I'm 5 weeks pist op partial knee surgery, after physical therapy had terrible pain in the calf of my

Posted , 8 users are following.

After physical therapy last week, had terrible pain in the calf of my leg.was in bed for 2 days , any one else had this happen. I'm doing better but not back to where I was.I canceled my last therapy secession due to the therapists pushed me to hard.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Listen to your body. It will tell you when you over do it. But continue the exercises , even at home. Good luck and feel better. I’m 7 weeks out. Knee is stiff and sometimes sore.  But I can walk without a cane around the house
  • Posted

Hi Janice yes I had dreadful calf pain.I was 99% sure it wasn’t a clot as I’m always on aspirin and had given myself claxine injections for 2 weeks post surgery.

However my own doctor wouldn’t take a risk and sent me to hospital for a scan.It was fine so obviously part of recovery.It went away but still comes from time to time and I’m 6 month’s post surgery.

• Posted

My physical therapists pushed and pushed me, especially bending my knee back , until I would scream and cry and Im a 68 yr old female that has had two babies and this knee pain was worse !!!!  Until I told them NO MORE!!  No more pushing, or bending.  An they stopped.....
    • Posted

I didn’t have much in way of physio because of this , some have no idea and there is no need to push it like this, doesn’t make any difference to the outcome except cause pain and swelling ! Just go at your own pace bending and straitening is all you have to worry about to start with ,
  • Posted

Hey Janice I had a partial knee replacement to the right knee and your just starting out I'm afraid your on a very long road to recovery and you will find a lot of discomfort within your physio sessions make sure to rest the knee and ice pack it I always found that when trying to walk or do physio etc it would swell up and have aching calfs 8 months post op now and my leg is much stronger but even though I finished my physio sessions with the hospital I still try to get physio in daily to strengthen my muscles the more I do my physio the better my knee feels if I don't do it it will stiffen up good luck in your recovery

• Posted

HI Janice!  Yes I have experienced this.  I am 10 weeks post op and woke up in recovery with severe calf pain.  It was soo bad I truly couldn't feel my knee pain.  I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing but you couldn't even touch my calf.  10 weeks later I still have this pain ... Not as severe but a constant dull throbbing.  I've been to two scans fir blood clots.  At my 6 week check up my surgeon told me it was nerve pain coming from my sciatica that sometimes happens during this surgery.  This was the worst pain ever, indescribable as I had my other knee done 10 months ag[u]o.[/u]i have been put on lyrica and my physio has been working with me that we got the pain down incredibly.

i hope this helps you!

• Posted

I'm 8 weeks post op PKR. Went back to work last week knee is swelling more and feels really tight.I carry my ice pack and try to ice it 2 times out of a 8 hour day.any suggestions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.