Compensatory pain in non operated leg

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a right TKR on January 30th this year and have recovered well, been back to work for 2 months. I'm Nursing, on my feet for 10+ hours a day. My left leg had no problem at all, until these last weeks when I have had a lot of pain behind my left knee and calf. Have had an xray and been told that it is compensatory pain for my right leg. Has any one else been told this and if so how long does it last. I am limping again and feel that I am going backwards in recovery not foward.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You did well to get back to work 4 months after your op. Being on your feet over 10 hours a day wont help. I was off work 6 months with each knee.
  • Posted

Hi Linda I think you’re amazing to be back at work in such a short time.I am retired and also had op in January.I have had 2 spinal surgeries the one on my lumbar spine failed.

Since having my knee done my back,’good’ knee and left hip have been really sore so I am assuming it’s whatever way my new knee is making me walk that’s causing all the other pain.Hope you get sorted soon.☘️

• Posted

I had knee replacement 7 years ago, and don't remember any other pain elsewhere , but this time had my other knee done 6mths ago and had a lot of lower back pain, my knee that was done years ago is sore , seem when one is sore the other is too so wouldn't be surprised what your doc says is true. But standing that long is a lot after your op

• Posted

Hi Jenny I’m so glad to hear you say about your lower back pain.I had a failed spinal fusion in my lumbar spine a few years ago & since my tkr 6 months ago my back pain is horrendous.I hadn’t seen in any of these posts about back pain after tkr so I’m not glad you have back pain lol but relieved it’s not just me.

• Posted

Wow maybe back to work too soon? Talk to occupational health and your surgeon! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.