Suffering with urethral stent

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had kidney stone surgery and stent placed 4 days ago. The pain is excruciating. Going to the bathroom is pure torture and nothing relieves the urgency . Urinating makes it feel as though someone is kicking you in the kidneys. I get the stent out Thursday but now I hear that the pain lingers after stent removal. I'm sick at the thought that this pain is going to continue. Any input would be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I’m so sorry you are going through this; I can relate to your pain! My stent caused me huge pain all the time but going to the bathroom was the worst! I had to scream every time. I was given anti spasm meds and the best thing for me was Voltarol suppositories or Diclofenac sodium. That was the only thing that helped me. Don’t worry about residual pain once the stent is removed. It’s not always the case and sometimes (mostly even), the relief is instant. I have had different experience every time at stent removal. Mostly it is fine. Only once or twice I needed the Diclofenac to calm the renal colic. Just ask for that as it needs a prescription in the UK. Just try to be prepared with anti inflammatory pain relief. 

All the best and good luck for a speedy recovery. 

Angela. 

• Posted

Thank you Angela, your response calmed my nerves regarding stent removal. I'm sorry to hear you have had to experience this on numerous occasions and hope you never have to go through that again. I surely can relate. Thank you for your kind wishes.

• Posted

I have had that problem . I want you to know that things get better with time. You didn't mention what kind of surgery was performed...lithotripsy..or a Pcnl. Is the stone gone or stuck? There is a few meds to help with the bladder spasms...ask you doctor. Hopeful the stent is being removed soon..lots( I mean LOTS ) of water and rest if possible.

• Posted

The stone was removed surgically Thursday evening and the stent is to be removed this Thursday so it will be exactly one week. I feel for people who have had the stent for longer periods of time. Its only been 5 days for me and it's horrific. My Dr said there would be mild discomfort but this is above and beyond "mild". I was not prepared for this. Thank you for responding.

• Posted

Yes lots of water and rest. I tried to go shopping in a mall, as I felt ok... and regretted all the walking as it made things much worse!

Definitely you will feel much better as soon as the stent is out. They usually just pull it out fast and it makes you jump; 😳🤦🏼??? but it’s not painful. I did get renal colic on two occasions but the Diclofenac sorted that out. Good luck xxxx 

• Posted

Once the stent is out the pain will be gone. I had a few twinges afterward the removal but nothing close to the pain caused by the stent.  Keep drinking water, that helped me greatly.
    • Posted

I am so glad you are feeling better. Yes I drink so much water it's sickening but I know the body needs it. I never looked forward to going to the Dr so much!! I am actually am excited. (Sounds crazy I know). Thank you for the advise. It is appreciated!!

• Posted

Hi Tracy, I'm so sorry to read of you pain and experience.. I had my kidney stone lasered 10 days ago and have been in excruciating pain ever since, I firtunately had the catheter out yesterday but was informed the stent will be in a few more weeks.

😭

Last year i had a double blockage of both tubes and had stents in both kidneys and i must sat that after my stents were removed I had almost instantaneous relief ! I pray on your behalf that your discomfort and pain eases after it's removed ...

• Posted

Mike, Thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry you too are suffering. I cannot imagine 2 stents at once. The pain must have been unbearable. Your response has helped me greatly, knowing that this nightmare will be over after the removal. I wish you a speedy recovery and lots of luck. I hope you are pain free very, very soon.

• Posted

You are welcome, speedy recovery and please let us know how you get on post stent ?
    • Posted

Yes I will let you know Thursday how I make out and hopefully can be an encouraging voice for someone else like you all have been for me. 😀😀

• Posted

Hi how did you get on ? Hope you are feeling better now the stent is out?! 

Angela. 

• Posted

Hi Angela, Thank you for asking. I'm not doing so great. I still have frequent urgency and every night I get bladder spasms that keep me up for 2hrs and than it just stops. I've called the Dr to ask for anti spasmadic medication and he said no. Its not like I'm asking for pain meds which they also never gave me by the way. Is this normal to still feel this way? I am on an antibiotic but I'm concerned that this pain is still on going.

• Posted

Dear Tracy, 

Oh noooo. I’m so sorry to hear you are having pains still. That is a ridiculous response from your doctor!! Ask to see a different doctor. Make a fuss! Go to A&E if you have to. 

I’m so sorry and hope you get some help soon. I used Voltarol suppositories which were amazing relief. Maybe you can ask for some?

All the best and big hugs. I really feel for you. 

Angela.  😔

• Posted

Thank you Angela. I appreciate your support and kindness. Hugs back!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.