WHAT HAVE I DONE

Posted , 21 users are following.

omg

i had my tkr a week ago and feel apart from the intense vomiting post op that there is very little improvement.

i want my old leg back

i want to be able to sleep

i want my back bum and hips to stop hurting

im trying so hard with my exercises

i keep crying ..think cos im soooo tired

really wish i had not done this and managed with my old pain

sorry for the moan

someone please tell me it will get better

xx

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i am 6 months post op. it will gradually improve. i could not take any narcotics due to severe vomiting. The pain was immense. Could not sleep. (Finally was given a muscle relaxant that did not make me sick but helped me sleep a bit.)Dealt with sciatic pain due to not walking correctly for a long time. felt just like you. Too bad they do not tell you the real story of recovery.

The key is to stay with the physical therapy. (I cried too the 1st couple of weeks). use ice as much as possible. KNOW THAT THIS IS PRETTY TYPICAL....and that it will eventually get better. HANG IN THERE!

• Posted

Hi Penny

welcome to the club i for sure feel just like you i'm 4mth and it has not been a success at all it feels just like it did b4 i had my op Iwent to see my DR Thursday morning due to the lain and that it gave way while at work i still cant bend it enough to get up the stairs i do my exercises daily i have good muscle tone doctor was impressed with how I could raise my leg and how strong my muscles are I cannot understand why I’m still suffering my left knee also needs a full replacement but I can’t even think about that until this one is right I’ve got to wait at least 12 months because in a way it’s still early days and hope for a miracle im so sad that i feel like this as i was so positive about the operation

stay strong keep positive keep doing your exercises and make sure you take your medication don’t suffer in silence

• Posted

Hi penny it's early days and yes it's uncomfortable it's horrendous seems like it'll never get better but it does. I'm 7 months been there too but now it's fab. Pain free even thinking of getting my other knee done and if you'd said that I would even be thinking of it I'd have laughed and said no way will I put myself through this pain ever. Well like childbirth it's in the past so keep on with medication ice ice ice and rest. You'll get there so good luck chin up xxxxx

• Posted

hi Penny

i know your frustration im coming upto 6 months and some days are worse than others but on a whole hell of alot better than before op.

i still take some pain killers but less each day. i am feeling stiff was wondering cos its turned so cold xxx

• Posted

Penny

The first few weeks are hell - but put everything you have into Physical Therapy - ice and elevate as much as possible and I promise you that it will improve. Also, take the pain medicine as prescribed so the pain does not get out of control. Stay out ahead of the pain.

There were days in PT I actually cried from pain and frustration. I feel certain that many people felt the same while going through all of this. But again, PT is the key for a smoother full recovery.

Hang in there and listen to your body - but again ice and elevation (knee above your heart) are key factors in your recovery!

Wishing you best in your recovery.

I had my TKR this past April - still stiff but no more pain like I had prior to the replacement.

Susan

• Posted

it's one tough operation , very tough but very worthwhile, your only a week or so post op, give it time it does get much better , I've had both mine done and wouldn't go back to how I was before , it's worth all the sleepless nights and pain , it really does take time don't do too much take it easy but don't stop , it will be so much better honest

• Posted

So sorry to hear what your going through.

I'm sure that if we knew how it would really turn out, we would never go through with op.

I'm now 8 months down the line and realize that it's a long road to recovery, I'm 59 and was told the younger you are the more it hurts.

When I came out of hospital, they put me on morphine which really helped.

After this I tried all off the shelf pain relief which did not help at all.

Speak to you own doctor as he can give you pain relief. THIS IS A BIG OP.

As for exercise, do it at your own pace, I was doing exercise everyday until my PT told me off - too much.

I had to do lunges, cycling, knee bends, up and down the swimming pool and at each end holding on and bringing my knees up then in and out and then walking, etc etc etc.

Now I go to the gym 3 times a week and exercise, cycling, rowing, leg press, and and anything else going, also out walking with my dog.

I can now play a little doubles tennis twice a week, although my running is a little slow.

I have been told that it could take up to a year or 18 months before my knee finally kicks into normality, but I accept that its a long road.

Do the physio and listen to your PT, if your finding it hard speak to them, thats what there there for.

Give it time, early days.

Best wishes

Sue

• Posted

One week down...51 to go. A full recovery takes a year and the first 30-90 days are horrible. Can't avoid it...just gotta get through it. During that time, you'll work at PT to get your ROM back. Things really get better at the 3 month mark...typically. In the meantime, you have to work with your doc to manage your pain. It is not unusual to switch meds and doses around to find out what works for you. Totally normal.

Click on my name and then "Discussions" on the far right side. Have about 30 posts out there on all sorts of subjects that you might find helpful.

You're on what seems like a looooong journey but the year goes fast and you'll be dancing at your one-year TKR anniversary party!!! Just remember your three tools: time, work and patience. It will all come together...promise.

• Posted

the early weeks and months are hard...no denying it.

but see this as an investment..in yourself.

you are going to have to be very patient.

You are doing brilliantly. choose to believe it,

It is hard to accept limitations and TKR is a hugh challenge!

It is early days. Your body been through major trauma and it is reacting normally. You will need to be very patient with your knee and with yourself. Be resolved to be kind to yourself and to your knee.

Recovery is not about achievement, but allowance. Healing takes time. Easy to get anxious about the slow pace of things, and fear the worst, whatever the worst might be as you imagine it! Yet, as the weeks go by, you will notice little steps of progress.

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It was written to convey the need for patience, something our culture in the western world is not really geared up to! It has a lot of useful suggestions and information.

I kept my narrative as positive as I could when writing my story and I found this helped me. but believe me, I had some mega low times too!

Everyone's journey is very different, but it can be reassuring to read of others experiences and be able to see progress made...at its own pace, unique to the individual. Skim reading recommended! But possible to just dip in and out of, as with this forum! There is an immense amount of experience here in the forum also. Blessing and good wishes to you!

Writing helped me stay positive, as it gave me a project to work on. Making a journal of your own experience might be helpful to you. It is so easy to over look the achievements made.

it's hard. but tyouv will make progress...at your own bodies pace.

be kind to yourself.

A large part of the challenge of a TKR is emotional and psychological.

Mine is just one patient account of TKR on the internet, there are many others, and plenty of helpful people on this forum who have had knee replacement surgery. Remember, everyone's experience is different. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

I feel the same way! I had this TKA 3 weeks ago and I'm miserable. In so much pain. Doc lowered my pain med dose and I get it they don't want addiction but the lower dose does NOTHING! At least I got a little sleep with the better stuff now I don't sleep much at all. Constant throbbing and stiffness. I use the strap from the hospital to work on my flexion, I had it pretty good maybe 5 or less and it went back to the way it was now at least back to 10 and its so stiff I cry daily! I just feel so depressed the constant pain

,no sleep and frustration. I feel like this is never going to improve!!! My husband is working over over time to make up for me being off so I never see him and am home alone alot! Im just so sad and feel so hopeless. I need the other knee done too but don't want to go through this again!! I finished my income PT and start out PT today. I sure hope this out PT helps me!! Thanks for listening and glad to hear I'm not alone. Feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.