Sciatic pain 11 weeks post op decompression

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone

Just putting out some feelers really to try and determine whether Im making a fuss like a big baby or if There is actually a problem and I need to get back to the quack.

I slipped a disk at the beginning of march and very quickly my foot went numb. My husband wheeled me into the Doctors and I was referred onto a bupa Doctor... An MRI  was taken revealing a huge prolapsed disk that was squirting out both sides. I was booked in and had the operation on 12th April. I came out of the operation having regained some dorsiflexion in the ankle but still presenting with what I now know to be partial foot drop. I was reffered onto an nhs physio who it seems gave me bad advice as when I went back for my 6 week check the consultant was unhappy with the stretches I was doing and at my request referred me onto a spinal physio. Ive been seeing her two weeks now and im week 11 post op this week. She strapped my foot into an elastic orthotic straight away as the foot has started to turn in and she has been giving me gentle stretches. She took me off of walking for exercise which is the opposit advice given by the previous physio as she says its irritating the sciatic nerve. When I went for my 6 week check the consultant was amazed id regained any movement in the foot and seemed pleased with my progress. At the time I had some nerve pain in the leg but it wasnt too bad.... Since I started trying to do a little more though for example driving or walking I have found that I get intense sciatic pain. Not always as Im doing the thing that I may be doing i.e driving but usually the evening after or very often the next day. I find driving puts me back 2 or 3 days. The physio has advised me not to drive untill the nerve has calmed down.... This could take years though right? The physio has mentioned this week that she may speak with the consultant about reviewing me because of the sciatic pain. Apparently sometimes they give another nerve block steroid injection? I have three kids and my mum has been living with us for months. any advice would be so gratefully received.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

These are just for reference...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/sciatic-nerve-pain-from-the-perspective-of-many-decades-629096

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/other-pain-after-a-tkr-641040

I've dealt with sciatica a lot over my like especially after a TKR, hip replacement and four spine surgeries (two fusions).  On those occasions, the typical culprit is the unconscious change in the way we walk, sit and stand up.  Our minds try to avoid the pain and subconsciously shift how our body does things.  Hip misalignment, pelvic tilt, locked SI joints...all can pinch the sciatic nerve. Except for one time that a bone spur was literally crushing the sciatic nerve root at L4, all of my sciatica problems have been fixed by a chiropractor.  Sometimes the relief was immediate...other times it took a few weeks.  I found someone who specifically has a lot of experience with people who have spine issues plus a lot of metal in them.  She fixes me up just fine.  Consider it...works for me.

• Posted

You are doing really, really well but listen to your body and try to avoid the things which are aggregating your sciatic nerve bundle. The nerves take the most time to repair themselves following surgery but it would be worthwhile being reviewed by your Consultant. Hopefully it is just post-op inflammation but there are meds which can help - Gabapentin or even Baclofen and also things like Diclofenac sodium to reduce inflammation. Whatever you do, do not suffer in silence! Hope you get sorted out soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.