Osteoarthritis is both hips

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all,

?Well I have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis? in both my hips. I am 50. The x ray showed narrowing of the joint space in both hips. They say it is mild but I have been suffering from pain, weakness and sciatica. It is affecting my left side more than the right which almost feels normal. I have always been fit and a regular gym goer doing a mixture of cardio and weights but this has somewhat knocked my for six. My symptoms are hip, buttock and groin pain resulting in sciatica down the entire left leg. My hamstrings and groin area is very tight. It is almost as if these muscles are pulling on the hip. It's funny things you used to do like pushing a shopping trolley become hard because of the pain, weakness and tightness. Doctor has prescribed me Lansoprazole, Naproxen and Amitriptyline. I have been taking these and they have helped. I am due to see a Physiotherapist in two weeks.

?It's all very frustrating and does get me down sometimes. My Mum who sadly passed away last year also suffered from OA and I can fully understand the problems she was having. ?I would be grateful on any advice from forum members on how I can get myself back to a "normal" life?

?Thank you.

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have oa all over .My r hip done in 1998 , L hip done in 2003 , they are great. Now waiting for two shoulder replacements. Also in my neck , back ,hands and knees. I feel your pain. Don't hesitate for the operations. If not for that ,I'd be in a wheel chair. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Ethel,

?Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear about your OA. I think it's early days for me so I am hoping to stave off surgery for as long as I can. You take care too and I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hello all,

​A quick update. I have now had four Physio sessions. I am doing all the exercises and stretches that have been given to me. All the exercises are taking around 45 mins to complete each day but sticking with them now. I must say my symptoms have improved and I am in less pain. I have found that sitting for long periods at work can be painful so do try and get up regulary. My hamstrings, calfs, adductors, abductors, psoas, and hip flexors are less tight. My range of motion seems to have improved too. I am still taking Naproxen and Amitriptyline although I am considering experimenting by stopping these and see how I get on. I am taking Glucosamine Sulphate twice a day but early days I guess to know if this is helping. I am determined to try and get back to normal. Will keep you posted on progress.

• Posted

I am 61 yo male with OA. Back, hips, knees, and ankles. Have had left hip replacement. Ankles causing incredible pain. Taking hydrocodone 10 mg for pain and diclofenac for inflammation. I am overweight which compounds pain problems. I am treated at VA and my personality is bitter, angry and intolerant, especially of Democrats. Medication just is NOT doing the trick. Am in power chair and need it to get around house and shopping. No cure, just incredible pain.

• Posted

This is a bit of a long shot, and from the way you describe yourself your temperament may not be a good fit, however....

Much of the pain caused by OA (especially when you've had hip OA) is likely to be caused by muscle imbalance. Essentially, the normal tension of groups of muscles is out of whack, subtly (or not so subtly) pulling your entire skeleton out of normal resting position. To visualize this, think of someone with bad posture - it tends to get worse as they age. 

When you have hip or knee OA in one joint only then the imbalance will create twisting and bending of the spine and all the joints. This puts the soft tissue around the joints under abnormal load and in time, especially if you're overweight, you develop what's often referred to as 'trigger points' in the muscles. No one knows for sure what they are, but they feel like tight knots or bands in the muscle. You can get a huge amount of relief simply by massaging the muscles. It's something you can do for yourself - google for 'Self Myofacial Release' or 'Trigger Points'. 

Trigger points tend to form in very specific places and create pain, stiffness and other symptoms. Pain is often referred - in other words, no point looking for the trigger point where you feel the pain as it's likely to be situated elsewhere. However, lots of online documentation on where to find the trigger point responsible for your specific pain pattern.

Trigger Point treatment IS NOT a cure; In order to stop the trigger points forming you'd need to treat the underlying muscle imbalance and that is hard to do. However, it's often possible to manage pain and stiffness extremely well through trigger point treatment.

Typically I'd advise researching online if you fancy trying this - do it yourself rather than go to a professional. However, if you are in a chair and are overweight you might have difficulty getting at the muscles in your low leg, so it's maybe worth looking for someone that is expert in myofascial release?

