Knee replacement in 2 weeks time

Posted , 12 users are following.

I’m 52 and facing knee replacement in 2 weeks time , I do a heavy manual job and have been off work now for several weeks with arthritis , whilst off work I’ve been in less pain and now as the op is nearing I’m feeling very nervous and wondering whether I should ask for injections and postpone the op a while longer . 

‘I have a BMI of 36 and am wondering if it’s best to try and lose weight and have the operation later in the year or if I’m just being scared as I’ve never spent a night in hospital  before .

ive looked on this site and there seem to be a lot of people in pain or still suffering , my preop is on Tuesday and I really don’t know what to do for the best . 

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have been for pre op and now decided to proceed with the operation as arranged in 2 weeks time - knee has felt better recently but a lot of walking and standing today soon brought the pain back - I will be nervous but I hope the help and support of people on here will help me through it all . 

Im lucky to be 52 and never spent a night in hospital - being done in a private hospital but paid for by nhs .

• Posted

Hi Eastie,

Thought about you this morning and was wondering about your decision, glad you made one.  It's a tough choice to make, but the pain is tougher.  Sounds like you'll be having your first tkr at the same time as I am having my second, March 12.  I am nervous too, even though I've been through it once isn't all that comforting, but in the long run I'm glad I'm doing it.  Glad your having it fine in a private hospital!  Keep us updated, hey we can compare notes afterwards! Lol

Take care and many blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Meant to say, glad you're having it done in a private hospital...hate auto correct! Lol

• Posted

Hi Eastie. Hope all proceeds as planned and that you'll be a TKR survivor soon. Sending best wishes. Relax and go with it. xx

• Posted

Strange question I guess but when having spinal anesthetic do you keep your denture in or do you have to remove it?
    • Posted

Hi Eastie,

No question is strange at this point of your preparations!   I have a partial and was allowed to keep it, but it does depend on your anesthesiologist, just ask.  Usually, if the surgery requires intubation they ask you to remove, but for a spinal you're in the clear.

Blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Regarding the stomach injections to prevent blood clots - I was told I’d need these for 14 days - just wondering if there is a tablet alternative I could have rather than injections?
    • Posted

-

I don't think so, but don't worry.

They show you what to do in hospital.

I brought some topical anaesthetic gel called emu gel or emu cream from my local pharmacy and used that, as I didn't like the thought of injecting myself. It worked well and took a little bit of pain away...I just didn't want to cause myself any pain I could avoid because I knew I would have other pain elsewhere! Some people also place an ice pack near the area which numbs it somewhat. Both take away the initial needle prick, though you feel it a little bit, it is dull and not anything to worry about. Using something to numb the area does make it easier to do it to yourself!

• Posted

Hi Eastie,

There is a pill available, Wafarin (Coumadin), but basically it is up to your physician, worth asking though.  Good luck.

Blessings,

Cherry 🍒

• Posted

It's a tiny very thin needle, you can't even feel it go in,nothing to worry about.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

i wouldn’t have thought they’d give you the Cephlex injections unless you’re already on blood thinners like Warfrin or Xerelto for past DVT or heart condition. I’m on blood thinners for life and I had to inject Cephlex 2 days before and 2 days after op.  Needle is very fine and you honestly don’t feel it going in but it does sting a little afterwards for a few minutes and tends to bruise badly.  Really easy to inject yourself, aim and fire😛.  You’ll be fine.  Stop meeting trouble halfway. X

• Posted

Not on blood thinners but the surgeon asks all his patients to have 2 weeks of stomach injections to prevent blood clots starting the evening before surgery
  • Posted

Thanks all - will probably ask wife to do it , 

‘by the way I’m mark and 52 from Coventry 😁

• Posted

I had knee replacement done 2 years ago and i still suffer with pain worse than after i had it done, drs say they cant find anything hmmmm  well whats causing the pain, one night turned over and it went crack and ever since then i had pain, had xray, and scans that was last year and i went back and they said no point in doing more scans , hello that was last year and the pain is getting worse.So i would think very hard before you have the operation, I mean you might come out fine, but becareful cause alot of people i know had it done has had alot of problems after.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Linda although there have been many people who have no regrets and are pleased they had surgery - I’m going ahead with it now so I hope for the best 
    • Posted

Yes, most people are over the moon with their mobility and rejoice in a new lease of life they thought they had lost forever. The vast majority of people, infact. Even if they still have some issues, the benefits exceed them.

Encouragement is the thing people need in the run up to surgery.

It's a step of faith.

It's a wonderful thing we are able to access such treatment. In many parts of the world people cannot access the surgery they need. We are very fortunate to have an opportunity for change.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.