stairs

Posted , 12 users are following.

Just wondering does anyone else have this problem.  When I go down the staris  I freeze. My body doesnt want to go down with the good leg. The operated knee is just stiff and will not bend going down but I can go up with ease.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 5 months post TKR and find that going downstairs is hard for me.  I can go up ok...but down I am not confident. 
  • Posted

I am at 10 months post op on rtkr. I was that way for a while until about 6 months.

?But with me I have no chose but to do the stairs since I have a porch. So if I want tp go outside have to do stairs. I found going up the stairs was easier. But now I don't have too much of problem. The only problem with me is carrying 28 pounds of cat litter up the stairs then I do one stair at a time.

?Stairs take work and patience. Hang in there it will get better

• Posted

I was scared stiff, but my physio therapist started me off with just 1 step, with her standing in front of me.

Try just stepping off bottom stair until you feel your confident enough to do more.

I built up this way, now I go up and down normally.

Hope this helps

Sue

• Posted

Hi. Well its 3 years since i had tkr. My other knee is giving me problems now. As for the stairs i still really struggle. Going down is much harder and i can only do 1 at a time...going up . My knee really hurts when i put pressure on it. .i am glad i had the op but im not fully mobile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.