I was diagnosed with hip OA that later spread to most joints, including feet/ankles. I managed my symptoms  well for a decade with trigger point massage, and ultimately eliminated ALL symptoms by addressing the underlying muscle imbalance. However, I admit that treating the muscle imbalance part is difficult and too much to take on for many people. MFR / Trigger Point treatment is easy though!  

• Posted

So I have been away for quite a while but have been working on trying to get better. I was in two minds whether I should go to the physio classes at my local hospital but I am so glad that I did go. I started off on the beginners classes and have now progressed onto the intermediate. I have realised how weak my muscles are in my bad (left) leg and have slowly been building up the strength. I still have good days and bad days but generally there are now more good days than bad. Sitting for long periods is still a problem but I have learned to get up and walk around. I have been taking Ginger ,Turmeric and Glucosamine Sulphate supplements. To be honest I am not sure if they are helping or if it is more the stretching and exercises. I have cut down drastically on the Naproxen and only occasionally take the Amitriptyline. I have read Susan's book but I am not sure if I have identified my problem as it is very hard to analyse. The exercises in the book have definitely helped. Trigger point therapy also helps to relieve the symptoms. I hope all of you have been getting on ok and making progress. This is definitely a long hard slog but hang in there everyone. If you have any other pointers Susan it would be most appreciated. Good luck everyone.

• Posted

I do actually!!

I've recently refined the approach in the book (I'm going to get version 2 of the book written as I now have much better understanding). Also some youtube videos as people keep asking for them (I finally took the plunge and made one and it wasn't as bad as I feared!). The program in the current book is a bit hit and miss - some report excellent results (complete cure even) in 2 - 3 weeks. Others are slogging away 18 months later - improved, but far from cured. I stand by everything in the book still, but it's too difficult for most people to get their heads around. 

At the beginning of the year I'd been doing a lot of cycling and had a little setback myself - the imbalance (which I clearly hadn't 100% cleared up), crept back in. I had started training at a new gym and one of the trainers there was very interested in myofacial slings (which I talk about in the book - the goal is to strengthen them up). 

Anyway, long story short - I got my own imbalances back in check, but better than ever - this time, really rock solid. He got to observe the process, read the book and provide ideas of his own. During that process, I picked his brains on slings (he has a real knack for spotting what's wrong with people) and I figured out the precise role of the slings in the gait cycle. From there, I worked out one exercise - that translates directly to gait - and this has superb results. 'Tests' with live people is so far proving positive - they're finding it much easier to understand now that it's directly relating to gait. It's amazing what a bit of collaboration can achieve! SO difficult to get a pro to rub shoulders with a mere mortal though - this is the first I've met that's been willing. 

I've got a little private facebook group where I've shared some videos I've made showing how to o the exercise. This is quite a new development so I want to make sure I've got all the details right before committing it to a book. Send me a PM if you'd like to join that group and try out the exercises and I'll send you the link.(It can't do you any harm - it's all safe....just a pretty standard exercise, but the key is understanding exactly how to do it - firing up the right muscles). 

Also, diagnosis isn't important with this new approach - regardless of the precise detail of the imbalance the treatment exercise is the same - you train CORRECT mechanics rather than correct BAD mechanics....if that makes sense. Diagnosis is still helpful as it can provide clues as to where your trouble spots are, but you will make good progress without it. 

The other thing I'd suggest is to get yourself some walking poles as that could well help - it'll certainly make walking a lot less damaging!!!

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your reply. All very interesting. I have sent you a PM regarding the Facebook group. Look forward to trying these out. When is your new book out?

• Posted

I've sent you the link.

The book will be out ASAP. I have a lot of new info that I want to share; I still stand by everything in the first version of the book, but it's incomplete - I'm desperate to get the new book out with all the new info.

However, I don't want to rush and make mistakes. I'm currently writing it - all the new theory; working with a couple of trainers to get their ideas and input and testing it out on little groups of people.

I'm hoping maybe in 3 months it'll be published. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.