stretch out my knee to relieve it. Am using ice after exercising and still elevate it while sitting at home or in bed for the most part.

Sorry this is so long--but I know how hopeless I felt and I kept wondering if other patients experienced the same things I was going through-I literally thought it wasn't going to get any better for a long long timesad

It is very true though--that some do get through this much  quicker and with seemingly less pain and problems--and others are having more difficulty than others--I continue to do the bike- the heel slides and knee bends  and the knee pulls while lying on stomach using a strap--those really help the most.

Don't despair Deb-you will improve gradually-and it may happen almost overnight like it did for me in the 5th to 6th week--but if it doesn't-just know that that day will come.

• Posted

Hi thank you for your lovely reply.

I had my other knee done 5 months ago!! That one is not completely healed yet, I should know what to expect but I am wrong.

I under estimated the pain, never mind this time next year I will be able to do my beautiful garden

• Posted

Yes

I had mine done in February 2016

and it’s still causing me trouble.

I would rather have my old knee back than all what I’ve been through and had to go through another operation this January to resurface the kneecap so the wound was opened up again and I’m trying to recover yet again. The whole thing has really knocked my health around. I only hope yours is temporary.what part of the uk did you gave it done?? X

• Posted

Yes all normal. Although routine it's major surgery which you need to recover from emotionally and physically. Rest,ice, analgesia but above all do the exercise regime religiously to strengthen muscles and obtain best range possible. Follow the links of Chico Marx on here. I'm 14 months post TKR had ups and downs in recovery mainly over extension but got there and believe me so worth the effort. All the best Kan

• Posted

Yep, Deb, we have ALL felt like that! You really are a TKR infant at 4 days, give it time, lots of rest, icing & elevating & exercise when you feel you can!

I had my 2nd tkr the weekend before Christmas, so didn't really exercise until about 2 weeks po, so don't stress if you can't do it!

You are so early in recovery, there will be more to come yet but you will  gradually start to feel better.

I thought I was at 9 weeks last week but was in fact 8, & am more or less back to normal now. Although I still use 1 crutch when I walk in town! At home I don't use anything & can go up & down stairs with no problem, albeit 

s l o w l y, esp coming down!!

It does seem to be once you pass the 6 week mark things should start to improve.

Don't focus your mind on the pain, tiredness etc of the here & now. Look ahead to when you are walking in the sunshine - without pain! Look forward..... onwards & upwards! Lol

This time next year it will all be one big bad dream!

Good luck on your journey to normality (walking wise!).

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi debs

4 days is nothing.

For the first 6 weeks you will feel really negative as I did.

Now I  in my 13th wk and finished one lot physio.

My pain has disappeared but my bending is still 90 degrees but with a push it goes up to 95.

It will get better with time be patient. I am 68 yrs young and very optimistic 

Good luck

• Posted

You are doing good. You are expected to have pain for the first two weeks. It's important to take painkillers regularly according to your doctor. Once the swelling gone down. You will feels so much better. Hang on and don't get discouraged

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.