Other Pain After a TKR

Posted , 17 users are following.

People with all sorts of injuries very frequently feel ancillary pain somewhere.  Our brains are wired to avoid pain so it automatically tries to protect the painful area and move the ability to perform some action to another muscle group in the body.

For people with knee surgeries, we subconsciously change out gait, shifting the way we walk and therefore putting the pressure on some other muscle group.  Why?  Because the main musculoskeletal structure that enables us to walk properly is centered in the quads, glutes and core.  Unfortunately, after a knee op and weeks upon weeks of disuse, those muscles have all atrophied...dead.  Ever see someone's arm just out of a cast for 8 weeks?  Toothpick.  Same with your muscles.

So we've shifted our gait and the brain has compensated for the knee pain.  The problem is that it has moved the responsibility of those muscles to others...lower back, hip and pelvis...or...groin and inner thigh...or...calf and ankle...or...others plus combinations.  Very typically, our hips, pelvis and SI joints go out of alignment, pinch the sciatic nerve and we have a wonderful case of sciatica.  Simple chiropractor fix in a few weeks of treatment,  Other times, people report extreme calf and ankle pain.  Here, many people get an inexpensive AFO support to help them through the rough period.

Also, some patients report having one leg measured shorter than the other and rush out to spend hundreds on custom shoe orthotics. STOP!!!  When your hips are out of alignment, it causes that length discrepancy.  Always see a chiropractor or your PT before spending the money!!!  It's probably just a hip alignment issue.

ALL OF THIS IS NORMAL...but people get freaked out.  Deep breath...normal...

My approach to any of this is to go the cheapest, non-invasive route...including NO RX DRUGS!!!  Allopathic (western medicine) docs just love to throw pills at problems when there are better, more natural choices.  I always start with a chiropractor for an alignment evaluation.  Treatments help over time.  I have also found acupuncture to really help in some painful circumstances.  If nothing helps, see your ortho for a next step.

Just know that a lot of this pain is typical and normal as our bodies shift position and muscle groups to avoid pain.  Find the root cause and fix it.  To fix the dead muscle problem permanently, here's the plan...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

PS: Worst Case Scenario - I did have one situation over 5 years ago where the sciatica was so bad that nothing helped.  Chiro, PT, pain shots...nothing.  Saw my neurosurgeon who found a bone spur at L4 that was literally "crushing" (his term) the sciatic nerve root at L4.  Simple spur removal and laminectomy.  Residual pain gone in a few days.  Yeah...sometimes the pain comes from a more serious place...but that's very rare and not as a result of knee surgery.

14 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Many Happy Returns, Chico.

May your generous wisdom long continue to say what counts and reassure us all.

So, stay ‘On the Road’, no more bad trips.

• Posted

Hi Chico

Just saw it was your birthday . Hope it was a fun day ! Wishing you a happy , healthy , pain free year ahead  . Appreciate you and all your posts very much ! 

Debbie

• Posted

Good evening Chico.  Thank you for all your informational posts.  I'm 6 weeks post-of TKR.  ROM coming along fine, swelling reducing, and finally off the powerful pain meds; however, I have a constant - severe pain in my lower outside thigh.  I believe in the IT Band.  I know my tendons/ligaments were shortened and tightened over years of putting off surgery.  Any stretches, best position to sit/sleep in?  Appreciate your thoughts.

• Posted

Believe it or not, the biggest problem is your hamstrings.  They get so tight from non-use that you have to constantly stretch them.  For me, at least, that's my hardest exercise.  I ignored (sshhh...don't tell anyone) all my docs advice about sleeping.  Put a pillow between my legs and rolled on my side. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...  Listen to people on the Forum.  Everyone gets to sleep any way they can.  The whole thing is so exhausting...

• Posted

Thanks for the info. I actually think that its from me not being as active and for the first 6 weeks i slept in the recliner at night. I'm headed back to work next week so will see how it does.

• Posted

Gotta do the muscle rebuild...seriously. All those muscles are atrophied.

• Posted

Because of the issue with my back I've been told not to see a Chiropractor. Say it will make me WORSE. I'm getting a little better.been doing gentle stretching and easy exercises on my back on the floor close to the wall. Today I'm not in tears. The swelling out side of the inside of the knee is gone. What ever happened to it, I hope it doesn't ever happen again.

Blessings

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.